GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Battery Replacement---question!

Go down 
+3
MalibuSSwagon
paart
silverfox103
7 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

Battery Replacement---question! Empty
PostSubject: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Battery died in the Mrs.' Caddy CTS, probably 4 or 5 years old. Took the battery out to bring it to the parts store and noticed that it physically looks the same as the battery in my Roadmaster Wagon and Cadillac Fleetwood. I took one out of the wagon, installed and she started right up.

I did notice that the CTS area near the battery is pretty cramped, but there is room. I measured the batteries and there is 3/4 of an inch difference in height; everything else is the same. Because the CTS battery is an odd ball it is 75 to 100 dollars more.

So, wondering is there any reason I can't use the cheaper wagon battery. Also, the wagon battery has more cranking amps.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 7:48 pm

I think I've seen that much physical difference, in the same group number, between batteries from different manufacturers. As long as the the clamp tightens properly, the cables reach, and there's no interference at the top with the hood closed, there should be no reason not to use the "non-custom size" battery.
I imagine that the local "Caddy" dealer would frown on it though! ($$$) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 8:11 pm

That's the answer I'm looking for! It fits, doesn't hit the hood and the terminals are side mounted.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm

If it fits, go with it. I keep batteries that are good from parts trucks as spares, since it seems GM used the same size battery for decades.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 am

Same here.

It fits... no sparks... I'm happy.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 9:11 am

The original Delco CTS battery has provisions for external venting. The B-Body batteries do not.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 9:41 am

if the battery is under the hood,. i wouldn't worry about 'external venting",..
if its under the back seat of the trunk,. then external venting is definitely necessary,.
JM2C
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 am

The battery is under the hood. I posted the same post on the Cadillac CTS Forum. As it is here, there is always someone that has had this problem. Two guys posted and they said they have run the 78 size batteries without any problems. Looked at the battery that I am replacing, it's not vented either.

Heading out to get a battery.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 am

""if the battery is under the hood,. i wouldn't worry about 'external venting",..
if its under the back seat of the trunk,. then external venting is definitely necessary,.""

All true.

CTS-V is inside.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

80s full size Caddies spec'd Group 75. Bigger/stronger 78s are a drop in. Use the biggest battery with the best specs that fits in the hole, especially in places that go below freezing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Replacement---question!   Battery Replacement---question! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Replacement---question!
Page 1 of 1