GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...

Go down 
+3
lakeffect
phantom 309
ShamelessTR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Empty
PostSubject: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 pm

So I got my new wire sets from Innovative, and got them installed this evening after work... After wrestling with the wires for a bit... I got them all bolted in and everything is wonderful. Just curious is anyone else has the wires and maybe some suggestions to getting them to sit in a little happier... I have plenty of brute force, but I don't want to break anything... Or at this point break anything further. If someone would happen to have pics that'd be great too... I have a bunch of pics, but I can't post them yet. Ha.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 pm

ShamelessTR wrote:
So I got my new wire sets from Innovative, and got them installed this evening after work... After wrestling with the wires for a bit... I got them all bolted in and everything is wonderful. Just curious is anyone else has the wires and maybe some suggestions to getting them to sit in a little happier... I have plenty of brute force, but I don't want to break anything... Or at this point break anything further. If someone would happen to have pics that'd be great too... I have a bunch of pics, but I can't post them yet. Ha.

It's like sex,.........trying to fit a big wire into a small space , it goes much easier with lube,..

dish soap works really well,.. er,... not for sex tho,. (in case you were confused??)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Where to you think they got the phrase "Bubble Butt" from?

Pics can be posted via a third party  hosting site such as "photobucket.com"   Pics cannot be directly loaded from a home computer. They need to have a full time URL supported source available. Click the following link for details.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t55-read-this-first-how-to-post-pics-now-with-pics?highlight=post+pictures

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks. Probably coulda used a little lube... But I tend to not mind it a little dry.... Anyway can't post pictures because of the less than seven days rule... They are on my photobucket. Username ShamelessTR1.... I will warn you if you do go in search... there are pics of my Honda as well... You have been warned.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 pm

HONDA! Cut off his MEMBERship!
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 am

Yup. I work at a Honda dealership even. Have an 89 Civic hatchback (very wagonesk) five speed turbo. It's not nearly as cool as the Roadmaster.... But it gets waaaay better mileage. Ha. My GTP would outrun it any day of the week though.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:43 pm

if you are talking about the ground wire it has to run alittle different. i think gary says that in the instructions
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Pictures... I'm talking about any advice on positioning the wires here.
 photo 20141015_182456_zpsjygiv3lg.jpg
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 pm

photo 20141015_182452_zpsjk1nijiz.jpg
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 pm

the positive wire in pic. on my wagon it does not run under the coolant tank, mine runs to the drivers side of tank along the wheel well then up to the battery. in your 1st pic see the bolt holding tank to wheel well your battery cable should be coming from drivers side of that bolt then up to battery. if u still cantget it i can take pics sat. of mine i will look to see if i have any pics on my computer also
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:27 pm

its hard to tell but you can see the red  cover on battery cable and how it runs down low on wheel well i think it runs threw the same plastic clamp that holds the ac lines if i remember correctly
Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Ve3y46

i will look for better pic
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 pm

pic of how it comes straight up
Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... 2vmbyx2

Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... 13yfn1d
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 am

Hmm... Thanks for that John. I see what you mean. Maybe I've just got some extra slack to pull out on the other end.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 5:32 pm

you have to pull it out from under that tank. are we meeting up this weekend or meeting at wf sun i am good in afternoon. if you want to see my cars wires you would need to come to my house the wagon is currently apart. will get it back together this week for wf
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 5:54 pm

The one under the tank isn't the issue... or wasn't the issue... it was more a solution. It just ended up happier there. It's the one that went back to the starter that was an issue. I probably just need to feed it back further. I couldn't get the alt and starter wire to spin to the opposite side, but as I said... Probably cause I need to feed them back further.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 am

Are you talking about "the big 3"?

Negative post, Alternator, and block?

I have seen this done a lot with 0 guage wire.
Guess im a little lost...its late, im hungry, and tired....that "big 3" can be disastrous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 am

Basically, yes. There's a company, Innovating Wiring, that makes a plug and play kit for a Big 3 upgrade for these cars.

I made my own with 1/0, though.
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah. I've made my own before a few times, but never anything with the quality and attention to detail as the set I got from Innovative Wiring. If you know what your doing the big 3 is a safe, and smart upgrade for just about any vehicle... But having made my own in the past I took the time to make each and every wire just so... and having the vehicle in front of me made that an easy task... I was more so just curious to see if anyone had any pointers on making these wires sit happy.in any case I am very happy with my purchase and I'd do it again any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 10:15 am

Well, my battery dropped a cell yesterday. When I was replacing it I noticed some corrosion in the positive cable terminal that seems to go down into the cable. So I'm looking to replace the factory cables with ones from Innovative Wiring because they seem to be highly regarded as quality parts. They list two for LT1 B bodies with the second being for a high output alternator. I assume this means for a stock hi output unit like my 96 RMW limited with power "everything" came with. Is that correct?

My second question is about the battery cable stud problem I've read about being troublesome. I really didn't know where it was located until I started checking battery connections when it wouldn't start. Is it the one next to the under hood fuse box? Mine seems to look fine, but I'm not really sure what the problem typically is. Can somebody school me on this?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Do you mean the auxiliary battery post? See here.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=237690

Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...   Installing "big" wires on a Wagon... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installing "big" wires on a Wagon...
Page 1 of 1