GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parking Light trouble

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
harrisons13

harrisons13

Parking Light trouble Empty
PostSubject: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 5:46 pm

A guy online with a '91 OCC has parking lights and dash lights that won't work. The headlights and twilight sentinel work fine, but all the parking lights including the rear lights don't work, even with the headlights on. He's already replaced the light switch, and even the twilight sentinel module and the dash fuse. He even used a test light and a vltmeter and he is getting power at the fuse box. Before he told me all he had done that my assumption was a fuse problem like he thought but I guess not. Something else is wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:18 am

Did he check for voltage at the bulbs? It could be a, or a couple of grounds. Is there anything else that does not work?
Back to top Go down
lcoleman10

lcoleman10

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I am the one with the park light trouble. this issue is driving me nuts, I have the service manual and I checked just about everything. I believe somehow a wire is burnt up or there is a short somewhere... before the lights went out completely the same thing happened two other times but the lights came right back on without me having to do anything or touch anything...the first time my park lights stopped working they were off for like 5 minutes and suddenly turned back on.. the second time I was leaving work, I flipped on the lights and the came on and I was about to put it in drive an go but they turned off.... they came back on for like 30 seconds and after that they have been off ever since....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm

If it is not blowing a fuse, it is not a short. Did you check fuse 14?

Check the bulb sockets for power when the lights should be on. I am assuming your turn signals, and your license plate lights work. Do you have the two bulb front marker lights? If so, do the turn assist lights work? Do the side marker lights in the front marker lights work?
Back to top Go down
lcoleman10

lcoleman10

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 pm

yes, ive checked fuse 14, I have power at the fuse box.. none of the running lights are working including dash lights.. the dash warning lights work fine, I have no lights for the ac controls or radio. the turn signals work fine, when I press the brake pedal the rear lights work fine, hazard lights work fine, and the headlights high and low beam work fine. The lights on warning chime also works when I switch on the park lights but nothing else related to the park lights work. I checked to see if there was voltage at the front turn signal/park light and there was no voltage until I switched on the blinker. the corner lights do not turn on since the park lights are not on. but before all of that worked just fine. I checked the twilight sentinel module and I am getting power from the park lights there but I believe it stops there. I checked the twilight circuit board and im getting power to the board. if I just knew what wire to tap into I would ust run a fused switch to it to get the lights on.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 2:23 pm

The hazard, turn and stop lights are on a different circuit from the running lights. Check for the ground side for continuity. If you have continuity, check for power to the sockets. If you have not power to the sockets, you have to check the wiring from the switch to the sockets. A brown wire leaves the lamp switch and either stays brown or becomes purple, and goes to the parking lights. You can check for voltage anywhere along the wire, but a common point before the lights would be the first check. You can also check for continuity at the connector for the lamp switch. One way to check in line voltage is to push a needle, or pin through the wire and connect your meter to it.
Back to top Go down
lcoleman10

lcoleman10

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:40 pm

what is the best way to check the grounds? according to the service manual the wire is brown for the lights all through out the car... im suspecting it could be a wire in the body harness but im not sure... I don't wanna break anything trying to trace down a dead wire but I guess ill have to pull the light switch harness and see where the junction meets for it... because I certainly have power after the switch..
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 6:23 pm

First you need the FSM to find them. Once you find them, you can check them. It will tell you where they are in the pages after the diagram.
Back to top Go down
lcoleman10

lcoleman10

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 4:09 am

I got sick of dealing with this electrical issue....ive been trying to figure it out for months now and haven't had any luck so I decided to take it to an auto electrical shop. They should call me back sometime today to tell me whats wrong and depending on what it is I will fix it myself or let them fix it... I hate to have given up on fixing it myself but I believe ive done al I could, I even ran 12V directly to the front light harness and still nothing....I will update the results when I get them, thanks for everbodys help.
Back to top Go down
lcoleman10

lcoleman10

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 7:53 pm

alright so after the OCC being in the shop for about two weeks they found the problem and fixed it. it took em about three days to fix the problem and they said the power wire going into the junction was dead which I already knew that, they checked the grounds and re ran the wire to get power to the lights, im not sure where the junction where they ran the wire, but the guy said they had a hard time figuring it out, but its fixed and now I can finally go get my inspection...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking Light trouble   Parking Light trouble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking Light trouble
Page 1 of 1