GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

White Walls?

Go down 
+16
1tireman
JoeT
stewzer55
MalibuSSwagon
stationedwagon
RedDawg76
buickwagon
Tomestonebilly
95BRMW
seanb
Sprocket
Mark 96 Roady
Andebe
jayoldschool
silverfox103
DBeaSSt
20 posters
AuthorMessage
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm

The time will come soon when I need new tires for the Fleetwood and OCC. In looking around the usual places, I'm finding increasingly fewer whitewall options. The Fleetwood will be due first so I'm looking for it's size which is 235/70/15

Discount Tire Direct has the White (and yellow) wall Vogues which I may go with but would prefer the traditional WW.

Tire Rack has one, made by Avon out of the UK. They are....$300 EACH!! Um.. I'd go to Coker and buy a wide white wall from them (for less) before I'd buy those.

Cooper has their Trendsetter SE which is a possibility despite the lack of 235/70/15 size. Just mounted my last brand new Lifeliner for the spare on the FW.

So, what other sources do you all have for this dying breed of tire?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
silverfox103
silverfox103

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm looking at tires in the future also. I had a tire go on the Caprice Wagon on the way down to WF Daytona. It was a big problem finding a white wall. Finally did, it's definitely not a name brand, and I don't want to look where it's made. I have a thing about buying US products when possible.

Keep us posted. I think Mark 96, Jayoldschool and maybe Pat and Dave have bought WW tires. Can't remember the name, but made in China. I think they were under $100 (that is my price range).

Keep us posted

There is always Port o Walls.

Tom
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:30 pm

225 75 15 Runway Enduro 75s. Cheap, ride nice, look great. China.

White Walls? 016
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Diamondback tires has several options...Warning,they are pretty proud of them. You could always go to youtube and watch the homemade w/w...Its pretty entertaining,lol
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
225 75 15 Runway Enduro 75s.  Cheap, ride nice, look great.  China. Exactly. I have them on my 93 Fleetwood and recently put them on my Roady. They are about $80 or so each, plus shipping. My only complaint is that the white walls are not pure white, like the Firestone wide whites I have on my 78 Coupe De Ville. They aren't yellow or anything, just not as "clean" a white as the more expensive tires. But, for the cost, and the great ride, they can't be beat. For a daily driver I really don't think you can do any better.

White Walls? 016
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 pm

A couple of close ups.

White Walls? 005

White Walls? 007-1
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 2:59 pm

What year is that coupe deville. my Dad had an '80 in light blue with blue top and blue guts.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Not a Coupe DeVille. It's an 81 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance. The DeVille has a shorter vinyl top, and the full size side rear windows.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly, it looks like a lot of the tire manufacturers, even Cooper are going to China now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Mark 96 Roady

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 2:35 am

It's sad, but buying stuff from China is unavoidable. Earlier this year, every time I bought something, I looked to see where it was made. It is frightening-most common consumer items are made there. But, perhaps here is the reason why. There is a company called Tervis that makes great thick insulated plastic cups. They are made here. They really work well, and are nearly indestructible. But, each cup is about $15!! I have several of them, and they are great to have in a car on a hot day, but it seems hard to believe that they need to cost that much. The sad truth is that if they were made in China and imported here they would probably be $5.
Back to top Go down

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 8:25 am

I have a lot of those Tervis tumblers, too. They're awesome.

But yeah. Such is life these days.
Back to top Go down
seanb

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 pm

I was able to get a set of Hankook Mileage Plus 2 in 235/70/15 not too long ago. These are WW and I believe Korean made. They were not too expensive if I recall.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 am

I'm running the same ones Jay posted except mine are under the Champiro brand (Runway replaced Champiro). For a Chinese tire, they're not bad. They are getting harder to find now just like all other white walls.
Back to top Go down
Tomestonebilly

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Question  Has anybody tried that flex paint that seals leaks in anything thats on TV it comes in white and its rubber based ? I have used some I got from Home Depot but it was in black, it still works after a year up on my roof on my shop, Wink  just make a template out of a piece of metal an paint away cheers you can have any size whitewalls you want.
Back to top Go down

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Tomestonebilly wrote:
 Question  Has anybody tried that flex paint that seals leaks in anything thats on TV it comes in white and its rubber based ? I have used some I got from Home Depot but it was in black, it still works after a year up on my roof on my shop, Wink  just make a template out of a piece of metal an paint away cheers you can have any size whitewalls you want.

