GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Delphi fuel pump

Go down 
+3
94Woody
Fred Kiehl
booster
7 posters
AuthorMessage
booster

New Delphi fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Lining up the winter stuff to do and decided now that almost everything else in the RMW is new, probably the most likely to leave me by the side of the road is the fuel pump.  It is unknown age but I have had the car 8 years so getting old for sure.

I read all the discussions about the hose failures on what was otherwise a good pump from Delphi and also about the Sprectre being good.  Spectre appears to be sold out everywhere except maybe ebay and that can get a bit scary with all the fake stuff around these days.

The Delphi pumps were also getting scarce so ordered on from Amazon and it just showed up.  Opened the box to check the hose length, etc before ordering one and to my surprise the pump seems to have the good hose on it.  Clamps appear tight and even have what are probably inspection lines on them from an inspection check. Don't see any obvious build date on it, though.

New Delphi fuel pump Delphi10

rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 pm

The clear corrugated hose is not a reliable hose. There are others available that will be more reliable.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 9:23 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The clear corrugated hose is not a reliable hose. There are others available that will be more reliable.

Got a link?

I understand that there are a couple of kinds of this type of hose, in particular that there is the, actually more common at local stores I think, ones that are the "vapor rated" versions that are for the vapor recovery applications.  There are also the "fuel" pressure rated versions that are specified for in tank pump applications.  I had looked around for hoses before I got the pump and saw both versions in the milky color like on this pump and in black on websites.  

This hose is not marked with rating or type so it is unknown for sure which it is, but it does seem relatively thick and solid.  Another poster had mentioned the hose on the Spectre pumps was pretty fragile and required a lot of care installing, and I wouldn't describe this one as being that fragile, but without seeing side by side it is impossible to judge for certain.

Here is a link to a place that shows fuel and pressure rated versions in milky and black.

Hose link

Here is a hose recommended by another member

Hose black from Goodies

Same style hose from same vendor in white and different length

Hose milky from Goodies
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 10:47 am

Is it a TBI or LT1 fuel sender?

That hose will work just fine. It is the same hose I put on my Delphi sender over 2 years ago. Any fuel submersible rated corrugated hose will work just fine. They won’t get mushy and they won’t blow out. Only possible issue is if the hose is too stiff because it could crack when placing the assembly into the fuel tank.

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

1996 RMW LT1.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 11:04 am

from my experience the ones you really have to watch out for with the LT1 cars are the ones with the black rubber line as they will either just split open or they gradually disintegrate as they are either not rated for the pressure required, or are not fuel rated.

sherlock9c1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 2:39 pm

booster wrote:
1996 RMW LT1.

Nice. I’m happy to see they fixed the issue. It will be just fine, drop it in the tank.

sherlock9c1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Do you have the link to the Delphi pump you ordered on Amazon? My pump starting going out today. I'm getting 20 psi at idle . Also is this for a 94-96 LT1? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dandy

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 1:00 pm

Fuel tanks have to be dropped to replace the pump, correct? I am dropping my rear end for rebuild/gear upgrade/LSD install. If so, this might be the best time to replace the pump?
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 pm

Capala wrote:
Do you have the link to the Delphi pump you  ordered on Amazon? My pump starting going out today. I'm getting 20 psi at idle . Also is this for a 94-96 LT1? Thanks!

Sorry I am late on this, missed your post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FI23D8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks I ordered the Delphi unit from Amazon and installed it Sunday. I went for a test drive about 5 miles and car was running great again. Drove 15 miles to work on Monday and everything was good. On the way home I felt the car stutter then died. Car would crank but not start. I looked under the hood at the fuel pressure guage that is attached to the rail and it was less than 10psi. Had the car towed to a local shop. They diagnosed and dropped the tank. Fuel pump is dead. I am going with a new AC Delco pump and sending unit. I'm not really happy that I spent my Sunday replacing the pump especially with a full tank of gas.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 10:42 pm

Capala wrote:
Thanks I ordered the Delphi unit from Amazon and installed it Sunday. I went for a test drive about 5 miles and car was running great again. Drove 15 miles to work on Monday and everything was good. On the way home I felt the car stutter then died. Car would crank but not start. I looked under the hood at the fuel pressure guage that is attached to the rail and it was less than 10psi. Had the car towed to a local shop. They diagnosed and dropped the tank. Fuel pump is dead. I am going with a new AC Delco pump and sending unit. I'm not really happy that I spent my Sunday replacing the pump especially with a full tank of gas.

That is a huge bummer. I haven't put this one in yet so hope I get luckier than you did. Can't blame you for trying something else.

I just looked up the AC Delco pumps and they don't really make much sense. Both the OE labeled pump and Professional are under $100 with the Pro cheaper than the OEM. That price is in line with the other Chinese brands of many names so very odd.

Anybody know anything about that situation?

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/acesCat.php?#

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-s-sender-19422390

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-fuel-pump-25163464

I have heard of and seen some AC Delco and dealer sold GM parts that are really the aftermarket versions. I think the Opti is one and maybe water pumps, so maybe that is what is going on here also.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 pm

The OCC pump is made by Delphi. Almost everything under $200 is made in China now. Even Walbro pumps are made in China.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The OCC pump is made by Delphi. Almost everything under $200 is made in China now. Even Walbro pumps are made in China.

