GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

U-haul Trailer hitch

Go down 
+4
buickwagon
COL
95BRMW
zach.skinner510
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zach.skinner510

U-haul Trailer hitch  Empty
PostSubject: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know just called my local U-haul as a last resort for a hitch for my wagon. Took a couple phone calls, incompetent employees that don't know there products to blame for that. But they are building me a 3500 lbs hitch with a 2" inch receiver 8,000 lbs capacity with a weight distributing hitch. All said and done out the door should be less $200 with warranty.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Keep u updated on this, a member here tried to buy it from them recently and just got the run around from them. Les than $200? That's a bargain for new!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Good luck with that Zach and please post pictures when it arrives,fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah I'll get pics for sure said it should be here Monday at the latest. I'm worried it will only be a 1 1/4" receiver because that's all they show online but he said they will make it what I want, plus I didn't have to put anything down so if I don't like it I can just walk away.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Well they did not know what they were talking about. It was only a class II 11/4" receiver, after arguing with them for 10 minutes I walked out. They say it's an alternative to a class III/IV hitch. So obviously they do not build them anymore just buy Curt hitches and slap a sticker on them.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Not an alternative to a class III/IV hitch.   U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm

zach.skinner510 wrote:
Well they did not know what they were talking about. It was only a class II 11/4" receiver, after arguing with them for 10 minutes I walked out. They say it's an alternative to a class III/IV hitch. So obviously they do not build them anymore just buy Curt hitches and slap a sticker on them.

Class II looks like this.U-haul Trailer hitch  Class2hitch_zpsc7617fbc

Class III looks like this.U-haul Trailer hitch  F36306655

Class II is not adequate for pulling much more than a small utility trailer. Not a Camper trailer.
U-haul Trailer hitch  001
Keep looking,
Dick
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 pm

And just to prove how much they didn't know they were going to throw in a 1 1/4"-2" adapter, which said in bold white letters not for towing use on the side. They were going to throw it in for nothing though. Guess it's time to build my own
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 11:18 pm

zach.skinner510 wrote:
They say it's an alternative to a class III/IV hitch.
I'd consider a strongly-worded note to head office, outlining this stupidity. Someone could get killed following such terrible advice.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

What is the major difference between a class 2 & 3 hitch? I ahve a class 2 and am pretty sure I have overloaded it at some point, but would like to know the difference - they really don't look too different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Sven the little hitch has a 1.25 inch square reciever and the class 3 has a 2 inch square reciever.The class 3 usually requires 2 bolts on each side and I have seen class 2s with a single bolt on each side.I had a class 3 mounted on my fathers crown vic last week and it used 2 bolts on each side and 4 clowns to install it.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Caution: not all 2" receivers are Class III. Some Class II can be 2" square or even a 2" x 3/4" rectangle. (Note: 2" Class II receivers are not as deep as Class III and the pin is in a different position so while you can mount a Class II ball platform in a Class III receiver, you cannot mount a Class III platform in a Class II receiver.)

The major difference is towing capacity -- both tongue weight and gross trailer weight. As Flasheroo correctly notes, the Class III is not only stronger overall, it has a much stronger connection to the car's frame. Yes, you can probably get away with overloading a Class II -- they are probably over-engineered by at least a 5x safety factor -- provided nothing goes wrong. However, sudden manouvers may separate the hitch from the frame if overloaded.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I believe I got lucky at the local u-pull yard today, found what I believe is a Reese class III hitch. It is a 3 piece bolt together style hitch, says 3,500 lbs capacity, 6,000 lbs with weight distributing hitch. Definetly needs a good sandblast and paint, but with the 2 pieces of fender trim I needed it cost me $15 all together. Worst part was every bolt broke and the car was on the ground with no wheels on it that made it interesting. Nothing like crawling around on heavy gravel for an hour and a half.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Sounds like a good score at least there wasn't any snow to deal with.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Yeah that's true but it was only in the low 40's but I'm not complaining very happy with it
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:32 pm

zach.skinner510 wrote:
says 3,500 lbs capacity, 6,000 lbs with weight distributing hitch.
That's an example of a Class II hitch with a 2" receiver.

