GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ball Mount Rise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Ball Mount Rise Empty
PostSubject: Ball Mount Rise   Ball Mount Rise Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 3:36 pm

My local welding shop built and mounted a beautiful trailer hitch using Buickwagon's superb plans. How much rise do you recommend in the ball mount?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Ball Mount Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Mount Rise   Ball Mount Rise Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Depends on the trailer. My hitch is about 12" off the ground. My trailer is 17". I figure a 3" rise will work.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

Ball Mount Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Mount Rise   Ball Mount Rise Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 pm

I've always used 18 inches to the top of the ball as a starting point, normal vehicle ride height.

For long trips (over 200 miles) I adjust the trailer load, maintaining reasonable tongue weight, and use load equalizer hitch and/ or air bags/air shocks to fine tune/level trailer, vehicle attitude and ride height / trim This can sometimes be an arduous process, but well worth it in wear and tear on my nerves/attitude on the road.

Over the years, I've acquired quite a selection of drop hitches, from 1 to 8 inch offset, remember, a drop is also a lift, if you flip it over...(Just can't pass 'em up at yard sales for a buck or two, lol)

Paul
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Ball Mount Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Mount Rise   Ball Mount Rise Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Buickwagon's hitch is good for a lot of weight but now all that I tow is 2000lbs or so. I could easily have gotten by with a commercial class II hitch but his design is so beautiful and our local welder so good that I couldn't resist.

Thank you all for the replies,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ball Mount Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball Mount Rise   Ball Mount Rise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball Mount Rise
Page 1 of 1