GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unintended deer visit

Go down 
+2
AMH_92
GENDAVIS
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GENDAVIS

GENDAVIS

Unintended deer visit Empty
PostSubject: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 8:17 pm

On the way to work one morning,  it was dark and raining and a deer decided to collide with the drivers side causing a decent amount of damage.  The drivers side window shattered,  the mirror broke off,  and the quarter panel and driver and passenger door got all dented up.  Depending on price,  I'd like to get the car back to the almost mint condition it was in.  Would a body shop be able to suction cup the dents out,  or will it take major surgery to get right?  If anyone has dealt with any body work been done or suggestions based on experience I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

DavidUnintended deer visit 20231111
Unintended deer visit 20231110
Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 9:13 pm

I'd guess a new front fender and new skins for the doors or new doors?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 pm

Unintended deer visit 20180410
Unintended deer visit 20180412
Unintended deer visit 20180411
I had a dump truck rub up my car, like it wanted to have sex with it, and sure enough my car got screwed. I bought a quarter panel, front and rear door, front fender, trim, and all of the small parts.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2023 12:26 am

Unintended deer visit 20180413
Your quarter panel can be fixed by a PDR guy, but you need to get the doors and fender. Get Caprice parts because the other models have model specific holes in them. I believe the 91-92, and 93-94 front doors are slightly different. The doors and fender are bolt-ons. Rear door is Caprice only. The only place I know of, where you can get the parts is a junkyard.
I have a 93-94 front door in Florida. Large parts are really expensive to ship. Cheapest shipping is by Fastenal depot to depot. I was fortunate to have access to a junkyard with a wagon in it for parts. If you can find a PNP yard with a wagon, it should cost about $200 for the parts. You can use the other models if you can weld the holes shut, or have someone weld them shut. Caution when welding is imperative, so the panels do not warp.

Serendipity96 and auburn.fangler@gmail.com like this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 8:41 pm

you're going to be finding bits of door glass all over the interior for years to come - some a-hole bashed my driver window out due to a malfunctioning horn and when i parted it out a few years later, i still found little square shards of glass after removing the seats. and yeah, a suction cup isn't going to get those dents out.

that newer stud welding tool however can take quite a few dents out and there are even 'do it yourself' kits available if you want to learn a new skill, but as Fred mentioned, if you can find donor panels, that might be best.

On the bright side, you don't have to pay for the deer's medical bills.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 9:57 pm

I have rear door for sale but I'm in pa
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 11:31 am

You could push the dents from the inside of the doors. That will not make them perfect but it will reduce the amount of work to get them looking good. There is some science to doing it correctly, there are some videos out there showing how to do it, but I would leave it to the pros if you are unsure about it. same with the fender, but you would have to remove it most likely.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Buickman1 wrote:
You could push the dents from the inside of the doors. That will not make them perfect but it will reduce the amount of work to get them looking good. There is some science to doing it correctly, there are some videos out there showing how to do it, but I would leave it to the pros if you are unsure about it. same with the fender, but you would have to remove it most likely.

The PDR guys need the panels attached to the car so they can get a fulcrum to push on the dent. The cost of fixing the damage by a PDR guy would be more than getting a used part. Due to the extent of damage, a PDR guy would probably change about $500-600, if it can be done at all. The fender and front door can come from a wagon, or sedan. The rear door is wagon specific. Total cost should be under $200 at a PNP yard. The cost includes the glass. I paid about $350 for the entire side of the red wagon in the above pictures at a PNP yard.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unintended deer visit   Unintended deer visit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unintended deer visit
Page 1 of 1