GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Top of Tank Fuel Leak?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Top of Tank Fuel Leak? Empty
PostSubject: Top of Tank Fuel Leak?   Top of Tank Fuel Leak? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 am

When I did the pinion yoke/seal this weekend I noticed a fuel leak coming from the top of the tank. Before I drop the tank, what could my issue(s) be? The sending unit is about 6 months old so it's not rusted out. Do those rubber lines on the end of the tank wear out and leak? Also, when we were raising the car we had it lifted up pretty high on one side to place jackstands and the car has a full tank of gas, is it possible some just pushed out the top of the tank? My gas mileage is where it always is and I don't smell fuel when driving.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Top of Tank Fuel Leak?   Top of Tank Fuel Leak? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:25 am

I had a gas leak from my tank, and it was a crack in the tank. I think my mechanic dropped it when he was changing pumps. I did not smell gas until I got out of the car. It is possible for a crack to develop. You are going to have to drop the tank to find out. Usually the garage uses a smoke generator, and pumps smoke into the tank. If smoke comes out, you have found the leak.

Unless you have the O-ring in crooked, or the nuts are not tight, there are not a lot of places to leak. The metal lines extend right to the edge of the tank, so it is not likely that the fuel lines are leaking on the tank.

I have never had a leak when jacking one side, and I have had the car up about 2 feet, and was almost uncomfortable with the way it sat.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Top of Tank Fuel Leak?   Top of Tank Fuel Leak? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 am

Interesting. I had a gas leak from my black wagon when I jacked it up on one side really high to swap control arms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top of Tank Fuel Leak?   Top of Tank Fuel Leak? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top of Tank Fuel Leak?
Page 1 of 1