GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Acoustic Blasphemy

Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Empty
PostSubject: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi, I just found out that the power steering box is rotting from the inside and causing a severe leak.
I've narrowed down which box to buy, but am having trouble telling which pressure and return hoses are required.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but please keep in mind I know nothing! I'm buying the parts and a local mechanic will install.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Look on your SPID (passenger side D pillar) and see if you have the "NV7" code for the variable assist steering.

Autozone Duralast part # 91779 if you do not have it, and 91780 if you do. Both are $36.99
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Krzdimond, can you tell me more specifically where to look? I just opened the passenger side doors and inspected the pillars inside and out and didn't see anything that looked like a code.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 pm

I put the 9C1 hoses on my wagon. It has an extra zig zag of tubing that I attached the the lower fan shroud to cool the fluid. Cost no/little more. Look on the back of your pump. The line either comes straight out of the pump and has (2) 90* turns/bends in the pipe if you do not have the assist. Or the pipe comes in from the side (passenger) and the fitting in the back of the pump has a 90* turn. Therefore the tubing has a 90* turn going in if you DO have the assist. Either way you can order the replacement pipe with a cooler in the line. That is my suggestion. I order them from RockAuto.

BTW your stock steering box is a 17:1 ratio box. The Impala SS box and 9C1 (I think) is 12.5:1, making is steer quicker. I put an AGR 12:1 box in my wagon and love it. Although it does steer a bit harder.
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I found my SPID finally, and there was a code amongst many that read NV7. So I'm looking for a variable assist box if I understand correctly.

I'm still baffled as to which hoses to buy, but will check Rock Auto as recommended. I totally appreciate all the help!

Gary
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm

I believe the gear box is the same. The pump is even the same, just a valve with a switch hooked to it on the back of the pump. Also a sensor on the column with wires and a plug.

Give me a day or two and I can come up with part numbers for you.
Back to top Go down
Acoustic Blasphemy

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 6:45 pm

I just narrowed it down on Rock Auto and got the steering box with variable assist, and the pressure and return hoses that they recommended. If they don't fit, I can return them.

I'm grateful for the info. on the Variable Assist "NV7" code, thanks so much.

Anything else I'm missing, I appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)   Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Power Steering Hoses for '95 BRW (estate wagon)
Page 1 of 1