GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has anyone installed curtains?

Go down 
+2
71novaguy
rjathon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Has anyone installed curtains? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Has anyone installed curtains or done something else to provide privacy when sleeping in the back of the wagon on the road?

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Tinted windows, sun screens, then usually have enough luggage and crap in the back it blocks the windows anyway. I've never slept on the side of the road in it, but when we make 14-16 hr roadtrips, I go lay in the back and fall asleep pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 9:41 pm

I have considered mini blinds. I am going to put limo black tint from the B pillar back. I would like to have a partition behind the front seats. Cardboard painted black, or corrugated plastic were my first thoughts. It is difficult to put anything over the windows, because they taper toward the top, and slant in at the top as well.

Something that slides on rods from the front to the back might be the easiest, if you are going to pursue curtains.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 10:22 pm

If you do not have tint film on your windows, just do the hardware store suction cups that have hooks and put up a light-weight but dark fabric and you should be fine.

My last long road trip I pulled over at a rest stop and slept in the back and was so tired I could have cared less about any privacy.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Years ago I did this with a different car. Then I used long rods top and bottom secured at the ends only and the fabric was sewn with pockets the entire width so it could slide along the rods. The lower rod holds the fabric close to the windows. Jeff
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: How did you secure the rods?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 am

bamalongroof wrote:
Years ago I did this with a different car. Then I used long rods top and bottom secured at the ends only and the fabric was sewn with pockets the entire width so it could slide along the rods. The lower rod holds the fabric close to the windows. Jeff

How did you secure the rods? What kind of rods did you use?

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 8:55 pm

I used clips for sun visors and made simple ones in an L shape from something found in a hardware store. The rods were simple metal ones found at the hardware store. I also made an enclosure for the rear hatch area with hidden snaps. I'll look my wagon over and get back about good locations for the clips. Online Metals may help with some longer aluminum rods if you make the curtains properly you only need the tension from the fabric to hold them in place in a hook type clip facing up and down. Jeff
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 am

Thank you Jeff. I am considering using suction cups with little hooks on them as supports and parachute cord for "rods" and then cheap home made curtains to slide over them. That should be a system that will store easily without taking up too much space. The suction cup part could stay there for a while if only they would stick well.

For the rear window perhaps suction cups with Velcro on them and then Velcro sewn into a piece of cloth.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Would like to see the finished product...
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 10:36 pm

That sounds a pretty simple way to approach it would you use the cups at the bottom also? If you need some suction cups with hooks to try this i have many that I use in my work email me your address and I'll send you some. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone installed curtains?   Has anyone installed curtains? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone installed curtains?
Page 1 of 1