GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In the market for a GM radio

Go down 
+5
sherlock9c1
dmg4
bigredwagon
Andebe
harrisons13
9 posters
AuthorMessage
harrisons13

harrisons13

In the market for a GM radio Empty
PostSubject: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 7:30 pm

I have a few questions regarding factory GM radios. Im am considering getting either an upscale 91-94 Buick Roadmaster Radio, or a 95+ Caprice Radio. Does anybody have any for sale? I currently have an aftermarket kenwood cassette player. Does anybody know about fitting issues i may run into? And if the radio would go on with the headlights etc, my kenwood lights up at night, but i was wondering if the stock GM ones do? And how to get them to?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 am

Ebay has quite a few for sale,most will be plug and play, with in my experience,only minor tweaking needed for fitment.
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm actually looking for something similar.

harrisons13, you have a 93? I have a 94 and I believe it's an odd size at 1-1/2 din. I think GM stopped the odd 1-1/2 size and went to the std 2 din in 95.
Your kenwood should fit fine, its probably smaller (1 din) so you'll need a filler plate to close the gap.

Would like to have an oem unit. something with a cd player and aux plug if possible.  
Anyone know what factory radios that would fit? Guessing I would need a pre 95 to fit cause I dont want to hack up my dash.

I did see one on ebay but it was like 400 bux, way out of my price range.

Last edited by bigredwagon on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phone left out half my post.)
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Enter your car's info at Crutchfield.com and your can find several options that will fit and work. The limiting factor in these wagons is the depth of the unit. So, there are only a few models that will fit. But, I found several at Crutchfield that have AM/FM/CD/USB and AUX for less than $100. Unless you are going to change out the rear speakers too, don't waste your money on a more expensive unit.

I have a stock radio/cassette unit from a 1996 Caprice wagon if you want it for $25. That's $375 off the eBay price (hah!). PM me.
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 pm

That's a good place for the OP to get an installation kit for his head unit.

I'm looking for oem. My stereo is actually nice w/ equalizer but only has cassette and the cassette is used up.
Would like to find someone who has a 94 w/cd and swapped it out for something else.
I want the factory look, unmolested dash and hvac to dim properly. An aux can be put in a factory unit.
Thanks for the offer but its a lateral movement and I'm not totally sure a 96 would even fit my application.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Andebe wrote:
Ebay has quite a few for sale,most will be plug and play, with in my experience,only minor tweaking needed for fitment.
Let me be more clear...I have done this mod. Paid $100-125. Lots,read more than half a dozen,of models will work for our rides. As for minor tweaking...Broke a couple of tabs,etc. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I have a GM CD player that came out of a '93 RM if you're interested. Send me a PM.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Wait--is it FOR SURE 2-din in the 1995? If so, I'm getting myself a '95 and getting the dual-din navigation unit I was wanting!
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am

hi Sherlock9c1 do you still have 1 1/2 din cd?
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 12:48 pm

TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
Wait--is it FOR SURE 2-din in the 1995? If so, I'm getting myself a '95 and getting the dual-din navigation unit I was wanting!

I put a Kenwood DNX 890HD into my '96. I don't know about '95 but my '94 had a smaller opening in the dash. It did look to me like I could have used the dash panel out of a '96 though.

The Kenwood is pretty deep so I used a dremel to cut some protrusions out of the back of the car's radio box. I also found that running the bulky wiring outside that box worked quite well. My double din radio fits like it was made for the car. Its face is flush with the dash panel and it works great with the stock speakers. I added a small switch to disable the power antenna since I listen to CDs or stream Pandora which the Kenwood does with an app.

In the picture I have a cell phone holder that clamps onto the divider between the HVAC and radio.

In the market for a GM radio Buick-radio-1024x768

Note that I routed the Garmin GPS receiver up to the skylight because the Low-E glass of the windshield blocked the signal and nobody sees it where it is. Also next to it is my toll transponder where it works perfectly.

(did I mention this car is for sale? http://www.patdonahue.com/1996-buick-roadmaster-estate-wagon-for-sale/)
Back to top Go down
http://www.patdonahue.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 6:49 pm

I have a Pioneer DEH-P77DH that I bought on ebay for about $65. It only needed a couple of 1/8 inch rubber washer between it and the original mount to make it fit. The unit originally sold for about $450. I have one in each of my OCCs, and the both work great. There is an installation kit available at Wallyworld (if you dare park in their parking lot).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a GM radio   In the market for a GM radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the market for a GM radio
Page 1 of 1