GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Empty
PostSubject: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 8:56 pm

I was told the heat riser thing was just for emissions and you'll get better air inlet by taking it all off? I even cut off the big round ball on my intake. Whats that all about?

Anyone do this too, or I should buy a new one?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I pulled the nut sack off on my L03 92 Caprice with no ill effects as all of a sudden it wouldn't fit back in there. I had no change in fuel consumption.

There is a sensor in the airbox on top of the TBI. Not sure how the car will run with that open...
guess there is one way to find out Smile
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Sprocket wrote:

There is a sensor in the airbox on top of the TBI. Not sure how the car will run with that open...
guess there is one way to find out Smile

I did it, but it throws a CEL for a vacuum leak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, without the sensor plugged in the CEL will go off.

My car hasn't ever had the nut sack baffle, so no worries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Feeling better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

It's all good. Smile
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 11:46 pm

Mine ran just fine without any of the factory intake crap on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm

^ I want to do that, 94woody. That is a tbi?

How did you get the nut in the middle?

The hose that gos in the back of the air cleaner to valve cover. you put a breather in?.

Air cleaner plug senser gos where now.?

If I could to this then I can put a trans am shaker on maybe. GM taste dream. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:48 pm

The TBI has the space for the bent stud and nut Most of the chrome air cleaners come with them, or you can get one from a TBI (4.5, 4.9) Caddy that will fit just fine.

Should just be a breather where that hose once was, and I'm not sure about the air intake sensor. That I'd be interested in finding out too.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 10:16 pm

There is a breather on the pass valve cover and the breather on the driver side has the PCV valve inside of it. The stud came with those oil soaked chrome valve covers. The sensor is mounted into the base of the breather.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The base comes with a pre-stamped area that pops out to install a breather (the little one you find on old carb engines) filter. I popped out the stamping and inserted the rubber mount for the sensor. If I still had the car I would grab a pic to show what I did.

It wasn't the best way to set this up but it worked just fine on my gutless 170,000 mile, oil burning 305, lol.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?   Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air cleaner got run over. do I Need the heat rising hose for tbi?
Page 1 of 1