HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4L60E 3-4 clutchpack upgrades FYI

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: 4L60E 3-4 clutchpack upgrades FYI   Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am

Hey everybody,

As most of you probably know, 3-4 clutchpack failure is a common occurrence in these cars. I've paid attention to this problem for literally years and I think it's finally properly understood and licked. In the early days most thought it was the clutchpack itself that was inferior. Thanks to a lot of detective work by the good folks at Sonnax (and probably others) the real culprits have been properly identified as valvebody wear and clutchpack distortion due to the design of the retainer plate.

Now with such great tools as Youtube and the availability of new Sonnax parts, the average DIY car owner can successfully replace the 3-4 clutchpack, upgrade the retainer plate and the valvebody with NO special tools.

A few years ago Sonnax introduced the "Smart Tech Input Housing" for the 4L60E which eliminates clutchpack distortion but it's overkill for anybody whose powertrain is nearly stock. I do know they were testing that in a boosted AWD Trailblazer SS that was consistently running 11s in the 1/4 mile, just to give you a sense of why YOU probably don't need that part, plus you'd need a lot of special tools and seal installers.

A cheaper and easier option is the Heavy Duty 3-4 Clutch Backing Plate Kit . The next 4L60E I'm in, I'd seriously consider installing this in, along with the specified clutchpack.

I'd also recommend installing every Sonnax valvebody upgrade valve available for the 3-4 clutchpack circuit to minimize leaks and keep pressure up in that circuit. Some may require reamers and other expensive tools; you may want to see if a local transmission shop has them and is willing to install those valves for you. Otherwise you can rEbay them when you're done.

Also, if you have snap ring pliers, I'd highly recommend installing the Smart Shell sunshell. It is by far the best designed aftermarket sunshell on the market.

Add that stuff and a 4L60E-HP-01 kit and you'll have yourself a very reliable 4L60E.
Back to top Go down

4L60E 3-4 clutchpack upgrades FYI
Page 1 of 1