GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Body molding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello, a big hunk of chrome trim came off my left rear passenger door. I guess it somehow slid out of position and when I closed the door, it broke off and snapped all the plastic retaining clips. I got the three center clips from ebay but there are two on the ends which I can't seem to find.

Also, does anyone know what size rivet I'm going to need?

Thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 pm

The studs for mounting the clips are welded to the door you should not need rivets if I understand you correctly the clips slide on the two vertical studs. At each end of the trim should be a stud that a plastic nut screws to from the back side of the door one at each end. Jeff
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Yes, they're studs. one of them came off when I tried putting the plastic clip on and I thought I could use a pop rivet. It seems like the studs are too big for the clips. Not sure how to snap them on. I broke the old clips off.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:14 pm

I can see a hole on the back end of the door where a plastic screw would have been. The front of the door has some kind of grey clip that's still attached but broken. On the trim, there's remains of a blue clip.
All in all, it looks like there was one grey clip in the front, three red clips in the middle followed by a blue clip on the end. Wow.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Looks like tech screws through the trim into the door are going to be my solution  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 am

I have a couple of trim pieces for the door, and they have the end clips in them. If you are interested let me know. You can remove the clips and put them in your trim if you like your trim better.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks, I wound up just making do with the clips I had and using tech screws. You can hardly see them. It seems like it's been hit on that side and someone used pop rivets in place of the factory pins so the clips wouldn't have held anyhow.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Glad you found a way to mount it.... my wagon had a repair done before I owned it where they also used pop rivets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Body molding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body molding   Body molding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Body molding
Page 1 of 1