GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

caught in a cross roads

Go down 
+13
Bewber
81X11
buickestate
200OZ
lornejay1
Olds Weighty Eight
toomanytoyz
95BRMW
Cadet57
phantom 309
Sprocket
silverfox103
a1awind
17 posters
AuthorMessage
a1awind

a1awind

caught in a cross roads Empty
PostSubject: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 pm

i have the opportunity here to acquire a 1968 Buick Sport wagon. 400ci/400th.
this one
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2519082150.html

the thing is ... i would have to sell TiKi to buy it. (he is asking $6000 for it...a bit lower for me. )

now...a little back ground. this particular 68 Buick wagon actually was used as an ambulance for the Floreffe Fire dpt from 1968 till the late 70's then i was used as a backup ambulance and staff car until 1987 or so. my grand father was one of the firefighters at Floreffe and participated in the founding of the station, and oversaw the purchase of said wagon.

In the 80's my grandfather and uncle would drive this in parades...with me in the passenger seat. i was bummed when the station sold the car. i figured that it died in a derby long ago. my grandfather passed away in 89

well about a year and a half ago i saw an ad on CL looking for old photos and info on this car. i answered the and and had met the owner a few times. he was him-hawing on returning it to its original state with lettering, lights and siren.
he is now selling it and he doesn't want it to go to some young idiot or a derbier.

I don't want to let TiKi go...all the work went into her and mark going through great lengths to get me a center console that met his specifications.

but this maybe a once in a lifetime opp. ....I dont know!! im stuck!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Ian

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. That 68 has family history in it plus it is a wagon and a rare one. LT1 wagons you can get all day long for 2 grand. I can tell you this, if you don't get it, you will regret it.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Tom is right Ian,get it now or regret it later!
Jim G
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Buy it now, ask too much for Tiki so no one buys it Smile

Seriously Ian, don't be a dummy. How many people get to buy THE car they rode around in as a kid? I know I"m lucky that I have my Dad's car and what a cool feeling it is to drive it and look over at my son in the passenger seat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey John I meant to ask you,just how long has the Healey been in your family?Always thought
the exhaust brap sounds so damn cool on the big sixes.Your motor was overhead valve but not
overhead cam,right?
Jim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm

do it,.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Sprocket wrote:

Seriously Ian, don't be a dummy. How many people get to buy THE car they rode around in as a kid? I know I"m lucky that I have my Dad's car and what a cool feeling it is to drive it and look over at my son in the passenger seat.

Spot on Sprocket. If I had the chance to buy a car with such a personal history I wouldn't hesitate if I had the means. You shouldn't either.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Hey John I meant to ask you,just how long has the Healey been in your family?Always thought
the exhaust brap sounds so damn cool on the big sixes.Your motor was overhead valve but not
overhead cam,right?
Jim

11 months longer than me! No overhead cam.
caught in a cross roads Engine_gbox_readytogoin

but this thread is about Ian's new wagon. Can't wait to see it in Flint!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Go for it Ian! Almost no one ever gets a chance to buy a child hood car.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 pm

No brainer, brah. Sell a kidney. Get the car. Smile
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:35 pm

caught in a cross roads 8just_do_it
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Not much to add as the jury has spoken Ian.

Only you know your $$ situation,and if you can swing it, enjoy it.

I like it.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 pm

If it's that nice, go for it, but I don't see you as owning an older car with all the maintenance and up keep they require. Polishing the brake lines will be the least of your worries. Wink
That would be a sweet old car to play with though Ian.

Mike
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 am

Sprocket wrote:
Buy it now, ask too much for Tiki so no one buys it Smile

+1
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am

I really like the glass-roof 60's-70's wagons, and a Buick is much more rare than an Olds from that era.

I had a 68 Skylark Custom 4dr hardtop in high school, 350 with a powerglide. Other than the bondo'd 1/4's (thanks New Jersey!) I really liked the car. It ran well and drove really nice. They're good cars.

Go for it!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:34 pm

"All the work that went into tiki"?

Dude, like WHAT? A console that isn't installed yet? You haven't changed it so much that it couldn't be put back to bone stock on a saturday morning before cartoons are even over. I get that you keep it OCD clean, but it isn't like most people would consider it a "modded" car. I'm not knocking what you've done at all, but I really can't see how changing wheels, mufflers, and headlights falls under the "I can't sell it now that I've done so much to it" umbrella. All are nice mods, especially the big penis tailpipes, but all are easily undone.

Another variable to ponder is your own mechanical skills. A 1968 may require a litttle different level of mechanical knowledge and aptitude to keep running smoothly than a 1995. Sometimes more, somtimes less, but different nonetheless - and different enough that it should be considered knowing how you are with wanting everything on your wagon to be "right".

