GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oh deer!...white tail that is!

Go down 
+10
jimbeau
81X11
toomanytoyz
95BRMW
Sprocket
Lynol
phantom 309
buickestate
JoeT
a1awind
14 posters
AuthorMessage
a1awind

a1awind

oh deer!...white tail that is! Empty
PostSubject: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 pm

so i was on my way to work this morning. and had to take a detour because they are taking out a dam that i drive past on my way to work. the detour takes me through some wooded areas and i was using caution to look for deer. well at 30mph one materialized in front of me....right in front of me!!!
i sent the deer end over end down the road. well i got out and the front end looked like this....

oh deer!...white tail that is! Capricepostdeer

well when i got home, i made a few phone calls and found a slightly dented police car hood for $50 inc hood ornament. ...ill have pictures tomorrow, but to say the least...thanks to my best friend scoob8000 (mike) who gave up his evening to come up and help me get her back together and kevin ferry who is sending me a grill.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

I firmly believe that deer are the dumbest animals in God's creation....

Glad you're OK; that could have been a LOT worse.

I hit one about 3 years ago on a then-new G6 lease car. Her head hit the A pillar; we were pretty much eyeball-to-eyeball when we made contact. She slammed against the front and rear doors, sheared the rear view mirror off the car and managed to kick a crease into the rear quarter and the rear hubcap. Damage was over $4500.

I had to crawl out over the console because the driver's side doors were so badly smashed, the latches wouldn't release.

And with all of that damage, the deer laid on the ground twitching for a few seconds, then got to it's feet, walked off into the adjacent field where it stood with its head down for about a minute. Then she lifter her head and bounded off into the woods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Never hit one (knock on wood). See them all over but never hit one. ALWAYS looking.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm

I've hit about five through the years.....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh deer,..
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Ouch! Glad your OK and the car isn't too bad. Did you find a DGGM hood, or are you going to have to get it painted?
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 am

ill probably crovo the car in the spring
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:07 am

Ouch, sorrry to see that Ian. Good thing it wasn't tiki you were driving.

A co-worker hit a buck in the butt and it did a 180 and the antlers pierced the drivers door and his leg. that was in North GA about 20 years ago....
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 am

Good thing your ok. On the bright side, your LTZ hood ornament is still there cheers
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 am

Damn dude. That sucks. Sad At least it wasn't the tiki wagon!

Looks like a nice easy fix though. So you do have that going for you. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 am

Oh no!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am

I'm sure Dave (95BRMW) would sell you the DGGM hood off the Rustmaster, it's got some minor hail damage but the paint is nice and I'm sure he'd sell it for cheap...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 am

Man that does suck! Glad you're ok and thankfully it looks like a pretty easy fix.

I took out a deer in New Jersey with a 1983 Isuzu I-Mark when I was 17. Totalled the car. God Bless that deer.....
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

81X11 wrote:
Man that does suck! Glad you're ok and thankfully it looks like a pretty easy fix.

I took out a deer in New Jersey with a 1983 Isuzu I-Mark when I was 17. Totalled the car. God Bless that deer.....
Haha that thing was the Chevette's brother-from-another-mother. I've never actually seen one.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 am

I hear the car is fixed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

Deer strikes are a almost daily occurence around here.Over the years,4 people have lost their
lives because of deer accidents.Glad you are OK and the damage was minimum!
DAMN DEER!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 am

Lynol wrote:
81X11 wrote:

Haha that thing was the Chevette's brother-from-another-mother. I've never actually seen one.

Yep, it was the same car sold as the Buick/Opel in the 70's. To make it an Isuzu they added a modern dash and updated the front end sheetmetal...that was about all. I bought it from my high school science teacher for $300...which was how much the Saturn dealer offered her for it on a trade in for her new 90 Saturn sedan. When I bought it, the right rear 1/4 window was smashed out and she had cardboard over it. I figured I'd never find a replacement...this was before Ebay and the internet... Amazingly I went to GI's Auto Salvage on Rt 46 and they had a Buick-Opel out there with the window I needed...first place I went, ha! The car also also had a slow coolant leak, I'm guessing at the heater core. I never actually found the leak, and the car never ran hot, but I sure smelled it. Hot coolant can have a sweet smell, and that car always smelled like maple syurp inside...my friends called it The Flapjack....

