GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear glass...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 3:57 pm

Hey folks!
Will the rear glass on a '93 RMW fit a '96 RMW? Has anyone done an install themselves? Thanks for the help! Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm

jeebs57 wrote:
Hey folks!
Will the rear glass on a '93 RMW fit a '96 RMW? Has anyone done an install themselves? Thanks for the help! Jeff

yes, all the glass is the same on 91-96 wagons across the board.

Are you talking the rear hatch glass or rear side glass (still the same). Hatch glass is easy, side glass is alot more involved as the whole side piece (with chrome surround) has to comeout and they used some really good glue on it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 7:49 am

I have experience replacing all glass. Which one do you need instructions for?

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 9:07 am

Thanks so much for the info! We had some high winds here yesterday and a tree limb fell and shattered the rear hatch glass on my '96...I have a '93 with good glass and wanted to make the swap..Thanks again Sprocket and Fred!

Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 9:09 am

Hey Fred...so I need to remove the glass from my '93 and replace rear hatch glass on my '96...Thanks for your help! Take Care...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 2:40 pm

The hatch glass is intuitive. Remove the struts, two hinge bolts and it is off. Have a friend help hold it to install in reverse order. If you are swapping the CHSL, be cautious with the screws, because they have a double trace, and if you get the threads in the wrong way, you will strip them out. You should be able to turn them almost all the way in with your fingers, and just tighten them with a wrench.
I have done it by myself, but it is a lot easier with help. You may have to align the latch to get it to work properly.

Serendipity96 and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 2:40 pm

The hatch glass is intuitive. Remove the struts, two hinge bolts and it is off. Have a friend help hold it to install in reverse order. If you are swapping the CHSL, be cautious with the screws, because they have a double trace, and if you get the threads in the wrong way, you will strip them out. You should be able to turn them almost all the way in with your fingers, and just tighten them with a wrench.
I have done it by myself, but it is a lot easier with help. You may have to align the latch to get it to work properly.
Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 pm

Thanks Fred...Ok...question from a real newbie...what is the CHSL you refer to? Is that the heat for the glass?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 3:42 pm

Center high stop light
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 pm

If you strip the CHMSL screws out of the plastic, you can save the handle by threading in some 1/4-20 allen drive set screws with trim adhesive, and then use nuts after dry. Stainless hardware will last forever.
Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 am

Thanks to all for the info! I am most appreciative...Take Care, Jeff
Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 11:24 am

Ok guys...SORRY for all the questions...BUT...how do I remove the struts? I see a metal band wrapped around each end of the strut that can be pried loose but what is next? I don't want to mess up anything with this glass removal...so I'd rather just ask the question. Thanks again for your help!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 12:33 pm

Pry the metal band up equally on both sides, and the strut will slip off of the ball stud. You only have to disconnect the one on the glass side. Disconnect the heater wire before removing the band.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
jeebs57

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Thanks Fred...I had pried the band....BUT...only on one side. When done as you instructed...no problem...slipped right off! I'm not afraid to ask questions..my son is the "mechanically inclined"...I have to research and ask! Thanks again...
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2022 6:49 pm

what Fred said... I've removed hatch glass by myself a few times and it's doable, but I definitely recommend a helper with steadying the rear glass - it will make things soooo much easier and less likely to have an oh S#iT moment.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

Rear glass... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear glass...   Rear glass... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear glass...
Page 1 of 1