Class II -> up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight, 350 lbs tongue weight
Class III -> up to 5,000 lbs / 500 lbs
Class IV -> up to 10,000 / 1,000 lbs (at the time these cars were made, that may have been upped to 12,000 now)

Those ratings are for Weight Carrying use. There is no standardized rating for how much extra capacity Weight Distributing use provides -- that is determined by the hitch and/or auto manufacturer, whichever is less.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Knew my luck wasn't that good
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Oh I wouldn't say your luck was all that bad -- personally I would want to use a weight distributing hitch for anything over 3,500 lbs anyway, and unless your car is a tow-pack version and you feel the need to max it out, I believe that hitch is sufficient for the car's capacity.

A weight-distributing hitch makes a world of difference in the handling. The WD setup provides an inherent sway control and improves braking by shifting tongue weight to the car's front wheels. I'm not aware of any WD setups in a 1.25" size, so for $15 and a bit of sweat-equity, you have what you need. I'd say that's a good score!
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

It will more than suit my needs that's for sure, was just hoping it was one of the in-findable class III just to say I have one. But I'm happy with what I got and the price was the best part
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Zach,dont worry about "buickwagon"he loves to rain on everyone,s parade.For the cost of some spraypaint and a little sandblasting,your hitch will look like a BETTER hitch.Post a pic when you get done.I am now sure that the class III hitch I bought last weekend is actually a class II with a 2 inch reciever installed.Plan on taking it back on my sisters day off for a refund,she is a award winning paralegal that loves to make grown men cup their balls when she starts to verbally remove them from across the room.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 12:33 pm

If you find the elusive class III I will buy the one you have. Jeff
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm always looking so if I ever find one I'll keep you in mind, would hate to see shipping costs on this thing though. But for now it will work just fine, probably won't be hauling any more than that anyhow.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 6:07 pm

In a sense, I guess I did "rain on your parade". For that I apologize.

But I rather correct inaccurate information distributed than nod and say "good for you". It's like people calling the 92 or 93 L05 a "Corvette engine", being confused by the later LT1 equipped models. Now you know what you've really got.

And I still think it was a steal at $15.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Don't worry did bring me down, if anything I appreciate the info so I really know what I have and what it's capable of. Don't worry constructive criticism is always helpful, plus I won't look or sound stupid by telling someone it's a class III hitch. So thanks for the info and clarification.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Shipping on hitches is easy. You don't even have to box them. Slap a label on them via fedex and it goes on its way. It was about $60 to send my class III from PA to FL.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 am

zach.skinner510 wrote:
I realize I am a little late to this dance,but stuff like this really bothers me. When people
work for a company such as this one,probably the most renounded and validated corp.
for towing and hauling components, these employees really need to know what they are talking about.
Fortunately,for you, there were folks here to guide you through the mire.Being given the incorrect
information could have cost a life or lives. Of course once this happens ,there will be alot of
corporate types that will know all the rules and information regarding trailer hitch class types.
The problem is employee training,I would bet if these people( employees at this company's branches) were
asked how much training did you go through in order to properly learn how to install trailer hitches that it
would be none to 15 minutes. Also ask them how much they know about head bolt markings and which bolts
need to used for which applications. I have been to a few of these shops,the tools they use are second class
and many times not proper for the job. Anyway lots of folks have said to me, brimming with confidence, hey look at my
new trailer hitch for my boat or race car , yep looks nice ,I say, Did you install it yourself? No way,I had the guys at
the trailer rental shop do it ,they are the experts ,you know! ed
Back to top Go down
snakeeyesracing

snakeeyesracing

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 1:02 am

Just got one for mine. Pay no mind to the laundry soap. Girls car you know.   Rolling Eyes Oh, anyone know where I can get hardware for it? I couldn't get the plates out of frame.

U-haul Trailer hitch  IMG_20150419_210836U-haul Trailer hitch  IMG_20150419_210850
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U-haul Trailer hitch    U-haul Trailer hitch  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

U-haul Trailer hitch
Page 1 of 1