It was a tiny car, oddly the shifter stuck out of the lower dashboard, and it was rear-drive. It was terribly unbalanced, all the weight was in the front. My friend Ben borrowed the car and spun it on a wet road, ended up facing traffic head-on, and he refused to even ride in it after that. It was a handlful on wet roads, and forget using it in the snow. I only bought it because it was a car and was cheap...I still do dumb stuff like that... The gas cap was hidden under a vent right behind the rear 1/4 window, way up high, and the tank itself mounted behind the rear seatback, between the trunk and the seat. If you rode in the rear seat you could hear the gas sloshing directly behind your back. Scary!

I of course waxed and detailed it...no good reason other than I can't stand a dirty car, even then. The paint shined and the interior glowed, but that car was SO embarresing to drive. It was DOG SLOW, but there is something fun about a car you can drive foot-to-the-floor all the time. We had great fun driving out through the Great Swamp and running it across the wet parking lot in there and yanking the parking brake while cutting the wheel. That car would spin like a top, four goofy teenagers inside laughing like mad. It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves!

Mine looked just like this, but was solid grey in color. I got my '79 Bonneville Brougham after the deer killed this car, and man it was like heaven compared to The Flapjack. Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

oh deer!...white tail that is! IMG_0015

oh deer!...white tail that is! Isuzuimark

Last edited by 81X11 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am

I actually used to see the Opels in California. That's funny about the coolant smell, when I blew a heater hose on the Rustmaster the other day before I knew anything was wrong, I sniffed the air and thought "mmmmmm..... pancakes!" then there was steam everywhere...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Did you feel something...... Shocked

oh deer!...white tail that is! Buck-1024x682
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 5:13 pm

come up to canada,

oh deer!...white tail that is! Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU9w5iAlDNLHxoMZ1lfR3tM6Hd96H7Dux6Stm0pxZWSlK9H07n

more exciting than deer,.

fun way to get a new pet,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Where's that pic of the bimmer or some other krautmobile where the deer went in through the grille and ended up jammed up against the firewall.
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:30 pm

81X11 wrote:
Did you feel something...... Shocked

oh deer!...white tail that is! Buck-1024x682

so wild Buick Lesabre's are carnivores
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 pm

beforeoh deer!...white tail that is! Capricepostdeer

after oh deer!...white tail that is! 2012-03-07073807

courtesy of Mike and Ians "midnight autobody"
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm

That was FAST! Looks tons better!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Why did you ditch your clear corners?

Did they suffer in the incident? Sad
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Why did you ditch your clear corners?

Did they suffer in the incident? Sad
yea..still have them though
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm

thank goodness it wasn't an lt1 car,.

nick
Back to top Go down
TylerW

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Lynol wrote:
81X11 wrote:

Thanks to me and my Youtube channel you can RIDE in one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2EOAmMgCI&feature=channel_video_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh8uPNNRQoM&feature=relmfu
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Where's that pic of the bimmer or some other krautmobile where the deer went in through the grille and ended up jammed up against the firewall.
oh deer!...white tail that is! 2Q==
Back to top Go down
TylerW

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 pm

81X11 wrote:
Lynol wrote:
81X11 wrote:

Yep, it was the same car sold as the Buick/Opel in the 70's. To make it an Isuzu they added a modern dash and updated the front end sheetmetal...that was about all. I bought it from my high school science teacher for $300...which was how much the Saturn dealer offered her for it on a trade in for her new 90 Saturn sedan. When I bought it, the right rear 1/4 window was smashed out and she had cardboard over it. I figured I'd never find a replacement...this was before Ebay and the internet... Amazingly I went to GI's Auto Salvage on Rt 46 and they had a Buick-Opel out there with the window I needed...first place I went, ha! The car also also had a slow coolant leak, I'm guessing at the heater core. I never actually found the leak, and the car never ran hot, but I sure smelled it. Hot coolant can have a sweet smell, and that car always smelled like maple syurp inside...my friends called it The Flapjack....

