GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.

Go down 
+3
Olds Weighty Eight
JoeT
morel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
morel

New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Empty
PostSubject: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Hey folks. Recently picked up this wagon as an impulse buy. Had seen it a few weeks back outside a local tow shop and laughed at the idea of buying it. Then on my way to coffee the next day I stopped by to check it out. There's some rust, a few dings here and there, but for the most part the body is ok. Asking price was $1900, got it for $1200. 104K miles, 5.7L TBI V8, burgundy interior, tow package, vista roof, rear facing third row, most things are power.
Tow shop got it with a bad fuel pump and keys snapped in the ignition. They replaced the keys and fuel pump and it starts up fine every time. AC pump is intermittent, blows coldish eventually, little sound from right side speakers, and the driver seat belt has been removed :screwy: I'm thinking once I pick some tires I'll get some D window wheels with some meaty fitment.

As my other thread mentions, the Oil pump started going bad a few days after ownership (go figure). Picked up another TBI engine on craigslist for $400. GM Goodwrench crate motor that was in a '93 2500. It's a Gen I Vortec according to the block casting #'s, heads are too dirty to make out. Either an L31 or ZZ4, so once that's all cleaned up I'll be figuring out what hodgepodge of parts to put back into the car.

My car history by age of vehicle '73 Mercedes 280C, '77 BMW 320i, '07 BMW M Coupe (gone), '09 Audi A4 (gone), and now this Roadmaster. Love it so far, took 7 friends to dinner last night. Engine swap is a pain but for <$4000 into the car in the end I can't complain.

New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. JqGWTQwl
New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. C2hwtU3l
New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. SPLasQql
New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. ZdqpwqOl
New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Dd0t4Bdl
New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. NPt7Pp4l
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard morel!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Impulse buy! I love that because that's how I came to own my OCC. Just drivin' by in my Grand National back in 2001 and had to have it. My coworkers love to pile in to hit the pizza buffet on Fridays and the two biggest guys get in the way back. Razz

Welcome aboard and have fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
morel

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks folks! Yeah I'm a college student so my friends are already eager for group rides, lucky for them I don't mind.
I guess here would be the best place to ask for light mods/easy fixes to do when the car is down for the swap.
Planning on
brake check up (intermittent ABS light)
T-Type steering wheel
Jeep steering shaft
Some stereo work (put some nice rears in, gotta do fronts and head unit+sub)
Fuel Gauge fix
Rear power window fix
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Congrats on the best impulse buy ever. Smile

Glad you found us. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm

I think you picked up a great first American car to start wrenching on. The first thing you will like is the parts prices. Smile

I would skip the Jeep steering shaft and keep the airbag in the steering wheel.

I would put 6x9 subs in the rear and then seal up the area and try to dampen the mount to get better sound transmission. You don't get much of any treble communicated to the front of the car anyway. If you're transporting people on a regular basis, this is the best subwoofer solution, packaging-wise.

Definitely do the fuel gauge fix. I posted a how-to on the Impala SS forum.

Wait for the rear window sliders to fail before you dive into those doors. No sense doing that work ahead of time.

Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Nice! Welcome. You will be a wogoner for life now.
Back to top Go down
morel

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:12 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
I think you picked up a great first American car to start wrenching on.  The first thing you will like is the parts prices.  Smile

I would skip the Jeep steering shaft and keep the airbag in the steering wheel.  

I would put 6x9 subs in the rear and then seal up the area and try to dampen the mount to get better sound transmission.  You don't get much of any treble communicated to the front of the car anyway.   If you're transporting people on a regular basis, this is the best subwoofer solution, packaging-wise.

Definitely do the fuel gauge fix.  I posted a how-to on the Impala SS forum.

Wait for the rear window sliders to fail before you dive into those doors.  No sense doing that work ahead of time.

You have no idea. I'm used to a minimum of $500 per repair for the cars. The old Benz is the worst of the bunch as the newer cars had warranty and the old BMW is cheapish. Looking at the catalogue for parts on the Roadmaster makes me so happy.

I'm fairly sketched out by airbags of this vintage, and my airbag light is on so i want to ditch it. With or without it it's still the safest car I currently own. And I figure with the engine out the steering shaft would be too easy to not do.

I like the sub idea. There's the lockable cargo and spare wheel well, space for one sub per side. And I saw a company makes door enclosures so I could throw a speaker or two in each rear door down the road.

Got a link for that? I haven't made an account there yet so searching is a pain.

Well the windows down't go up or down so I sort of have to fix that for the sliders to go bad right?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a sub in the driver's side rear compartment. It was simple. Take the panel out. Remove the door. Seperate the bucket part of the storage bin. Trace onto MDF. Cut hole for 10" sub. Carpet it. Screw the MDF to the bucket and install the prewired sub and drop the wires through a small hole you drilled but I forgot to mention. Wink Reattach the storage bin to panel. Wire to amp placed on tire well. Drop panel back in place.

You're in business for a few bucks and a couple hours. Sounds great, too! It's not going to win any SPL contests, but rounds out the system nicely for short short money.

New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Subbox1_zps817faf1f

New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Subbox2_zpseaa7fb7e
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:50 pm

perhaps use a mechanical guage to check oil pressure,,
It'd be aggravating to do a swap and find its just the sensor?
good luck!
Back to top Go down
morel

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Toomanytoyz, that's exactly what I was imagining! Thanks for the pics.

Phantom, yeah there's valve train noise once it warms up and there are metallic flakes in the oil.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am

How to refurbish your sending unit. I did this 6 years ago on two B-bodies and they're still running great and non-optimistic on their fuel levels. Smile

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=235185
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.   New to American cars, new to V8's,  new to wagons. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to American cars, new to V8's, new to wagons.
Page 1 of 1