GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Touch up aerosol cans in factory color

Go down 
+4
Krzdimond
toomanytoyz
silverfox103
Gastt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gastt

Gastt

Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Empty
PostSubject: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I am looking to do a quick fix on my wagon. I want to order an aerosol can (or 2) in the factory LAB to spray over the tan areas around the door handles and gas tank door. I also need to touch up the rear bumper and sail panels. Anybody have a recommendation as to where I can order something that will be a close to perfect match? Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Some Napa locations can make it if you bring them your paint code.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

http://www.paintscratch.com/

I haven't used them, but I saved the link just in case.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Used my paint codes and bought Plasti-kote frpm pep boys at a very reasonable price.I believe
it was about 6 bucks for a 6 oz can.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Robbins Auto Parts can put it in a can for ya, too.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

I see Autozone carries the Duplicolor Perfect Match system. I think I am going to use that product. LAB paint code from my research is WA121A. Should be close to a "perfect match" as this paint has not seen the light of day until a few months ago. Anybody use this before with good results? Going to scuff the areas with a red scotch pad before use.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Is the tan on TOP of the clear? You should be able to wetsand/compound it down quite a bit. I'm sure others have input...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:18 pm

That paint is 3-5 MIL's thick. ANY pressure what-so-ever from someone who does not do this daily WILL burn through it.

Ask me how I know......

Compound, maybe. Wetsand? Not a chance in hell that all will come out fine.

As for the Duplicolor... it will amtch fine, just use the clear. Keep in mind that the spray cans are watery and will run at the blink of an eye and the clear is what is called 1K or single componant. 1K clears do not last that long... maybe a year at best... but are an excellent "touch-up"
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm just touching up the tan around the handles and gas door. Maybe do the sail panels. This is my winter beater so it just needs to look decent from a distance.

Unfortunately, GM sprayed the base coat, then the tan and then clear over it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm

ALot of the colors on our wagons are not avail in the duplicolor. I went to a local automotive paint supply and took them the color of the spid label. (compnine is your friend if you can't read the spid). I bought an 8 oz can, some reducer and a little aerosol bottle where you put the mix in and use the gas charge can. Probably be better if you can find a place that will put it in a can for you. the reducer was pricey and had to buy a whole gallon. I used it to touch up my bumper and mirror tops. Was good for about 2 years but then again I never waxed it either.

I sprayed Home Depot clear over it and it looked good.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Take it from a painter, find a local DuPont store and ask them to mix up your color and give them your vin number as well. DuPont has this VINDACTOR program, which uses your vin number to match the approriate variance to your cars make year and model,... it gives you a 98% match.

Also ask them if they can put it in an aerosl can for you, so you can spray bomb it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Take it from a painter, find a local DuPont store and ask them to mix up your color and give them your vin number as well. DuPont has this VINDACTOR program, which uses your vin number to match the approriate variance to your cars make year and model,... it gives you a 98% match.

Also ask them if they can put it in an aerosl can for you, so you can spray bomb it.

Is that real expensive,buying paint that way instead of off the counter and how close is it?
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 6:12 am

Yeah it can get expensive, I guess I am so use to paying $52-$80 for half pints and anywhere between $45- $120 for full pints I didn't question cost.

As for match when using your vin code and as long as your car has never been painted it's a 98% match, 100% match with a blend. Will admit 9 times out of 10 it's a perfect match.

Quite honestly you can blend silver onto light blue and nobody would able to tell you where the 2 paints stop or start. Then again i've been doing this for over 25 years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Yeah it can get expensive, I guess I am so use to paying $52-$80 for half pints and anywhere between $45- $120 for full pints I didn't question cost.

As for match when using your vin code and as long as your car has never been painted it's a 98% match, 100% match with a blend. Will admit 9 times out of 10 it's a perfect match.

Quite honestly you can blend silver onto light blue and nobody would able to tell you where the 2 paints stop or start. Then again i've been doing this for over 25 years.
Glad you added that last part about doing it for 25 years because I can guarantee my blend would be very visible!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 pm

My truck's fender and hood were painted with that VIN match DuPont stuff. It really is like 99% a perfect match. Would never notice it if I'd let him blend it. Wink But he just got that stuff, sprayed the parts one day in his bay, then I dropped off the truck in the morning and picked it up on my way home from work the same day with the close-to-perfect new sheetmetal on it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Gastt wrote:
I see Autozone carries the Duplicolor Perfect Match system. I think I am going to use that product. LAB paint code from my research is WA121A. Should be close to a "perfect match" as this paint has not seen the light of day until a few months ago. Anybody use this before with good results? Going to scuff the areas with a red scotch pad before use.

Tim, I did my wagon with the Duplicolor stuff when I first pulled the woodgrain. Goes on nice. And the color was really close. Good enough for a temp fix.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Duplicolor doesn't make the LAB WA121A in a spray can. Just the touch pen. I'm going to find a local place that can match it and put it in an aerosol for me. Getting sick of the tan crap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Touch up aerosol cans in factory color   Touch up aerosol cans in factory color Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Touch up aerosol cans in factory color
Page 1 of 1