GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When to replace the timing chain set

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

When to replace the timing chain set Empty
PostSubject: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 pm

I finally got the timing cover off- I see baked on, goopy gritty crud on the chain links and the sprockets, which I wasn't expecting.

I see GM part numbers on the sprocket, so I assume the set is original.

Chain deflection is less than 1/2"

The service manual isn't terribly helpful to me, to paraphrase it, "replace if it looks worn" - so I'm looking for some of your guys' wisdom and guidance here. 165k miles... replace it? Or "it lasts forever, clean it off, save the 70 bucks"

-Mike Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 am

Since you already have it opened up, I would replace it, it looks worn. You need a three prong gear puller to get the crank gear off, and a piece of pipe that will clear the key, and a BFH to put it back on. It took three taps with a sledge hammer to seat mine. It makes a nice solid thump when it seats. Align the timing marks before removing the gear, and do not move anything before installing the new one. Soak it in oil before closing the cover.

You must replace the crank gear when changing the chain.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:18 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

You must replace the crank gear when changing the chain.

why MUST you?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm

It says so in the instructions, and I like to have a valid warranty when I install something like that. I assume the wear pattern on the gear can cause rapid wear on the new chain.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Replace it before it snaps on you, and then need to kiss your valve train and piston tops goodbye.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
It says so in the instructions, and I like to have a valid warranty when I install something like that. I assume the wear pattern on the gear can cause rapid wear on the new chain.

assumptions,. shure make the world go round,.i can;t think of the number of small blocks i have put a chain on without changing any gears,.
never seen a small block snap its chain,. i have seen them wear a hole in the cover they were so loose,.

you would get warranty on what? from who? for what?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 pm

If you aren't going for a complete overhaul, do as Nick says and just toss a new chain on.

The hardened sprockets will out live the second chain.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When to replace the timing chain set   When to replace the timing chain set Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When to replace the timing chain set
Page 1 of 1