GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front End Handling and Shocks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
steel-and-fire

Front End Handling and Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Now that the 89 wagon can move, it has been very apparent how sloppy the suspension/handling is.  The similarities between the older and...less...older B-bodies make advice a lot easier at least. Figured to get a start on sorting which parts to get while the budget recovers from the transmission cost.  I mean I still need to install a new heater core.  Luckily, its in the engine bay next to the blower motor.

Front shock recommendations I have read:
Via ISSF - Monroe 550012 Severe Service Shock Absorber (though i hate that yellow)
Via Rockauto -  KYB Gas-a-Just KG4515
Seems to be the best options to stiffen the front end without altering ride height or springs.

Sway bars.  I have read multiple threads on from using Ford bars to buying rear control arms that incorporate aftermarket sway bars. That can wait as I do more research.  What have you guys used for the fronts and rear?

I am always open to recommendations or other alternatives.  Just trying to get a sense of where to start.  I appreciate the help/feedback.

Notes:
Springs won't be touched.
Rear shocks - Monroe 58574 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Coilovers.  Have done wonders for the rear.
Been told my right Idler or steering arm was a bit tired.  Explains why it doesn't like to stay in a straight line for long. Anything special in this department or just the $30 part from Rockauto?

Front End Handling and Shocks Photo3_zps1ec9fad1

Last edited by steel-and-fire on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I just ordered the firmer set of KYB shocks for my 91 OCC.Got lucky while trolling and found the rear set on closeout for 18 dollars each,so I ordered those and a set for the front.
Front HD KG 5458
Rear HD KG 5507
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm

By the way,I have contacted the seller to see if they might have anymore of these shocks at this price!Waiting to hear back from them now just in case anyone hear would like to get in on this deal.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
By the way,I have contacted the seller to see if they might have anymore of these shocks at this price!Waiting to hear back from them now just in case anyone hear would like to get in on this deal.
Thanks for the help Flasheroo.

How does the firmer shocks affect your ride?  Specifically the fronts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 am

I love love LOVE the Severe Service shocks on my wagon. They firm it up quite nicely. You will notice the biggest difference here. How many miles on the car? Front springs are cheap, and might give you a significant difference, too.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 9:48 am

Stingroo wrote:
I love love LOVE the Severe Service shocks on my wagon. They firm it up quite nicely. You will notice the biggest difference here. How many miles on the car? Front springs are cheap, and might give you a significant difference, too.
Thanks for the advice.
96,750-ish for the current mileage.  I'll bet the springs have never been touched since it was new. Thinking around 100,000 miles I'll spring for new springs.  Maybe sooner after researching around.  The front shocks though are just standard air shocks installed mid 2011 (81,888 miles).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm

I got my front Moog springs for about $75 shipped on Amazon. Might as well.

Also in your pics, I can see that at least one of the bushings on that sway bar end link is cracked and brittle. Those are cheap and easy to replace, too. You can buy Energy suspension polyurethane end link kits at any auto parts store. Check the condition of your bushings to the frame as well.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 am

This is what happens when the wagon is stored, its too cold to work, and you start buying parts on sale:

Hellwig 5720 Front Sway Bar
Hellwig 5820 Rear Sway Bar (waiting)
Proforged 102-10013 High Performance Idler Arm
Moog DS899 Steering Center Link Tie Rod End
(2) Monroe 550012 Severe Service Shock Absorber
Energy Suspension 9.8117R End Link Set With Hardware (Thanks for the tip Stingroo)

(And a replacement Headlight Bezel and corner light)

Hopefully this will tighten the 97K mile handling. Admittedly, I am a bit worried about the shocks since I am not sure how much firmer they are going to make the ride. The springs are still the same and its has 225/75/R15 tires so nothing is low profiled.  Worse case I swap them for something smoother or just stay on the highways.

Front End Handling and Shocks Photo2_zps83a716df

Front End Handling and Shocks Photo1_zps026745a5

Front End Handling and Shocks Photo3_zps4a52e5c1

Front End Handling and Shocks Photo5_zps25036c49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm

You will love the shocks. They are great. They don't "rattle your teeth out" like some here claim.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Stingroo wrote:
You will love the shocks. They are great. They don't "rattle your teeth out" like some here claim.

You have young teeth Ray, just wait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Hahaha.

My car needs to be LOWER.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 4:25 pm

200OZ wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

You have young teeth Ray, just wait.

And very smooth roads too!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm

The Severe Service shocks are great, like them almost as much as the Bilsteins.
While your in there, check the ball joints and upper control arm bushings.  I replaced just about everything in the steering and suspension on my Caddy before I realized those were part of my issue (if not all of it!).
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Stingroo wrote:

come drive your car in the north east,..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

I like my awesome roads, though.

And lack of snow. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 am

Stingroo wrote:

Lucky. We just got a break from snow around NYC. Will say this though, the giant SUV car cover I bought from Pepboys was one of those best investments I ever made for the wagon.

phantom 309 wrote:

Haha.  You are telling me.  Potholes galore on the streets and some highways after these storms.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Stingroo wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

I like my awesome roads, though.

Florida drivers,........nuff said.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am

Stingroo wrote:
I got my front Moog springs for about $75 shipped on Amazon. Might as well. 

I think changing the springs is now in the budget since MOOG CC623s are $40 on Amazon.  Should compliment the Monroe Sensa-Trac Coilover shocks in the rear.

Not sure about the front springs, though.  Want to try and retain the ride. Any suggestions? Front seems to be harder to find.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Well, I dropped the car with Moog 5662 front springs.

No idea on a stock replacement.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 am

Finally, all the suspension and steering parts are done.  All the parts previously mentioned plus the rear received some Moog CC623 Variable Rate Coil Springs.

Now when I turn the car it stays level and doesn't lean like someone balancing on one foot.

In regards to the front severe service shocks, took a 120 mile roundtrip drive to Long Island via Belt Parkway and CrossIsland.  Stop start and straight cruising. They make the wagon feel planted, but like a car when you hit a bump.  They do not "rattle your teeth out" (but I am 25) as mentioned, but before when I hit a bump it seemed to happen underneath the car and not in the cabin if that makes sense. They are good and will probably keep them for now or the next project (maybe give em away at Wagonfest), but I think I'll switch to a softer set.  Get some of the Buick ride back.

A happen accident though, the shocks managed to get my right front speaker working again. lol.

Overall, she has much more stability than before and feels safer to drive at speed on the highway.

Also found out the vibration noise I was hearing slowing down from 25 to 5 was the drive-shaft U-joint. Both of those replaced.

Front End Handling and Shocks Sus1_zpseb43a232

Front End Handling and Shocks Sus3_zps17cb5bd8

Front End Handling and Shocks Sus4_zpsba1c1f13
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Man those CC623s make the rear sit so high. I never realized how mine used to sit. lol
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Man those CC623s make the rear sit so high. I never realized how mine used to sit. lol

I think it is more prominent with the boxys because of the exposed wheel arch.

Definitely has risen from when I bought it.  I drove it for at least a good half a year with collapsed manual pump shocks in the rear. I could fishtail it because the rear sagged on the springs.

Despite the car's angle, she isn't accelerating in this Pic:
Front End Handling and Shocks IMG_2127_zps8885633d

It's also how my rear bumper boat anchored a curb.
Front End Handling and Shocks IMG_1259
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Love this thread it's got me itching for summer time so I can get started on my ride!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front End Handling and Shocks   Front End Handling and Shocks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front End Handling and Shocks
Page 1 of 1