GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one

Go down 
+7
Deadmanonduty
BigBlackBeaSSt
Sprocket
DBeaSSt
mp775
1993 Roady-man
Lynol
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Empty
PostSubject: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 am

Well, it's happened again -and not intentionally; but it's a week shy of one year since I bought that blue '94 Caprice wagon, and just today I have become owner of yet another Caprice. No, it's not the DGGM Caprice I've been searching for, it's one that trumps the DGGM as my fav Cappy color; Medium Garnet Red! I never thought I would find one in that color (w/o wood that is) since only a few hundred were made each year but last night my friend Dave (95BRMW) alerted me to a new CL listing in wayyyyyy northern CT. A '95 with 129k, and almost all the options. The seller was a former owner of many RMWs, and got this from the used car lot she works at 6 months ago. She needed to sell it to get cash to buy her teen son a Century she found because he had already proved he couldn't handle the Caprice by wrecking the driver side mirror on the garage wall. So, since it was a first with cash gets it deal, Dave (who bought his Caprice wagona week shy of 2 years ago) did me the big favor of taking the hour and a half drive up there after work to look at it. She was asking $1,900, but there was a couple things she wasn't aware of that Dave noticed, so he was able to reach an agreement on $1,600, which after the problems Dave told me on the phone was my top offer. I'm picking it up this weekend, I can't wait to see it. The only pics I've seen are in the dark so they're worthless. Dave saw it in the light but was too busy to get pics until it was too late. So, here's the rundown on B-body wagon #3:

The good:
-Almost fully loaded, power everything, interior lighting everywhere, auto dim mirror, heated mirrors, the higher trim level seats (gray interior BTW) even has the woodgrain around the radio/HVAC bezel.
-Dave says it drives and shifts great, he said he made sure he flogged it a bit to make sure everything was OK.
-The paint shines!
-It comes with almost new tires
-Frame and undercarriage look very good, hardly any rust underneath
-Interior is in good shape, with no rips or major stains

The not so good:
-DS mirror ruined by the kid
-Slight hail looking damage to hood; Dave says you can see them slightly buy you can't feel them.
-A rust hole big enough to put your finger through on DS rear quarter
-A rust hole on the PS side spare tire well bottom about the size of two fingers.
-Owner says the speedometer reads 5 to 7MPH less than the cars actual speed. (tires ARE correct)
-The AC compressor went bad and was replaced with a bypass pulley about a week ago.
-Auto level fuse is pulled -probably means compressor is dead.
-Rear DS and PS window glass is held up with tape
-Hood ornament is missing.
-Headliner is sagging on edges in back.
-Not anything actually wrong with it, but it has a 2.56
-Someone wired the fans to a rheostat and a switch.(?)
-DS front marker light held in with masking tape

The strange:
-It does not have a tow pack, or even the higher capacity cooling package, yet it does have auto level.
-It has every electrical option except Twilight Sentinel yet has the 105amp alternator. (and my non power anything '94 has the 140!)
-It has California emissions. Not strange per se, but strange to me. I don't know what exactly is different between the CA and 49 state emissions on these cars.

Well, that's it for now. Pics to come once I get her on Saturday. It's a good thing I have my own house, 'cause if I still lived at home my parents would shoot me, and if I had a wife, she'd shoot me too!

It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one 09110110
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 am

Daylight pix's will be great, once you get her home. And if your happy with your purchase,...were all happy.
Back to top Go down
mp775

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 am

Nice color! Some other states adopted California emissions in the '90s (New York in 1993, Massachusetts in 1995). I looked at a '95 Caprice that still had its original window sticker, which said "California/Massachusetts emissions."
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am

Congrats! Looks like you'll need to update your signature pics again. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 am

good job!! If you get the right wife, she won't shoot you, just roll her eyes and say "another one? Really?"
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks guys, and yeah I'll put up some daylight pics as soon as I get it. Oh and Mike, I'll be taking it to WF VA in October so you'll get to see it. I figured it was the way to go, although it would be pretty cool to bring your red OCC's twin, lol. Does anyone remember who had the Medium Garnet Red Caprice at WF NY 2010? I talked to him extensively but somehow forgot his name. He was from Canada and the car had been bought out of some guy's basement. (that's right)
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Look forward to seeing your NEW car!!! Congrats.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm

congrats!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 pm

that was the dude that was rocking the 454SS rims. That car was sharp, I liked it alot. It's a much better red than my 92 Cappy's (Sorry Stingroo).
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:46 pm

I have the GMC version of the 454SS rims on my wagon! Smile
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am