Why dont you try your idea out and then let us know how it works out?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

I have used white tire paint marker to highlight the lettering on a motorcycle tire. It worked pretty good.
Back to top Go down
RedDawg76

RedDawg76

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm

What about Porta Walls? Anyone ever try them? You can buy them a Porta walls dot com. They are just inserts that you put in when mounting your tires.Then you could have the best of both worlds. You could have the tire you really probably want which usually isn't whitewall in white walls.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Hate to admit it, I used Porta Walls 50 years ago.

Tom
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 pm

The best tire for the money I found was a Hankook in a white wall. Bought a set of 235/75/15
's at discount tire for $72.00 each. 70,000 miles or five years on the tread. Seems most others are rated for 40,000 miles. I noticed Nebraska tire shows white walls in the same size under a different brand for $66.00 and some change. I recently bought another 96 Roadmaster Woody and the black walls that were on it didn't last the day. I stopped at discount tire on my way home.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 11:22 pm

235/75 are like giant balloons. Eek.
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 11:46 pm

They make them in 225/75/15 also but the 235's are extra load with 50 pounds max pressure. Even at Max the car still rides nice.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 4:30 pm

My OCC came with new Milestar touring tires installed. Nice ride, great traction in the dry and wet. I drove the car all last winter and had no issues getting through heavy snow storms. I might just buy another set when this set wears out.

http://www.milestartire.com/tires/ms775-0
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Chinese tires scare me, white walls are hard to find, 15" tires are getting harder and harder to find for cars. Raised white letters are becoming more and more rare as well.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Check out the Hankook Optimo H724.
They are available with a white sidewall.

I've got a set (blackwalls) on my GTO; so far, I am very happy with them.
Not expensive, either.

Last edited by JoeT on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected error)

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
1tireman

1tireman

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Del-nat tires offer a line of Delta Majestic tires with a white wall in some sizes. I know they have a 225/70R15 WW not sure about 235 but there is only 1/2 inch difference in the two sizes. Also check out TBC brand tires, they distribute a lot of your Elderado, Sigma etc tires. We will probably start seeing more Indonesian and Korean tires as entry level tires. Last month we received word we would see up to a 80% increase in price of Chinese tires. In turn we will probably see a noticible hike in all tire prices over all. I work for a Independently owned tire store that has 16 locations across Louisiana and Mississippi and been in business since 1938. They have had a relationship with Del-Nat tires for years but as of the 1st we no longer do and have moved to TBC for our entry level tires. I hate to admit it but most American manufacturer's have out priced their tires for us working class folks. Cooper is the only one I can afford and only at employee price.
Sorry I get carried away when I get to typing and in person I can talk your ears off.

Here are a couple WW in the 235/70R15 I found while looking around at some of our suppliers.

Hankook H725 retails around $119 ea.

Yokohama Avid touring around $93 ea.

Yokohama Aegis around $102 ea.
Back to top Go down
Shnalla

Shnalla

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 2:45 am

Take a look Maxxis MA-1.
They are definitely not the best tire on earth, but they are decent for the money (around $100). I know I know, Maxxis is a korean brand...

Maxxis MA-1 White Wall

I've got a set of Goodyear Regatta on my 84 Caprice, I absolutely love it but I can't find them anymore.
Good grip on wet road, quiet, comfortable and american made Cool
I guess theses tires are older than 10 years, and sadly I will have to replace them for security reasons.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 am

I just bought a set of Hankook 235/75/15s for the White Elephant. They are slightly bigger than the 225/75s, but they also made my speedo more correct. $96 each mounted and balanced plus tax.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 11:46 am

Or you could just do this...https://youtu.be/JnwevOfIUqA
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:29 am

Wow. I wonder how that affects the integrity of the sidewall of the tire?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:49 am

There are alot of those videos on youtube. Some of them look amazing when done,but Im with you. Cool wide white but at what cost?
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 1:29 am

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 11:14 am

B- tops...lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White Walls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Walls?   White Walls? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Walls?
Page 1 of 1