GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door interchangeability

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

Door interchangeability Empty
PostSubject: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I may have the opportunity to buy a 92 Caprice wagon that needs front fenders and doors and I've also stumbled across a Caprice sedan prisitne body for $450 that needs an engine. A buddy of mine believes that sedan doors interchange with wagon doors, but I've almost been burned by subtle differences in the past ( 70-72 Chevelle front fenders will not fit a 70-72 ElCamino or chevelle wagon)
Has anybody installed sedan doors on a wagon?
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Front doors will interchange, rears will not.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:57 pm

^ Yup. What he said. Also 95-96 front doors will swap onto the older cars too.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 pm

It is a lot easier to R&R the doors if you have the front fenders off. If the wheelhouses are not bent, you can just replace the fender and reinforcement. The easy way to remove the door is to have it latched, and remove the hinge bolts...get a good grip on the door, and unlatch it. Then you can just walk away from the car with it. A helper would be nice when installing the donor part.

Keep all of the shims, you never know which ones you will need.

Are the panels the same color? If so, it sounds like a match made in heaven (maybe in the factory...by accident...it is GM you know).
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

They are both white cars:)
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

You do not even have to paint.
Back to top Go down
QUICKSSILVER

QUICKSSILVER

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 pm

hmm been thinking of replacing my fenders and doors on the wagon. Used to have woodgrain on it and now the body is wavy where the rivets where.from the fenders all the way back to the rear quarters. So i was gonna get new fenders and doors before she got sprayed this time around. Since we are on the topic of door compatibility, can the door panels from a chevy bbody fit in a roady wagon? thanx
Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/ziplockfreshhh
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

QUICKSSILVER wrote:
hmm been thinking of replacing my fenders and doors on the wagon. Used to have woodgrain on it and now the body is wavy where the rivets where.from the fenders all the way back to the rear quarters. So i was gonna get new fenders and doors before she got sprayed this time around. Since we are on the topic of door compatibility, can the door panels from a chevy bbody fit in a roady wagon? thanx

The rear doors from the Chevy B body wagon fit, but the holes for the fly away panel, trim holes and T pins are not there. the front doors bolt right on (subject to the year 91-94 vs 95-96), but the trim holes and T pins are not on the Chevy doors. The exception is if the Chevy has woodgrain, then the T pins and trim hole may be there, if the Chevy has the upper trim.
Back to top Go down
QUICKSSILVER

QUICKSSILVER

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
QUICKSSILVER wrote:

The rear doors from the Chevy B body wagon fit, but the holes for the fly away panel, trim holes and T pins are not there. the front doors bolt right on (subject to the year 91-94 vs 95-96), but the trim holes and T pins are not on the Chevy doors. The exception is if the Chevy has woodgrain, then the T pins and trim hole may be there, if the Chevy has the upper trim.

You have any pics of someone whose done this mod? Im not quite sure what the trim holes/t pins are. I was hoping to use SS door panels front and back
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 pm

QUICKSSILVER wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
QUICKSSILVER wrote:

You have any pics of someone whose done this mod? Im not quite sure what the trim holes/t pins are. I was hoping to use SS door panels front and back

As was stated in the at least 3 of the above posts, you can NOT use the sedan rear doors on a wagon.
Back to top Go down
QUICKSSILVER

QUICKSSILVER

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Fred yea i know the doors won't work, were u saying the door panels wouldnt work?thats what i wanted to know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Sedan rear door panels won't work. The front ones will. You can dye your wagon rear panels the proper color though.
Back to top Go down
QUICKSSILVER

QUICKSSILVER

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm

ok thanx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door interchangeability   Door interchangeability Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door interchangeability
Page 1 of 1