GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...

Go down 
+7
piranah
brokecello
jayoldschool
94Woody
scoffman
phantom 309
udownwitk
11 posters
AuthorMessage
udownwitk

udownwitk

Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Empty
PostSubject: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 pm

hey guys, i have already bought [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a few weeks back... was taking the old radiator out today and the lower oil cooler line is seized, so it twisted. see the picture below. I was gonna replace the line with a Delco line from amazon for about $27. what is the benefit to deleting the lines altogether??? I live in Georgia... so i either buy the one line and replace or buy the oil filter adapter WITHOUT the lines and remove both. Question is, what do i do with the radiator? do i have to plug it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 pm

repair the line,. use a tubing cutter, and a union,. get someone to flare an end on a new piece of pipe,.use your old nut,.
nick
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 am

The only thing that runs through that part of the radiator is the oil. You could plug it, or leave it open to the elements. If you think you might use it again in the future I would plug it.

Me personally I would repair the line and keep the oil cooler.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Ditch the cooler and leave the radiator holes open. Mine has been this way for years.

If not, I have a good set of slightly used Dorman lines in the garage. 10 bucks plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 pm

It's easy to get that fitting out, and just as easy to hook it back up again if you want to keep the cooler.
Back to top Go down
udownwitk

udownwitk

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm

i knocked this project out easily. i found the replacement AC Delco cooler lines on amaozn for a total of $53. installed them in the new radiator and everything is great...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 am

Good deal! Hey Udownwitk...you should start a build thread in the project section! I know you have a lot of plans (and work already done). Not everyone is on FaceBook here and I know they would love to watch/look at your pics!

I'm still planning on getting down there that first Sun in March.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
piranah

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

is there an adapter for removing the cooler without the lines for the 94-96 wagons?  my cooler lines were cut and its patched together right now. I have heard there is but cant find it, as it seems specific for wagons.
Back to top Go down
vdubluv74

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Does anyone know of an aftermarket oil cooler that will bolt directly to the stock hoses for a 93 wagon?
Back to top Go down
JBLTZ

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Vdubluv74... there isn't anything that will work with the stock hoses like that... but you COULD take the 94-96 caprice cooler lines and run an new external cooler up in front of the radiator instead of going through the stock in-tank coolers. Just a thought.

In-tank coolers are good for all around driving but an external solution is better because if the cooler eventually fails... it won't be sucking radiator fluid into your oil lines and into your engine. I have seen this happen to people on both the trans and the oil in tank coolers. This is the primary reason they went to external coolers on the 94-96 LT1 cars. A bad cooler could ruin an engine or a trans pretty quickly!
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 pm

So for the Lt1 cars if you were to remove the oil cooler, what's the block off piece
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm

If you do decide to remove the oil cooler,you really need to make some modifications on the
alum. oil filter housing/base.You just cant crimp the lines and run.,you will starve the motor for oil! ed
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Well my mechanic said that i would need to replace the cooler to get it the way it should be, since its being bypassed currently. Just wondering what the best option is.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 am

piranah wrote:
Well my mechanic said that i would need to replace the cooler to get it the way it should be, since its being bypassed currently. Just wondering what the best option is.

So you are saying that you are running with the lines crimped and not running oil thru the cooler? ed
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:34 pm

I believe so.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:37 pm

I cant say on the LO5 motor for sure,but the LT1 oil filter housing/base
on the LT1 really needs to be modified if you are going to plug up or
remove the oil cooler lines.There is a bypass system located in the alum.
oil filter housing if the lines or cooler gets clogged,but its just a temp thing,
you really need to remove the housing and modify it. ed
Back to top Go down
84 box wagon

84 box wagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 am

I ran in to an issue with my moms 93 roady wagon oil cooler filter adapter it was leaking from the oil cooler adapter between the block and the adapter it's self it was a small casting flaw.
What I did because she needed to use the car for a trip was use a oil filter adapter from a car that did'nt have an oil cooler this eliminated the oil cooler but also fixed the leak and no worrys about oil starvation.
I just left the original oil cooler lines in place just in case I wanted to put it back to original but I capped the ends of the oil cooler lines with rubber caps so that any residual oil would'nt drip allover the place
you can get the oil filter adapter from summit or jegs I got mine from our local engine rebuilder for 10 bucks
their fairly easy to come buy as there are plenty of small block chevys around
I did this repair two years ago[20,000miles] and she has not had any issues with oil pressure oil starvation or leaks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...   Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Cooler delete info/advice needed...
Page 1 of 1