GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parking brake light will not go off...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stockfornow

stockfornow

Parking brake light will not go off... Empty
PostSubject: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Applied the parking brake while jacking up the car this weekend. After I released the brake, the light did not go off.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 am

Probably a rusty cable, quite common in northern cars. Get under the car and pull on the cable (in the 'release' direction). It's easiest if you have someone holding the brake release handle at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 am

Lift the pedal up with your toe while pulling the release lever. The sensor is right on the pedal itself.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm

And, if that doesn't fix it... you probably have a blown brake line. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The same thing happened to me recently. Well, not me. To someone I loaned my RMW to. They put the brake on, and when they released it, the light wouldn't go off. I told them how to get it to go off by crawling underneath. They called me back, and told me that the "driver's side frame rail is wet"...

However, on my old 9C1, the brake return spring was weak enough to allow the pedal to drop down one notch which was enough to turn the light on. I fixed it with an elastic band Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:11 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Lift the pedal up with your toe while pulling the release lever. The sensor is right on the pedal itself.

Worked! Thanks Joel!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking brake light will not go off...   Parking brake light will not go off... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking brake light will not go off...
Page 1 of 1