GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front shocks?

Go down 
+4
Gastt
81X11
COL
My Betty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:08 pm

I decided to get new shocks all around on the Betty. When I went to the auto parts store, they asked ME if my car required the heavy duty shocks or the standard. I told them I have the wagon and I got a vacant stare.... Having to guess at this point, I ordered the standard shocks thinking the heavy duty shocks were for a limousine or Hurst.

Anyway, I put them on and the cars rides great but it still seems a little floaty in the front. Should I have purchased the heavy duty shocks? Is there a completely different brand that works best?

Thanks in advance, Mike
Back to top Go down

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Whats the brand name of your current shocks?
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Mike,
I got Bilstien HD on al four corners. Love them. Firm but not harsh. 100% improvement. Some others on the forum agree others do not. Bilstien is on the high end on cost but worth it and have a great warentee.
There are tons of threads on shocks here. Look em up to see others experiences.
Dick
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Ok thanks. I think they're Monroe. I can't remember.
Back to top Go down

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I did high end Monroe's in the front and Monroe Severe Service in the rear - Love em! They really tightened up the back end.
Back to top Go down

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I have the Monroe Severe Service on all four corners. They're considered to be the "poor man's" Bilstein, but apparently are more firm. Personally, I think they ride nicely (but I also live in Florida with nicer roads than most, so YMMV).
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I have the Monroe Severe Service on all four corners. They're considered to be the "poor man's" Bilstein, but apparently are more firm. Personally, I think they ride nicely (but I also live in Florida with nicer roads than most, so YMMV).

Roads here, especially 101 Pacific Coast Highway, not so good. When I got the car it was horrible riding. It bounced all over the place. Now it is a real pleasure.
Dick
Back to top Go down

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am

Yeah. There's one stretch of I95 near me, when I had my worn out shocks and springs, it was near sea-sickness.

Terrible.

Did the shocks - whole different experience. Rear springs are done, now I have everything to do the front end in March before Daytona. Looking forward to the ride Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

KYB Gas-A-Justs from Rock Auto. Cheaper than the local parts store by a bunch and fantastic balance of ride and firmness. Smooth but not harsh....love them. My 2-cents!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

Stay away from Monroe Sensatrac I put them in the front of my Fleetwood and I hate them.

Ray, you haven't seen bad roads until you've been to NE.
Back to top Go down

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 am

Tim - I lived in New England for five years. :p
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:29 am

Mike,

I got Bilstien HD on al four corners, on my 95 SS Wagon. I got the shocks for the 80's Boxy Caprice.. They will take a few miles to break in.. I also have the Hotchkis sway bars front and rear.. I also put on a pair of BMR tubular rear lower control arms.. You don't mention what year or model of wagon that you have, that would be of some help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks, my wagon is a 96 Roadmaster. I think I'll see what my local auto parts store has. I think I'll either go with Bilstein or Monroe severe.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

My Betty wrote:
Thanks, my wagon is a 96 Roadmaster. I think I'll see what my local auto parts store has. I think I'll either go with Bilstein or Monroe severe.

Everyone is full of advice, but from someone that lived in North Jersey (Basking Ridge) and experienced the WONDERFUL cracked, frost heaved, and lumpy ancient old roads in NJ, I really do not think you want the Monroe SS shocks. I had them on the front my '96 Roady wagon and ended up taking them off less than a year later...after getting tired of hearing the change rattle in the dashboard coin box over every little bump and highway expansion joint...and Texas roads are smooth! I swear they caused rattles in that car that were not there when I installed them. I loved them at first, car went from boucing all over the place to FIRM, but to me, they were just too harsh, it no longer rode like a Buick...it was stiffer than my Firebird! I will also say I did have Impala SS wheels with 235/55/17 tires, and I'm sure those added to the harsher ride, so it may have not been all the Monroe SS's fault.

Switched to the KYB Gas-A-Just and it's the best of both worlds, smooth over bumps but no float or wallow, and in addition through Rock Auto, they're cheap!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

KYB Part # KG5504 Gas-A-Just
Rear; Estate Wagon $31.79

KYB Part # KG4515 Gas-A-Just
Front; Wagon; $33.79

I wrote about it on my Roadmaster: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t5548-roady-front-end-rebuild-rear-springs-plus-added-fun
And on my Custom Cruiser: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7628-new-rear-springs-and-shocks-ordered-for-the-92-occ - Only done the rears on the OCC, but love the ride.

Oh and I put over-the-counter Monroe Sensatraks on my '86 Caprice sedan, and they were WAY too soft. The car was way too floaty. I never got around to swapping them out...but unless you want it to ride like a boat, avoid those.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

Great. Thanks! I found the KYB. Maybe I'll go with that. The Bilsteins look good but their super expensive.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am

Stingroo wrote:
Tim - I lived in New England for five years. :p

Then you know what I'm talking about. (Unless you lived outside of the city)
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:39 pm

I decided to go with the KYBs for the front.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 pm

I've been running the Monroe SS shocks on two of my wagons and like the ride. I even bought Mikes 1 yr old cast offs....but no shitty Jersey roads down here.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm

My Betty wrote:
I decided to go with the KYBs for the front.

Good deal, you'll like them. Just make sure you order the Gas-A-Just, not the GR2 shocks. GR2 are stock replacements....floaty. The Gas-A-Just are what you want.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Got it. KG4515 Gas-A-Just.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 5:34 pm

My Betty wrote:
Got it. KG4515 Gas-A-Just.

Good deal. Let us all know what you think once they're installed.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Not to thread jack, but is there any difference between the regular B/C body gas a justs and the police/ taxi spec gas-a-justs? They have different part #s- would the police/ taxi ones be even stiffer?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 am

cadillac kevin wrote:
Not to thread jack, but is there any difference between the regular B/C body gas a justs and the police/ taxi spec gas-a-justs? They have different part #s- would the police/ taxi ones be even stiffer?

No clue sir!
Back to top Go down
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 pm

81X11 wrote:
cadillac kevin wrote:

No clue sir!

Called KYB USA this AM, front part number is different for the police/taxi unit. Front #KG5458. Rear is the same, KG5504. I Can't help but think that they would be firmer. Amazon has them for $40 ea. Haven't checked elsewhere.

Vern
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Once you get the shocks then you can save for sway bars.. If you go to the HERD web site there are write ups on the ultimate suspension set up for B-Bodies.. Good Luck..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

got the new Gas-A-Just shocks on. They work great! It's a night and day difference. Thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm

My Betty wrote:
got the new Gas-A-Just shocks on. They work great! It's a night and day difference. Thanks for the advise.

Good deal! cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front shocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front shocks?   Front shocks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front shocks?
Page 1 of 1