GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

water leak at weatherstripping

Go down 
+2
phantom 309
jasonlachapelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

water leak at weatherstripping Empty
PostSubject: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

I found the source of the water accumulation in the caprice.  Using a hose, I found that water on the passenger side channel on the rooof drains down around the rear passenger door weatherstripping (C-pillar ?)   and follows it down to where there is a "gap" in the weatherstripping, and partly flows into the car.  I can see the water following the weatherstripping, but unlike the Driver's side, where it just drains outside the car, on the passenger side it just goes under the weatherstripping and pools where the carpet would end.

It just pools under the removal plastic door sill, from that little grommet back.  I guess it had been happening for a while, and soaking up into the felt sub-carpet.  

Any idea how to stop the infiltration ?  The weatherstripping is a bit loose.  Do I need to glue it back (if so, which adhesive works ?) or should I be sealing the "gap" in the weatherstripping ?

water leak at weatherstripping 20160519_2004101_zpsiwrsa8rv
water leak at weatherstripping 20160508_1654541_zpsro7kyxcc
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 4:26 am

lots of trim glues available,.use isopropyl to clean things,.
adjust the door striker in another .100,.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 5:07 am

The water comes in whether the door is open or closed. Is the idea with the striker to get the door to put more pressure on the seal ?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 5:45 am

If you can find an older guy at a body shop, he might also be able to "adjust" the curvature of the upper part of the door. As in moving the striker, this is a matter of a tenth of an inch or so to apply sufficient pressure to seal the leak. If it is still leaking after you reattach and seal the weatherstripping, I'd try this next. I've had to do it on two of my wagons to resolve a wind noise issue (slight, but oh so annoying once you can hear it). It's a not an uncommon problem, and can sometimes follow when the door get slammed shut with something stuck in the jamb, or following gremlin activity.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 6:47 pm

The way to check your seal is to put a dollar bill (any denomination will do) inbetween the door and seal. It should have some a noticeable resistance to being pulled out. If it slips out freely, the seal is not doing its job, and needs an adjustment.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2016 11:17 pm

thanks. I cleaned the seal and metal seam with isopropyl alcohol, then applied some of the leftover roofing sealer. We'll see how it works. I'll let it dry and hose it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 12:27 am

FIXED.

At first, I applied roofing sealer only to the bottom of the weatherstripping, from just above wherei it curves, to the gap over the door sill. I let it dry overnight and hosed it again. Sadly water was still coming in, but now it was just a trickle, coming from higher up, behind the plastic C-pillar trim.

I ran the hose from the bottom to the top an figured out some water was coming from the TOP curve in the weatherstripping. So when water was running along the roof channel, it would just wind up dripping onto the rear passenger door sill, then wick itself into the sub carpet.

I ran more roofing sealer along the weatherstripping. No more leaks. Probably not the correct way to fix the problem, but it worked, and the sealer is black, so it doesn't really show.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 8:01 am

Jason

May or may not help.

I had a similar problem, finally after messing with it for quite a while, I brought it to a glass guy.  On the top of the weather stripping there is a fold / channel, he cleaned that out with a tiny screwdriver.  It was loaded with 20 years of tree stuff which prevented water from draining.  It's not visible unless you open it up.  End of problem

Tom
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks. If you're talking about the weatherstrip that goes around the door (vs the one that goes from front to back over the doors), I tried to clean it yesterday with a tiny screwdriver. There was a bit of debris in there, but it didn't help. I didn't want to pry it more as I was worried it would come off entirely.

It seemed the water was getting in at the bend, where there is a natural seam in the car, and going behind the weatherstripping. I'll try to see what the other side does.

for now, the roofing sealer has resolved the issue by forcing the water to drain on the outside of the weatherstripping.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 5:00 pm

sorry i forgot to reply,.

yes moving the striker in .100 will close the door a little tighter,. commercial cars often have worn back door strikers,..
In serious cases you can buy a new striker,. or move the hinges in a .100 each too,.basically sinking the door into the rubber seal deeper,.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Cool. I'll mark it and move it inwards .1

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Rear doors don't get as much use, so if you have fixed it don't bother moving it tighter.
Door could be harder to shut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: water leak at weatherstripping   water leak at weatherstripping Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water leak at weatherstripping
Page 1 of 1