GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)

Go down 
+8
buickestate
Sprocket
toomanytoyz
phantom 309
IMPALADAKID
lakeffect
jayoldschool
Bewber
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 am

You better not radius them damn wheelwells!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:40 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
You better not radius them damn wheelwells!!!!!!

LMAO - I tried to last night - but the trim from a 9C1 will NOT just snap right on if you make a few little trims here and there. The wagon wheelwell is NOT just a sedan one that got skirted. At the lower rear, they START at the same point, but whereas the sedans start to arch immediately - the wagon ones go straight vertical. If you hold up the 9c1 trim, there's a big opening at the lower rear where the wagon has no material to hook it to.

So, (sigh), I'm off to the boneyard (with my fat ass) to steal some rear quarter panel material to fill in that gap. The tricky part will be doing the cutting and pasting without disrupting any of the wood paneling.

WISH ME LUCK, BILL!!!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:11 am

Wheelweel FAIL!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:35 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Wheelweel FAIL!

nah,. i think radiused wheelweels look awesome,. and i,ve mentioned before,. what would be very trick,. is a set of removeable skirts, so i guy could bolt on some large traction enhancers when needed,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 pm

you keeping the turbine wheels? if not, might you want to sell?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 pm

ChevyChugg wrote:
you keeping the turbine wheels? if not, might you want to sell?

you are one step behind me again Dave....he's not had them in over a week now....

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/wheel-tire-section-f20/i-m-now-without-oz-z-t585-15.htm
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm

I find myself unable to check this thread without a big *smh* first... Wink
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 pm

On the tires - I decided to go a little smaller with the front ones.

On the skirt patch panels that I need to radius the wheelwells - I went to the boneyard today to grab the lower rear quarter panels off the only 94-96 caprice sedan there - and I even got the meth-head that runs the place to agree to only charging me $30 for both sides, but they turned out to be too rusted to use.

Anyway - I'm figuring - how damn hard can it really be to fabricate up and splice in an arched section of curved quarter panel?

Alls I'll need is some metal, something to cut metal with, something to flange metal with, something to stick the pieces back together, some body work stuff, and baddaboom - baddabing - arched wheel wells!

I've got an old late 80's Bonneville trunk lid up in my attic, so it looks like I'm gonna have to borrow some metal from that and try to fab up my own.

WISH ME LUCK!!

toomanytoyz wrote:
Wheelweel FAIL!
Suck it!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I refuse to do any wishing of the Lucky sort.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:33 pm

mebbe use the front wheel well trim to make the radius etc,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:29 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
mebbe use the front wheel well trim to make the radius etc,..

Nick

Ehh...just freestyle it. Do what feels right. This fool did.

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Rear_Wheel_Well_Cut
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Well one thing is for damn sure - I'll be doing the passenger side first!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Ok - before I begin this photomentary, please understand that my wife took all the cameras to Florida, so all I have to use is my crappy camera phone.

Ok - I've been working on the wheels and tires all week - and wrapped things up today for the most part. So far I'm digging them and others seem to like them too.

Here is the journey of my wheels and tires. I tried to document it as best I could in case anybody else would like to follow me down this road - you would know where to start and wouldn't be scared to dive in.

So I started with 4 bare wheels that looked like .....

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Rallye10

Then I soaked them in the rust removal bucket - shown here is the rust from the wheels having been pulled off of the wheels and TO the anode rods.....

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Rallye11

A little primer + a little paint + a little white letter tires + a little quality time with a grinder, and next thing you know, ya got one down. Shown below is a completed whitewall next to an identical tire before they became a matching pair for the rears ....

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Ww_bef11

Then ya just carve your bad self out 3 more whitewalls and boltum on....

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Ww_new10

I really need to get a better close up pic of just a mounted rear, because a 275/60/16 with that fat of a wide white just looks too cool under there.

Anyway - that's my deal. Not a bad stretch of progress for the weekend.

Thanks for the look,
John
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks bud! I preciates it.

After having just the wheels on it for a couple days - I like it enough that I'm really struggling to do much else to it the car besides painting the side mirrors body color.

It sits higher in the front than how I envisioned my completed deal, but I think it works for the personality it's assumed. I took it to school yesterday and one of my buddies - who is a legit car guy - plead with me to LITFA. He loved the wheels - everything - and thought that I'd only be assing it up with scoops or red paint on it, etc. "It's just plain clean how it is man - it's classic. Don't mess with the lines or the colors or you'll wreck the whole thing."

I dunno - maybe this ended up being project Wusswagon. clown

Maybe if I ever get a posi unit and my 373's installed, it'll feel more angry - but for right now - as long as it drives like a wusswagon, I thinks I'm ok to listen to Mr Lennon and "Let It Be".
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Quote :
and thought that I'd only be assing it up with scoops or red paint on it, etc. "It's just plain clean how it is man - it's classic. Don't mess with the lines or the colors or you'll wreck the whole thing."

He's right. It needs some cool red pinstriping on the hood, and you are done.

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Traseira%20Pinstriping_1
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:14 pm

YES, and MAYBE a two lined scallopy deal on the lower body after the front wheels under the wood - and that'd be it.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Damn John, that looks the friggin balls! Very Happy

We need a shot from the back to see those meats! Smile

And yeah, I'm really kinda diggin it as it is, too. Definately needs those pinstripes Jay posted. I'm still wanting to do that to Big Ugly, too.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I can dig it...so your whites are not wobbly? Good call on the palm sander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Still needs all kinds of stickers on the back windows.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Chris I was worried about it a little, but I had the car up to 80 on Monday and it rode the same as ever. No wobble on anything.

What about "car stuff" stickers? That work or does it HAVE to be surfer stuff? Idea
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 pm

What ever kind of stickers your heart desires......
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Good, because I'm about to make myself one that says something to the effect of:

Size DOES matter.
Mine is BIGGER!

Or something like that.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

"My other car is a pedal trike"
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 am

I think the stickers should be repros of vintage travel stickers. Like 50s beach bumper stickers and campsites, etc. This is off the top of my head... I'll see if I can find a pic.

I'll add them as I find them...

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 392333991_0142f01841

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 1468952769_d833e16b87
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am

Hey Weeki Wachee! My great grandfather designed and built everything there at the actual aquarium thing. . Smile Cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 6:42 pm

So?? an update??
with the wide whites it needs some real ugly cream or green, or red, two tone on the roof and pillars only,.
circa '55 ..

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Red - Roof only - MAYBE with white flames - when time allows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)   Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let the angry surfer wagon project begin. Need a lil halp - (also, my centennial post thread)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2