GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Grill installed

Go down 
+4
Bewber
94Woody
Cadet57
Indy95LT1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Indy95LT1

Indy95LT1

New Grill installed Empty
PostSubject: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 am

After tracking down all the parts and paint, I installed a SS grill colormatched with OEM chrome emblem. Grill was $30 new aftermarket, $30 OEM chrome bowtie E-bay, and a pint of dupont Chromabase base coat $95. Only used a qtr pint of paint though, I was wanting some spare paint to paint some interior piece's in the future. This has prolly been posted a billion times, figure I'd post it up again New Grill installed Img00012New Grill installed Img00013
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:46 am

Not going after you personally. But I think I may be the only person who doesnt like the SS grill at all. It just looks... weird. That said, the paint looks good.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 11:06 am

How is the fit of the grille? I have heard nothing but horror stories about the cheap aftermarket grilles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Not going after you personally. But I think I may be the only person who doesnt like the SS grill at all. It just looks... weird. That said, the paint looks good.

That makes two of us. cheers

But I do really like the paint match. I want to do that with my OEM. Red with black insert.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Looks great and thanks for showing off your work. I like the grill on some cars based on color, and yours is one of them - but I'm not a huge fan of having both the impala grill AND the chevy hood ornament.

Having the chrome chevy logo right beneath a chrome chevy logo, to me, is like having English subtitles in a movie when the people are speaking perfectly good English. Having both be so prominant makes it that much more obvious to me that one of them isn't supposed to be there from the factory. I'd keep the grille and look for a different hood ornament that's both fancy AND shmancy - like a chrome skull.

OAR - just get a 2" cowl induction hood and eliminate the H.O alltogether. It'll be easy to do since you have to paint your mirrors anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 pm

It turned out good....but it is overkill with the hood ornament. Find an LTZ emblem, and you'll be good to go....I personally like the idea of keeping a caprice a caprice, and not impalazing it....but to each their own....I'd be a damn liar if I said I didn't do that before, lol...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 pm

I think it looks great!! I hate the flaky half worn Caprice grills some people have...1st thing I did to the Caprice wagon I bought was to chuck it and go with the SS one. Smile

If you can ditch the hood ornament...it would be slicker. Really good paint work too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Indy95LT1

Indy95LT1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:30 pm

94Woody wrote:
How is the fit of the grille? I have heard nothing but horror stories about the cheap aftermarket grilles.
I was worried about the fit also, to my surprise I didnt have to do anything but bolt it on. The studs lined right up so did all the guide pins it even came with the rubber filler pieces on both sides. I dont know what brand it is, I paint semi's for a living, I have a buddy who does car work order it in for me.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Indy95LT1 wrote:
I paint semi's for a living, I have a buddy who does car work order it in for me.
cool,. how much to paint my w900l aerocab?

Nick
Back to top Go down
Indy95LT1

Indy95LT1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm

phastlt1 wrote:
It turned out good....but it is overkill with the hood ornament. Find an LTZ emblem, and you'll be good to go....I personally like the idea of keeping a caprice a caprice, and not impalazing it....but to each their own....I'd be a damn liar if I said I didn't do that before, lol...
Ya dont want the full impala look, I'm just a fan of the colormatched SS grill, it looks good with the dark red and black. I was surpised with the paint matching as well is it did also for a 15 yr old car. I think a 2-3 inch cowl hood is next on the list, all the trim is coming off, rear roll pan/hidden hitch and a smoothie front bumper. I was thinking of smoothing and painting the black trim ring around the gauge cluster and the wood grain piece around the radio also maybe even just sand and color match all the faux wood grain piece's. Thanks for all your guys input, I figured I just get a bunch of hell about ANOTHER SS grill post LOL I'll post up more as I get more MOD's done
Back to top Go down
Indy95LT1

Indy95LT1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:52 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Indy95LT1 wrote:
I paint semi's for a living, I have a buddy who does car work order it in for me.
cool,. how much to paint my w900l aerocab?

Nick
Depends on alot of things, timeline, type of paint, same color or color change, jambs and underhood or not, single color or two tone, the full overall jobs I've done at the shop on the clock run $2500 for the sand and shoot to $9500+ for a full out top notch paintjob. I do alot of quick and dirtys as I call them, guys dont like there truck sitting long and as long as it looks good running down the road and its shiney there normally happy. To each his own it can be down however you want ot however deep your pockets go BIG TRUCKS BIG BUCKS you prolly already know that by now though
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 am

Indy95LT1 wrote:
I was surpised with the paint matching as well is it did also for a 15 yr old car.

I'm not supprised it matched well, I know the history of your car....that old man babied it and it was always garaged.
Back to top Go down
Indy95LT1

Indy95LT1

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am

phastlt1 wrote:
Indy95LT1 wrote:
I was surpised with the paint matching as well is it did also for a 15 yr old car.

I'm not supprised it matched well, I know the history of your car....that old man babied it and it was always garaged.
Yes very true, red is still the worse color for fading and its dead on. Sometimes you luck out, but I guess theres a reason I overpaid some for the car also
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Please don't mention red paint fading. You'll make me cry if I look out the window at my car. lol

I'll work on that in the fall though, I promise. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Please don't mention red paint fading. You'll make me cry if I look out the window at my car. lol

I'll work on that in the fall though, I promise. Very Happy

oh you really need to come over and see what happens when the clear goes.....and mine is the same color as yours.

Nice paint btw, Indy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Trust me, my clear IS going/gone.

My phone is back on, but if you've seen the thread my car is running like crap. It's going on my neighbor's lift Sunday/Monday so we'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Grill installed   New Grill installed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Grill installed
Page 1 of 1