The Delphi pump I got also came from China so may be the same as all the rest, or counterfit? Could explain the hose change on it. I checked the box carefully and couldn't find any noticeable non real looking things on it, nor could I on the pump, but who knows. Lots of decent reviews on Amazon though.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 9:15 pm

The rubber hose split open in the Delphi pump. A couple of other wagon owners had the hose split open shortly after installing. He recommended swapping the hose to a Gates 27096 submersible fuel line hose. He didn't have any issues after that.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 6:35 pm

I figured I would bring this back up since I pulled the tank out today. Not really as hard as I expected with the only issue a very stubborn fuel line QD.

Once I got the tank on the floor it got obvious that the pump I showed in the pix is not the correct one. Cable is only half as long as it needs to be and fuel tubes probably 6-8" too short, bent different.

I want back and checked the Delphi site and the p/n on the box is what it should be, and funny but they show a pic of the wrong pump in the listing for the wagon pump. I pulled up pix for the sedan pump and that is what this appears to be. I have no idea if it is even a Delphi as it i has no markings on it anywhere. Been way too long to return so pretty much screwed there. Anybody need a pump, cheap? It may be the pump itself is the same for sedan and wagon, but I don't know that at this point, so I could pull the pump out if compatible and carry it for a spare on the road.

It turns out Rock Auto had highly rated Sprectra pumps on closeout, so I have one of them coming this coming week. At least the pic they show looks right.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 pm

booster wrote:
It turns out Rock Auto had highly rated Sprectra pumps on closeout, so I have one of them coming this coming week.  At least the pic they show looks right.
Went to look at the RA site but they seem gone. Did you get the Spectra Premium SP128B1H ?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spectra-premium-fuel-pump-and-sender-assembly-sp128b1h/10006312-P
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:11 pm

I am showing SP127B1H for the wagon on RA
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 7:13 pm

booster wrote:
I figured I would bring this back up since I pulled the tank out today.  Not really as hard as I expected with the only issue a very stubborn fuel line QD.

Once I got the tank on the floor it got obvious that the pump I showed in the pix is not the correct one.  Cable is only half as long as it needs to be and fuel tubes probably 6-8" too short, bent different.

I want back and checked the Delphi site and the p/n on the box is what it should be, and funny but they show a pic of the wrong pump in the listing for the wagon pump.   I pulled up pix for the sedan pump and that is what this appears to be.  I have no idea if it is even a Delphi as it i has no markings on it anywhere.  Been way too long to return so pretty much screwed there.  Anybody need a pump, cheap?  It may be the pump itself is the same for sedan and wagon, but I don't know that at this point, so I could pull the pump out if compatible and carry it for a spare on the road.

It turns out Rock Auto had highly rated Sprectra pumps on closeout, so I have one of them coming this coming week.  At least the pic they show looks right.

Pumps are the same for the 91-93 and 94-96.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 pm

booster wrote:
I am showing SP127B1H for the wagon on RA

Indeed. This said, on several vendor sites, I see SP127B1H and SP128B1H listed as alternative choices for the LT1 B-bodies (Buicks and Chevys -- Fleetwood seem to be different, wonder why?).
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 10:06 pm

If you look at the 128, it appears to be the one for the sedans, as it says on the link you posted. It looks just like the one I have that is wrong in the pix. The 127 that RA shows for the wagon looks like what is in the car.

On RA you can get a feel for the numbers from the economy versions of the pumps by another company. The two they have are from the same company, one listed for wagon and one for sedan, and they carry a 127 and 128 in their P/N in the same order.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 2:52 pm

I have the tank and pump out but still waiting for the new pump.  What is kind of weird is that I found a label around the vent line metal tube on the pump.  It might have originally been on the hose as it wasn't stuck on anymore.

New Delphi fuel pump Img_0010

I wonder if this could be related to the Delphi pump coming wrong even though PN was right on order and on box.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 1:57 pm

booster wrote:
If you look at the 128, it appears to be the one for the sedans, as it says on the link you posted.  It looks just like the one I have that is wrong in the pix.  The 127 that RA shows for the wagon looks like what is in the car.

On RA you can get a feel for the numbers from the economy versions of the pumps by another company.  The two they have are from the same company, one listed for wagon and one for sedan, and they carry a 127 and 128 in their P/N in the same order.

Indeed, the Spectra Premium website says so -- 127 for wagon, 128 for sedan:

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/parts-results-for-vehicle?year=1996&make=Buick&model=Roadmaster&submodel=Estate+Wagon+Collector%27s+Edition%7EV8%7E5.7&language=en

The Wrench Monkey (a Canadian company that has a US presence) seems to have both available:

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.com/auto-parts/buick/roadmaster/1996/air-and-fuel-delivery/fuel-pump-and-sender-assembly/

It may be worth a shot to call them up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Delphi fuel pump   New Delphi fuel pump Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Delphi fuel pump
Page 1 of 1