GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

radio mystery

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 pm

Greetings, so ive got a 93 rmw that kills the battery after a couple days of sitting..if you pull the blower motor fuse then it doesnt kill the battery...strange thing is that the blower motor doesnt run after the car is shut off like so many others...in addition to that, every time i let the car sit overnight, the radio resets to am station static as if the battery was disconnected and it will also reset if you open the tailgate glass, open the glove box or press the rear wiper switch on the dash..strange huh??? computer issue or radio issue? or???
Back to top Go down
foglght

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 8:00 am

Without knowing the car intimately, you need to figure out where the draw is. It may or may not be on the blower motor circuit. Find the wiring diagram and see what is on the circuit that could be causing the draw other than the blower. If nothing else, it will be something in the circuit for the blower wiring or another set of wires that runs with the blower wiring in the same harness and has shorted to power.

Do a parasitic draw test if you can.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 am

It may be a ground fault. If you have a ground fault, the other circuits may be applying voltage to the ground side of the radio memory and causing the differential to be 0 volts, and the radio forgets its memory. You should check the grounds at the A pillar on the driver's side.
Back to top Go down
piranah

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 11:38 am

The previous owner of my car said that the radio was draining the battery, so they pulled the fuse. The OP sounds similar to my issue. Once I'm able to spend 5 minutes outside without frostbite, I was going to dig into my car.
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the info...$2000 good running daily driver...will tear into it when it warms up outside and post the results
Back to top Go down
TheGraniteSS

TheGraniteSS

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 pm

This sounds like what my 91 OCC radio does as well. I also have to make sure my radio and ac are off or the battery will be to low to restart the car.

hey Fred, is the ground locations easily seen/located. Do you have a pic you can post?
thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 pm

The grounds are 10 mm screws below the hood release behind the kick panel. You have to pull the A pillar trim, and pull up the sill to get the kick panel out.

Since I have a pre LT1 car, while I had my sill pulled, I made a piece like the LT1 cars have, and cut a piece off in front of the seat belt mount cover, tapered the end of it to fit under the front of a piece of another sill, so they overlapped by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I tapered the donor piece from the bottom to flow into the original sill cut and taper at the seat belt mount cover. Now when I have to pull the sill, I can take just the front part out, so I do not break the sill. It makes it easier to work on, because you do not have to remove the whole sill all the way to the back of the rear door, and the B pillar. I even got a piece the correct color to make the mod.
Back to top Go down
TheGraniteSS

TheGraniteSS

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks, for the info, I'll check that out.
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi all, just going through some of my old posts from a year ago. I said that I would check into this issue and report back. Well, that didn't happen and this car has now been retired to the parts farm out back. Pm if you need any good 93 rmw parts. Also have a thread in the parts section of my inventory. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

radio mystery Empty
PostSubject: Re: radio mystery   radio mystery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

radio mystery
Page 1 of 1