GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driving in mountains

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Driving in mountains Empty
PostSubject: Driving in mountains   Driving in mountains Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 am

Hey guys,
This summer I'm going on a holiday with my '91 Chevy Caprice wagon, pulling a trailer of 1500 lbs, and we are going to face a lof mountains. Some are pretty high. Any tips or do and don'ts when driving in a mountain area? I do remember something about not to use the lower gears to often or for too long time, bit I cann't find it.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Driving in mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving in mountains   Driving in mountains Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 6:53 am

I would bet the 1,500 lbs trailer will be accompanied by a full load in the car itself, and you have the 305 motor, right? I actually would recommend using 3 instead of 4 when hauling a load uphill at highway speeds. Even 2 on steep hills. It lets the engine rev freer and puts less strain on the transmission. And don't be in a hurry -- get in the slow lane and enjoy the scenery. Wind drag increases significantly at speeds over 50 or 55 mph.
Back to top Go down

Driving in mountains
Page 1 of 1