GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oil cooler delete

Go down 
+3
94Woody
silverfox103
bcreasy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bcreasy

bcreasy

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Mine cooler lines are leaking so help the newbie out. I know I need a new filter adapter any one have a spare? Once I swap out the adapter what do I do about the lines that go into the radiator? Should I swap out radiators?

Thanks Beau
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Beau

I have eliminated the coolers on two wagon, soon to be three. After you have swapped the coolers, just remove the lines and that's it. Your radiator is fine.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks Tom

Any one have a spare adapter for sale? I have no pap local Sad
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 am

I have an extra one of them, $20 shipped. PM if interested.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 am

I just did this mod yesterday. Much happier already.....
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am

Sprocket wrote:

What did you do to the lines running into the radiator? Pics?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 am

bcreasy wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

What did you do to the lines running into the radiator? Pics?

Remove them, they serve no purpose.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 am

Anyone else have an adapter for sale? My RMW is leaking from the adapter, the lines, and now the rad has a leak. Perfect time to rip that stuff out and put a 9C1 radiator in there, those don't have the oil cooler.
Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Hey Tom really like the wheels and grill on the Caprice.Makes it jump out at you!
But whitewalls ? Come On Buddy whatever rocks your boat!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey Flash

You're observant as I just changed that picture yesterday. It is real similar to the old picture. I know a lot of guys either like or dislike the white walls. They'll probably stay for a while, sorry.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Did you change the wheels on the RMW?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Both cars have Florida N97 wheels I got from Sprocket. Painted silver, chrome rings, N97 center caps with either Buick or Chevy two flags decals in the centers. Oh, and white walls to finish them off.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Back on topic (although the N97s look great in silver) I removed the lines completely.

Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Sorry John Didnt mean to do that to you.Its just that when I see a change I cant help but to
zero in on it.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Going the other way--- adding oil cooler!   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 am

Some interesting comments about removing coolers, but I plan to go the other way!
As a former 9C1 owner, I think the coolers are very beneficial to the longevity of the
power train.
So, I was going to add the 9c1 police car coolers to my wagon ----- until I discovered a weird factory
modification!
My wagon was built without the additional external coolers, but what they did was plumb the
trans thru the radiator cooler on the right side, and then over to the cooler on the left side
of the radiator, and then back to the trans!
Since this use of a double cooler was built in, I decided that the addition of an external trans
cooler would be overkill, but I intend to add the external engine oil cooler.
So, I bought a 1995 9C1 cooler on ebay. Then found out that all the factory lines for the coolers
have been discontinued. Meanwhile, I also acquired a 1994 oil filter adapter --- and then discovered
that the factory had made plumbing changes between the two years!
The '94 system had individual connectors at both ends, with American threads.
The '95 system has a monoblock fitting at the oil filter adapter, like the A/C compressor,
and these are metric threads! So, my plan now is to get some custom lines made to use the
parts that I have acquired. Bummer, but possible for $$$$$$!
Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:47 am

They discontinued the LT1 cooler lines?

Weird, I got new lines for my '92 last summer from the dealership just fine. Wonder why they would do that.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 am

Stingroo wrote:
They discontinued the LT1 cooler lines?

Weird, I got new lines for my '92 last summer from the dealership just fine. Wonder why they would do that.

Vehicle age obviously.
When I checked my source, some dealerships had one line only, but not both!
That's even weirder!
Then I also found out that the individual fittings version was from '93
but those lines don't work in the later bodies--- if you could even find them!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 am

rkmdogs wrote:

The '95 system has a monoblock fitting at the oil filter adapter, like the A/C compressor,

My 94 had the mono block setup on it from the factory.

I still have the adapter and lines in the garage. Would sell it all if you need it. The lines are from Dorman and were used for about a year and only a few thousand miles.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 pm

94Woody wrote:
rkmdogs wrote:

I still have the adapter and lines in the garage. Would sell it all if you need it. The lines are from Dorman and were used for about a year and only a few thousand miles.
For the oil cooler or the trans cooler?
Send me an e-mail with your price, please!
Include a pic of the stuff if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
tongue
Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Well of course, but I'm saying it's odd that they discontinued the LT1 lines but not the TBI lines. I didn't even have to wait, they had a set right on the shelf.

Maybe I got lucky.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Well of course, but I'm saying it's odd that they discontinued the LT1 lines but not the TBI lines. I didn't even have to wait, they had a set right on the shelf.

Maybe I got lucky.
You probably did, or the dealer appreciated you removing old stock that he was "stuck" with!
Back to top Go down
patgizz

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm

i'm deleting mine on the 94. new adapter/gasket/bolts is $20 at summit. i have a brand new set of lines for lt1 cooler if anybody needs them cheap. i have had plenty of 200K+ mile small blocks that did not have oil coolers. trans on the other hand, i'm a believer in you can almost never have enough trans cooling capacity ever since i saw a chart between trans temp and how exponential part wear increase is for every 10 degree increase in temp
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:56 am

patgizz wrote:
i'm deleting mine on the 94. new adapter/gasket/bolts is $20 at summit. i have a brand new set of lines for lt1 cooler if anybody needs them cheap. i have had plenty of 200K+ mile small blocks that did not have oil coolers. trans on the other hand, i'm a believer in you can almost never have enough trans cooling capacity ever since i saw a chart between trans temp and how exponential part wear increase is for every 10 degree increase in temp

Please PM me with a pic--- I am very interested, if they are for the air-cooled cooler.
A lot of them had the water-cooled variety, like what was on the F-bodied cars. That is not the same
as what was used on the 9C1 optioned cars.

You can send the info -- and price request to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks for a speedy reply. cheers
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 am

94Woody wrote:
rkmdogs wrote:

I'm interested but need to see what you have. Can you either post some pics, or send them to me via P/M?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I have the adapter for the engine and the lines from the adapter to the Cooler inside the radiator. I can get pics of the parts if needed but must dig them out, lol.
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am

94Woody wrote:
I have the adapter for the engine and the lines from the adapter to the Cooler inside the radiator. I can get pics of the parts if needed but must dig them out, lol.

It sounds like what you have is what was used on the "F"bodied cars,(Camaro & Firebird). This is a water-cooled system, not the air-cooled style
used on the police car options.
That's why I need to see pics of what you have. Thanks
Back to top Go down
patgizz

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 5:10 pm

the ones i have are for the wagon- in radiator cooler not 9c1 ones.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm

rkmdogs wrote:
94Woody wrote:

It sounds like what you have is what was used on the "F"bodied cars,(Camaro & Firebird). This is a water-cooled system, not the air-cooled style
used on the police car options.
That's why I need to see pics of what you have. Thanks

That is exactly what I have. It was used on more than just the F body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oil cooler delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil cooler delete   oil cooler delete Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil cooler delete
Page 1 of 1