GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP changing front shocks.

Go down 
+10
phantom 309
silverfox103
94Woody
convert2diesel
200OZ
Deadmanonduty
sherlock9c1
Gastt
BigBlackBeaSSt
Juanjo_NY
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Juanjo_NY

HELP changing front shocks. Empty
PostSubject: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:00 pm

hi,

I'm trying to change the front shocks in my 93 Roadmaster wagon.
But no matter how hard I put the visegrip still can't get the bolt out, she shaft of the shocks turn with the bolt.
Actually on the right side the spring position is not giving me any room to put the visegrip.
Is there a plan B in this case?
Or any tips.!

thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Cut the nut off with a cut off wheel or split the nut with a nut splitter.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't think I can fit a cut off wheel where the bolt is, much less a nut splitter!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Ok, I'm really confuse now... that looks like a socket, how is suppose to help me! I'm sure I'm missing something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 pm

It goes over the shaft.

But if you're not intending on saving the shocks, just break them off.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Sawzall
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 9:22 pm

what is the best way to break it off?

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Take a deep socket whatever the size of the nut is, and a looong extension. Put it on top of the nut and rock it front and back until the shaft and nut snap off.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 pm

HELP changing front shocks. Thumb
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:19 pm

When you put the new front shocks on, grease the threads and the end of the stud, then put a short length of oil cooler hose over it. This will keep the threads as new.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 10:00 am

Long extension is the easiest way by far.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 am

shock - 1
socket - 0
HELP changing front shocks. _DSC1189-001
need to get a impact socket for round 2.

looks like I'm not going anywhere anytime soon with my woody!
HELP changing front shocks. _DSC1196-001-1
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Well, that didn't go well for ya. I agree with the others on the socket extension trick, keep at it, you'll get it.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 1:49 pm

200OZ wrote:
Well, that didn't go well for ya. I agree with the others on the socket extension trick, keep at it, you'll get it.
X2. Make sure the bottom of the shock is still bolted in, otherwise all your doing is moving the shock back and forth.

Bill
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Yikes, that cheap Crapsman Socket was just an accident waiting to happen. I hope your knuckles didn't take a beating.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:12 pm

I replaced the shocks on my two wagons recently. On both cars, the socket and extension trick worked on one side. The other side I had to chisel off.

Tom
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 am

I burn em off with a torch,.
did the orange car,. about 20 mins total,.
its easiest with the "A" arms in the normal ride height position
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 am

a dremel and several cut off discs will work too.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 pm

On my safari van (which have an insanely tight area to get the shock nut off), I cut it with a sawzall and a good long blade (I use lenox.) One worked, one didn't. I ended up backing it off partway with visegrips and rocking it back and forth until it snapped.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Hope this makes sense...but here is how I do them.

Front wheel off.

Deep socket medium extension (I do not go above the A-arm dust shield ever)  

Small pipe that fits over your ratchet handle.  

Bend, turn nut, bend, turn nut, bend...yes you will turn the shaft too...but you basically work the shaft under the nut until it breaks off.  It takes me about 3 mins to do one.  It does not take much effort to bend once you get started and you can bend it at a greater angle working low. (plus you don't mess up the dust shield)

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Ok,
finally got the front shock out by breaking the bolt off.
All 4 shocks were pretty much dead, and the rear spring about an inch shorter. So I guess I'll feel a little difference when I'm done.Wink
HELP changing front shocks. _DSC1230-002
Thanks again for all your inputs and help.

PS.
what made a big difference was loosing the front shocks from the bottom, that give me a little more room to grab the shock shaft with the vise-grip. Which was necessary to brake the bolt off.
I think that if from the get-go I have that extra room for the vise-grip things could have been a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 10:51 am

Just asking here, but why do you need to have a Vise Grip on the shaft to break off the nut?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
68scott385

68scott385

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 6:58 am

I believe your new rear springs are overload springs. They will increase the rear ride height by an inch or two. See how the coils are closer together at one end? Those springs get progressively harder to compress as more weight is added.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP changing front shocks.   HELP changing front shocks. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP changing front shocks.
Page 1 of 1