GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!

Go down 
+2
Wagoninabox
udownwitk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
udownwitk

udownwitk

Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Empty
PostSubject: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 7:47 pm

So i've had a leak above the driver quarter glass fever since i got the wagon. I am currently getting the headliner done and while it's out, i want to fix the leak. Well turns out, it also leaked on the passenger side at, what seems like, the last torx closest to the rear. I did some reading on here and have seen a few methods but still unsure on how to proceed. I just got the side parts of the roof rack off. Im thinking the part near the vista glass doesn't need to come out?

here are where mine were leaking:

Got everything off and vacuumed some crud out. need to figure out what to do next:

So far, ONLY ONE of these things (rivnuts i think) spun loose, all others are in tact. How do i get it out without damaging the roof and what do i replace it with?

Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  2015-03-05%2019.02.53_zpswajuq4st

I was instructed to get this stuff to reattach the SAIL panel, will this also work for sealing whatever needs to be sealed??

Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  20150305_175657_zpsr6wih1y5
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Personally, I would not use urethane on anything but the windshield. It may be okay for the fly away trim but found that 3M double sided tape works just fine.

Urethane is not UV stable so anything exposed will degrade.

Since you are this far in, you really need to take off the back luggage piece (that has wiper mount hole) and the front luggage piece (that is the back of the vista glass). You need to tend to all of it at once and reseal it all to ensure no future leaks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 pm

I would not use the urethane except for windows and the fly away panels. There really is no other place to put it.

Clean the channels under the roof rack sides, and use regular 20 year home roof sealer applied in a thin layer.

You can make a tool with a bolt, nut and washer to tighten the loose rivnut. put the nut on the bolt, and then the washer. Screw a long bolt (metric 5 or 6) part way into the rivnut, and hold the head while tightening the nut against the washer. It will draw the rivnut tight in the hole.

The first picture shows leaking between the quarter glass and the body. The only way that leak can be stopped permanently is to remove and reinstall the glass. The molding around the glass can not be removed separately from the glass. If you try to patch it, it will return in a short period of time, because there is probably rust on the metal under the reveal. The rust will continue to spread unless it is treated, and the only way to get to it is to remove the glass. Since you have the headliner out, the glass is not too difficult to remove. The best tool to remove it is a vibrator saw with a modified spade (flat end) saw blade. I ground the edge so that it had no more "teeth" and is a sharp edge. You can only remove it from the inside without damaging the reveal molding on the outside. It will take you an afternoon to remove it, and repair the rust. Then you have to wait a day to paint, and another day for the paint to cure. The next step is to put some urethane prep on the paint. While you are waiting for the paint to dry, shave/trim the urethane on the back side of the reveal so that you can put another bead of urethane on it. Once all the prep work is done, you can put your bead of urethane on the reveal, and install the window, pressing it tightly against the standing seam all the way around. The nuts are there to hold the window in place until the urethane sets, do not tighten them excessively or they will cause warping in the chrome around the glass.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 am

So how did this come out for you?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 7:38 am

Sad thing really,.. he stopped up some holes with urethane,. but the car was still leaking,. it filled with water and he was drowned never to be heard from again,.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks 94woody.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 am

94Woody wrote:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t11828-1992-buick-roadmaster-wagon
Must be his estate trying to sell it...would that have a flood title? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 11:07 am

lmao Y'all are fools. Korey is around with a 2nd wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!    Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Ways to Fix Roof Leak(s)... NEED HELP!!
Page 1 of 1