GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing rear outside door handles...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Oscar73

Removing rear outside door handles... Empty
PostSubject: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 3:37 am

Repainting the Murder Wagon, and need to remove the rear door handles to do a proper job...there seems to be no access to the rear nut (of 2) that hold the handle on. I cruised through some old posts and saw that Fred Keihl mentioned removing the window glass.

Is that the best process? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 am

That is what I had to do to get to them. I do not know any other way to get to the nuts, and linkage. To remove the glass, you must remove the triangle at the rear of the glass. It has a small nylon fastener with a TORX head nylon locking screw behind the run channel at the top point of the triangle. There should be 2 bolts that hold the triangle to the body of the door. The locking screw will not want to come out, and you may have to force the fastener out if it does not release it. The fasteners are available, but I do not remember where. I was fortunate, after I damaged one of them, and while changing the carpet, found a new one under the carpet. Now, if only that type of good fortune would happen with expensive parts.

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 9:53 am

On my 96 RMW, I just windowed out a small section of the inside door sheet metal big enough to sneak through with a 1/4" drive socket on an extension. Worked fine and now on/off is easy.

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Looks like I'll be dusting off the step drill bit...
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Oscar73 wrote:
Looks like I'll be dusting off the step drill bit...

The step drill may work OK, but you will probably be around some corners and such so might not. I used an air powered die grinder with a carbide bullnose bit probably 3/8" diameter and it worked well.

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 6:58 pm

I have carbide grinding bits, too...lol
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2022 7:04 pm

Oscar73 wrote:
I have carbide grinding bits, too...lol

For some reason I thought you might

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing rear outside door handles...   Removing rear outside door handles... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing rear outside door handles...
Page 1 of 1