Lynol wrote:
Does anyone remember who had the Medium Garnet Red Caprice at WF NY 2010? I talked to him extensively but somehow forgot his name. He was from Canada and the car had been bought out of some guy's basement. (that's right)
That was Quentin Lewis, I don't know what his username is here though.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

95BRMW wrote:
Lynol wrote:
Does anyone remember who had the Medium Garnet Red Caprice at WF NY 2010? I talked to him extensively but somehow forgot his name. He was from Canada and the car had been bought out of some guy's basement. (that's right)
That was Quentin Lewis, I don't know what his username is here though.
Ah ha... yeah this is the car here:
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Dscf2341
Pic by GASTT
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 am

Lynol wrote:
Thanks guys, and yeah I'll put up some daylight pics as soon as I get it. Oh and Mike, I'll be taking it to WF VA in October so you'll get to see it. I figured it was the way to go, although it would be pretty cool to bring your red OCC's twin, lol. Does anyone remember who had the Medium Garnet Red Caprice at WF NY 2010? I talked to him extensively but somehow forgot his name. He was from Canada and the car had been bought out of some guy's basement. (that's right)

Aw darn, no twins! Oh well still be nice to see the new car. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Well, here it is. I picked it up Saturday, fixed one of the rear windows (both guides broken on both rear windows) and then cleaned it, slapped some old wheel covers on it, new hood ornament, and drove it home to NJ and took some pics just a little while ago. The cars not perfect, and the rust on the DS and PS rear quarters is worse than Dave had thought when he looked at the car, but the underside is no where even close to my blue Caprice. Also, the fuel system looses it's pressure if it sits for a while, so I have to investigate that. It's hard to make an offer for a car you can't see, as everyone's opinion of condition varies. If I would have seen it myself I may not have paid what I did, mostly 'cause I'm lazy and don't want to do any body work! However, Dave did me a HUGE favor by driving almost 2 hours and back after work to look at it, so for that I'm grateful and I'm happy I bought it. I think both Dave and I got blinded by it's awesome color, and may have looked the other way on a few things, but hey -that's the price you pay for a sweet lookin' red wagon.

It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010608It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010593
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010595
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010592
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010594
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010600
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010598
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010599
It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one P1010605
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:10 pm

DROOOOOOL Red on gray? I phucking love it!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Looks good Lynol.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:46 pm

That is bitchin' beauty color combo
Back to top Go down
gwturbo

gwturbo

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Very nice looking ride. I love the color also.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Couple interesting things I found in this car: upon closer inspection, what Dave had originally thought might be a rheostat is actually an adjustable fan controller with a temp sensor shoved into the upper rad hose (yeahhhhh) and the car has an MSD coil and MSD wires, and also the ALC has been replaced by a set of coil over type load leveling shocks. So, one of the past owners was "into" these cars... Oh I also found that even though this car has California emissions, it spent it's whole life (from mile 10) up to January with various owners in between Amherst and Springfield, Massachusetts. Maybe Mass. is one of those other states that adopted CA emissions requirements?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Yeah, Massachusetts adopted CA emissions in '95 actually.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 am

Now we just have to figure out what has been done to that engine to make it feel more powerful than both your caprice and my 1A2. From those bolts it looks like the heads had been off recently.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

do tell.....
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Lynol wrote:
January with various owners in between Amherst and Springfield, Massachusetts. Maybe Mass. is one of those other states that adopted CA emissions requirements?

Go figure. I live next to Springfield and Amherst is like 20 mins away. Never saw this car before. Laughing Do you know where it was purchsed new?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Sprocket wrote:
do tell.....

When I went to test drive it for him I drove up there in my 1A2, same 2.56 gears. I instantly noticed this red Caprice has a lot more power than my 1A2, moved more like my tow pack Roadmaster. Found the engine has an MSD coil and wires, bolts on the heads look brand new, no rust. The axle is definitely a 2.56, checked that out once we got it back to my place. Just wonder what was done to this car to give it a little boost Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 pm

95BRMW wrote:
Sprocket wrote:
do tell.....

When I went to test drive it for him I drove up there in my 1A2, same 2.56 gears. I instantly noticed this red Caprice has a lot more power than my 1A2, moved more like my tow pack Roadmaster. Found the engine has an MSD coil and wires, bolts on the heads look brand new, no rust. The axle is definitely a 2.56, checked that out once we got it back to my place. Just wonder what was done to this car to give it a little boost Very Happy

The emissions junk still there? I know the LT1 cars have a TSB on them saying that it can be removed.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:58 pm

looked to be all there. I removed that crap on my 9c1 and it didn't make any difference.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 am

wow that is nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one   It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It must be wagon season this time of year... I've caught a fresh one
Page 1 of 1