GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dashboard trim

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OCCruiseship

Dashboard trim Empty
PostSubject: Dashboard trim   Dashboard trim Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 3:55 am

Dashboard trim IMG_20141223_015241

As you can see, owners previous decided to destroy the wood trim. Only story I have on that one is that owner 2 had a custom sound system (<-- actually true. Ask the rear door paneling where it got its' speakers from) and removed it when owner 3 bought it. Owner 3 installed the radio as shown, but I want to remove it as you can see it doesn't fit right (plus left channel pops and crackles at random) and I want to restore the original look. Now here's the question: does the damage look too bad and is there anywhere I can get that wood trim (and the chrome that goes around it)?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Dashboard trim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dashboard trim   Dashboard trim Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:50 am

First off, the panel is FUBAR. To get another, you will have to find it in a junk yard. Try to get one that does not have the woodgrain separated from the base. It is heat welded, and a RPITA to reattach. If the base is the wrong color, you can tape off the chrome and woodgrain and get some SEM 4565 and paint to match.

I have contemplated an aluminum panel to replace the woodgrain front. I would "engine turn" the surface, then cut the openings. I would also have it powdercoated with satin black to minimalize it.

Another option is to use the dash from a 91-93 RMW. It will fit, but the woodgrain has a little different color and is glossy. The map pocket would fit over the "Roadmaster" on the donor piece. You can also spray a dull coat over the woodgrain to take the sheen away. It is a temporary fix, until you find an original piece.

You probably need the original radio mount to replace the rigged one you have.
Back to top Go down

Dashboard trim
Page 1 of 1