GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix

Go down 
+4
BigBlackBeaSSt
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
81X11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 am

I went and got a roll of the chrome StyleGuard 3/8 inch Wheel Molding (part # T3605C) at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Was $14.

Well here's my thoughts. It's better than what I had.

The molding on my bumper was mostly yellowed and the clear had come off the chrome, and was sticking up in many places. Pretty ugly, really took away from the car.

I was able to pry out the ends of each of the three pieces from the metal endcaps, and then pull the old strips off. I then used a razor blade to scrape off the remains of the old mounting tape, and then cleaned the leftover dirt and glue off the bumper where the strips had been.

Mounting the new chrome molding was easy, the molding comes with 3M tape already on it, and I just cut the strips to length. The width is correct and I had no problems getting the ends tucked back under the metal end caps.

Now as to why it's just "better" and a not "great" repair. The issue is anywhere the new strips had to curve or bend to follow the bumper contours, they wrinkled. Not huge wrinkles, but not smooth chrome anymore either.

It does look a lot better though, see pics below:

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix ASanAntMDW015

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix ASanAntMDW017

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix ASanAntMDW018
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: WOW   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am

Damn you sir have been very very busy wagon nut.I think that you have set a all time record for post on this forum.
Every one of your postings have been interesting and even creative but always helpful.
I am glad you joined and every time you work on your beautiful wagon we all benefit greatly so please keep at it.
You have my thanks.
Take Care
Jim "Flasheroo"
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks. Glad to see there are other that like these cars too. You don't see them much here. Glad to share what I've done and hope to learn from ya'll, as my car is still very much a work in progress!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Keep an extra roll of that trim, it won't last long. I have to replace mine about every 6 months or so, but I'm in Georgia and the heat is excruciating.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Hahaha, not much cooler in Central Texas. ; )

Will do!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 pm

I know, I spent 3 years in Fort Hood.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Ahhhh, the hottest place on earth! If it's 90 in Austin and 95 in Belton it'll be 105 at Fort Hood! Never fails!

You are a tough dude!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Try using a heat gun on it next time and see if it will bend without wrinkling as much?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 am

81X11 wrote:
Ahhhh, the hottest place on earth! If it's 90 in Austin and 95 in Belton it'll be 105 at Fort Hood! Never fails!

You are a tough dude!

If we every have a brawl at wagon fest, I am on Roberts side!!!!!

BTW I found some adhesive backed trim that does not seem to fade!!! I put mine on almost a year ago and it looks as good as the day I did it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 am

I put mine on July of last year and it still looks the same today. No fading...yet.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:36 am

Now if only someone can find a solution to the trim on Caprices.

(If you already have - clue me in folks!)
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Wow. I missed this the first time around. Great work, Mike! Mine bugs the crap out of me! Looks like I have another mod to add to the ever growing list!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Look how pretty my grill was...... Sad
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Stingroo wrote:

It was discussed on the ISSF in the wagon section. Remove the mouldings, cut the old chrome strip off, and replace it with a set that 3M makes which many auto parts houses carry.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

It was discussed on the ISSF in the wagon section. Remove the mouldings, cut the old chrome strip off, and replace it with a set that 3M makes which many auto parts houses carry.

Quick google also produced this:

http://www.msitrt.com/protecto_chart.htm

http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/wheelwell.htm
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 4:14 am

Hello All:

For the front bumpber on RMW's, most of the trim I found in retail stores was oval and was either too wide or too narrow. Finally found a near-perfect match online. The originaly chrome trim strip was slanted. I order the 7/16" which is what the factory trim strip was. Simple enough to remove the old yellowing trim off. I did it in 90 degree weather which made it easy. When applying it, if it is not hot out, be sure you warm up the strip so it eaisily follows the bends and curves. The finished look is awesome. The slanted fits effortlessly into the existing stainless retainer clips along the bumper.

http://www.brandsport.com/trmg-301-05.html

[img]Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Photo1[/img]

[img]Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Photo2[/img]

Sorry about the big photos....still learing the whole Photo Bucket thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 am

Big photos great for old eyes!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Tomestonebilly

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 2:39 pm

How do you get the rubber looking so good ? Mine will never look as good,but its the little things that matter.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Tomestonebilly wrote:
How do you get the rubber looking so good ? Mine will never look as good,but its the little things that matter.

Shameless plug:

This works. Aerosol. https://squareup.com/market/superior-finish-auto-reconditioning/black-on-black

This works better/longer, but is messy to apply: https://squareup.com/market/superior-finish-auto-reconditioning/undercarriage-spray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix   Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Upper Bumper Chrome Trim Fix
Page 1 of 1