GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I think I have a leak

Go down 
+6
silverfox103
convert2diesel
jasonlachapelle
Sprocket
JoeT
jayoldschool
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

I think I have a leak Empty
PostSubject: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 pm

... lol

I think I have a leak DSC_0106_zpsd5ea4a5d

Here's the back story...

Replaced the sender last fall due to rotted lines/bad end connectors. Had to repair two of the ends on the lines on the car as well. Did the pump at the same time just because. I've noticed that it smells like gas after I park it right after filling. Not after driving it for a day (when the fuel level drops). Once, when it was raining, I had just filled the car, then turned left into a parking spot. Noticed the gas drips on the wet pavement. Today, I filled up when it was around 90F. Cold gas, hot day, filled to the top. Drove less than a mile, turned left to park, and with the driver's side slightly downhill. The above waterfall (gasfall?) was the result. In case the pic is too small, it was still pouring off the top of the tank as I took the pic. Moved the car, parked with the driver's side slightly uphill, and it stopped.

Since it only happens right when the tank is full to the top, I'm thinking that it must be the seal around the sender. Don't think it would be lines, there is no leak with the car running.

I'm going to lower the tank to check it out tomorrow. Can't wait until it's empty, taking it on vacation this weekend. If anyone has thoughts, or advice, I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Mine did EXACTLY The same thing after a pump replacement.
Check the lines, fittings and flange first. If you don't find anything there, take a hard look at the top of the tank itself. Mine had a crack along the upper surface, between the sending unit mounting plate and the outer edge of the tank. It would only leak when very full or if tilted up on the passenger side.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm now thinking I can't lower it enough to check the top of the tank while it's full due to the fill hose. I don't think there is slack to drop, and I don't have a gas safe container big enough for 20 gallons...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Has happened to me twice.

First time when I bought Grimace. Problem was the top of the tank was cracked.

Second time was right after the 9PM-4AM fuel pump swap in Dr. Old's driveway after getting towed 30 miles to his house. That time the o-ring I used (they gave two with the pump) was the wrong one and it was pinched and didn't fit right. I thought it was because I had to cut one of the screws off to get the bad pump out.

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 pm

I would just take it on the trip and not fill it all the way and deal with it when you get home.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 pm

^ I would also do that.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 pm

If you can drop it enough to see the top of the tank, get a tube of Black RTV Gasket maker and fill in any cracks and around the top of the sender unit to get you on your holiday and back. When you get back, I'll help you do it right.

Up to my butt in alligators this week or I'd come out and help.

Bill
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Jason, with all your cars, transfer the gas to another car. I think I would want to know exactly where it was leaking before driving it the distance you are going.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am

I agree with Tom about fixing it first versus driving it on a trip especially with your family in the car.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 am

I switched the three connectors coming off the tank to clamps. I got rid off the GM snap on connectors. I was getting leaks. Might have a crack in the lines

Does it simply show up overnight, or while the car is running?

Start by engaging the key on several times, but don't start it. If a puddle shows, I'd bet on the
the high pressure outlet to the engine.
It's less likely to be the return, as it not under quite as much pressure. Not as likely to be the canister purge line.

Keep in mind there is a ball check in the feed line that keeps fuel in the line to make starting faster. A cracked line or bad connection could put fuel back on the top of the tank, as the pressure goes back to zero.

Does it take longer to start lately? That could mean the fuel has drained from the line and has to be repressurized before it will start

. As you say, it it only seems to happen on a full tank, I'd also suspect a cracked tank or bad seal as well, particlarly that it was disturbed last year via repair.Might be the top metal plate is all rusty as hell.If it was the rubber gasket,

Based on the picture though,  it makes it look like that the leak is under the fill tube, but your description clearly indicates it coming off the top of the tank.

Dave

Dave
Back to top Go down
CowboyWagon

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Those are some SEXY steals ya got on there... After all the prep work we did for the trip, you find this now? I would drive it too and not worry about it. OR you can borrow my awesome toyota corolla. One more project to add to the list...
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Insure it very well for the trip,.
drive south,.
tragedy occurs,.
Buy rust free southern vehicle,.

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I wonder if it would go over Niagara falls like a barrel?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 pm

I had a similar issue after a pump replacement. In my case it turned out to be that the filler 'neck' wasn't clamped down quite right and it leaked when full. Just something else to check out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Same here. I was "in the tank" once, and didn't set the rubber gasket well. It leaked from the top.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I have a leak   I think I have a leak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think I have a leak
Page 1 of 1