GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ckamin

Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!   Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm

Happy Sunday! As the new owner of a '96 Roadmaster, one of the things I'll be doing is changing all the fluids (low mileage car but no service history known).

I have a few questions about bleeding the brakes... How accessible are the bleeders? Is it easiest to put the front of the car on jack stands, remove the front wheels, and turn the wheels to most easily access the front brake bleeders? What about the back- jack stands on the frame to let the rear end sag or on the rear end axle tubes? Does it matter?

Any advise to help out would be greatly appreciated. Also, since the car has ABS, is this gonna put the process out of my league? I've bled plenty of brakes on vehicles without ABS but don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks!

Carl
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!   Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 2:02 pm

as long as you don't let air get into the system, or have some in it already, ABS shouldn't be an issue, but from my experience even with my trucks it is generally easier to just jack up and remove the tires, for the rear it would probably be best to jack on the differential and support that, as these cars do have alot of suspension travel, and if you position the jack right you can lift both front or both rear tires at the same time. Front, right in the middle of the cross member behind the support rods, as then they hold the head of the jack and keep it from slipping too much, on the rear, right under the middle of the pumpkin.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!   Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 2:19 pm

Thank you! On the front of the vehicle, where is the best place to place the jack stands themselves? Under the frame rails behind the front wheels after raising the vehicle with a hydraulic jack? I trust hydraulic jacks to raise the vehicle but not enough to be under the vehicle and risk getting killed should the jack fail... I know, I'm no fun...
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!   Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 3:21 pm

ckamin wrote:
Thank you! On the front of the vehicle, where is the best place to place the jack stands themselves? Under the frame rails behind the front wheels after raising the vehicle with a hydraulic jack? I trust hydraulic jacks to raise the vehicle but not enough to be under the vehicle and risk getting killed should the jack fail... I know, I'm no fun...

I usually put the stands just behind the front wheels at the curve in the frame.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!   Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake bleeding/flushing tips- advice!!
Page 1 of 1