It was a tiny car, oddly the shifter stuck out of the lower dashboard, and it was rear-drive. It was terribly unbalanced, all the weight was in the front. My friend Ben borrowed the car and spun it on a wet road, ended up facing traffic head-on, and he refused to even ride in it after that. It was a handlful on wet roads, and forget using it in the snow. I only bought it because it was a car and was cheap...I still do dumb stuff like that... The gas cap was hidden under a vent right behind the rear 1/4 window, way up high, and the tank itself mounted behind the rear seatback, between the trunk and the seat. If you rode in the rear seat you could hear the gas sloshing directly behind your back. Scary!

I of course waxed and detailed it...no good reason other than I can't stand a dirty car, even then. The paint shined and the interior glowed, but that car was SO embarresing to drive. It was DOG SLOW, but there is something fun about a car you can drive foot-to-the-floor all the time. We had great fun driving out through the Great Swamp and running it across the wet parking lot in there and yanking the parking brake while cutting the wheel. That car would spin like a top, four goofy teenagers inside laughing like mad. It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves!

Mine looked just like this, but was solid grey in color. I got my '79 Bonneville Brougham after the deer killed this car, and man it was like heaven compared to The Flapjack. Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

oh deer!...white tail that is! IMG_0015

oh deer!...white tail that is! Isuzuimark

I had one of those too...a '76

Very rare car now. The Opel-Isuzu's sold here through 1980 were all gas-burners. They brought the same car back with the same interior but revised front and rear as the 1981 Isuzu I-Mark, along with a diesel option.

They remained the same through 1984 except that the '82 and later got a much more modern and uglier dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPIPeIA3qc&feature=channel_video_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqhzf6Wqks&feature=related
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Ian,

Sorry to see your miss hap. Looks like you made short work of the repair. Glad you are OK and your family was not with you. Good that it was the winter beater!!!.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm glad your alright, and your car made it through with out too much damage.

Mike helped me put a Blue hood on my car at WF '09.

When I was working at a car dealership a few years ago I had to pull out a few nasty critters from the front end of cars and trucks. The worst was a skunk that got hit and then was warped up in the serpentine belt of a mid '90s Cutlass convertible. That was nasty.

Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm

200OZ wrote:

When I was working at a car dealership a few years ago I had to pull out a few nasty critters from the front end of cars and trucks. The worst was a skunk that got hit and then was warped up in the serpentine belt of a mid '90s Cutlass convertible. That was nasty.

Mike

I always wondered what happened to pepe,..
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:24 am

a1awind wrote:
... Mike and Ians "midnight autobody"
lol

What's the hole in the grill for? The Fusion Accelerator connector?
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:10 am

jimbeau wrote:
a1awind wrote:
... Mike and Ians "midnight autobody"
lol

What's the hole in the grill for? The Fusion Accelerator connector?

who knows, the car it came off of was a new castle police car. it has light mounting brackets behind the grill too.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 am

[/quote]

I had one of those too...a '76

Very rare car now. The Opel-Isuzu's sold here through 1980 were all gas-burners. They brought the same car back with the same interior but revised front and rear as the 1981 Isuzu I-Mark, along with a diesel option.

They remained the same through 1984 except that the '82 and later got a much more modern and uglier dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVPIPeIA3qc&feature=channel_video_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqhzf6Wqks&feature=related[/quote]

Funny stuff! My dash, front end and tail lights were different, but it's the same car. Looked at a few of his videos, and he has a diesel '83 with my interior in it. The starter on the '76 sounds JUST like my old car. Had not heard that sound since 1991...hahaha.
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Ouch! That sucks!

On the other hand, if you want some help offsetting the cost of the new hood, you could always sell me the old LTZ badge Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oh deer!...white tail that is!   oh deer!...white tail that is! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oh deer!...white tail that is!
Page 1 of 1