Would you road trip the 68 with your family to Florida, or NY, or MI?

If the 68 was still exactly like it was when you rode in it, I could see the draw - but buying an old car for what it used to look like seems silly to me.

Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm

the big thing is weather or not it is longer than a 96 roadmaster. cause if its so much as a - hair longer it wont fit in my garage which is a deal breaker.

bewb, I have a VERY unsupportive wife. Every Mod is a major victory. ask scoob!
its not that we can't afford it...she just thinks its stupid. (i could say the same thing about her damn pandora bracelet that has $65 a piece beads!)a car to her, is an appliance!

i would and have driven TiKi to Florida and get 22-28 mpg. i wouldn't in that 68 just because it would average like 12 if im lucky!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:40 pm

There is a lot of truth to what John is saying. The mechanics of the two wagons (35 years apart) are entirely different. To me the 68 would be a lot easier to repair; but I also "cut my teeth" on them. The 68 may not be easier to repair for you. Also you won't be taking the 68 on trips to FL; shouldn't be any problem going to WFNY. Where the LT1 wagons can be counted on for 250K miles. The 68, probably 100K to 125K.

All that being said, I would still grab the 68. That is special! The LT1 wagons are common and not very expensive.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:42 pm

a1awind wrote:
the big thing is weather or not it is longer than a 96 roadmaster. cause if its so much as a - hair longer it wont fit in my garage which is a deal breaker.

its not that we can't afford it...she just thinks its stupid. (i could say the same thing about her damn pandora bracelet that has $65 a piece beads!)a car to her, is an appliance!

i would and have driven TiKi to Florida and get 22-28 mpg. i wouldn't in that 68 just because it would average like 12 if im lucky!

Only you can make your decision for yourself grasshopper,.
my advice,. is to get a new wife.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 pm

So where are the pictures of it in your driveway????

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am

phantom 309 wrote:

Are you allowed to post them on Craig's list?
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 pm

lakeffect wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

Are you allowed to post them on Craig's list?

You used to be to rent them under Adult Services, but Craigslist was forced to crack down on that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 pm

a1awind wrote:

How are your mods victories if they aren't things that she would notice? Awe geeze. You're not still asking for permission to do things are you?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 7:53 pm

is this the point where we here a whip crack and a cat meow?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 pm

All I got is sheep. Sorry.

The best I could do.

edited: I did better.

caught in a cross roads Billthecat2

Last edited by lakeffect on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm

buickestate wrote:

No, that's on your facebook, Pat.

lol
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:35 pm

200OZ wrote:
If it's that nice, go for it, but I don't see you as owning an older car with all the maintenance and up keep they require. Polishing the brake lines will be the least of your worries. Wink
That would be a sweet old car to play with though Ian.

Mike

It would be great to own and I would do it in a minute if it is truly and extra car. Mike has a great point on maintaining an old car.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 pm

lakeffect wrote:
All I got is sheep. Sorry.

you also have the velcro gloves and rubber boots.....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Stingroo wrote:
buickestate wrote:

No, that's on your facebook, Pat.

lol

brutal Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Eh, I do what I can. lol
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 3:32 am

Stingroo wrote:
Eh, I do what I can. lol

yes, yes you do,.1-8-4-3-6,......
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 4:03 pm

hee hee, Pics IAN???????
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 am

I have to sell TiKi first. any takers ? $4000
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm

ebay it, you'll get a better price
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 pm

ok so scoob, silverfox and Krash kadillac have basically talked me out of it! i certainly cant afford the fuel.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:08 am

The theoretical gas bill is an assumption on your part. Carb it right, throw in an OD trans, and keep your foot off the floor and you'd be all set. Probably get as good or better mileage than alot of guys on here. It's not a top fuel dragster.

Seriously though. This your EXTRA car. Your COOL car. The one you take to the ice cream place and to weeknight cruises at the hot dog stands. If you're gonna be all about gas mileage, buy a Subaru. Crovo's had his since like April and only filled it up twice!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Bewber wrote:
buy a Subaru. Crovo's had his since like April and only filled it up twice!

But he has a good reason why! Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigWagon

BigWagon

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm

So...what happened to the old Buick wagon? The craigslist posting has been deleted.
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

i just talked to the seller the car is gone its going to Georgetown (im assuming ohio) and the guy who bought it is taking it back to factory original. at least its safe.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Snooze you lose.....I'm losing sleep over a 94 SS with 148K for 3.5K right now....just can't swing it
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Nows the time for you hosers to start looking up rides on MY craigslists. Fly in for the bricks and drive it home.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:18 pm

and the car will weigh less with every bump I hit What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: caught in a cross roads   caught in a cross roads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

caught in a cross roads
Page 1 of 1