GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rauldelp

rauldelp

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Empty
PostSubject: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Two in one day? Sure, I'm needy!

I'm going to be upgrading the stereo in the Roadmaster and I'd like to add an aux jack to my radio. My plan was to buy a radio on the bay, install the aux jack, test it, install that one into my car, then do the aux jack to mine and sell it on the bay. Nice round works, no trouble.

The annoyance is that apparently the radios with the 5 band equalizer(GM #16085414) are apparently rare (if I go by the listings). I planned on $25-50 bucks to get the practice/donor radio, not $100-250?! It'd be a shame to ruin.

Any of you fine car collector folks have one of these radios spare? For sale even? We can even work out a deal where I can do the mod on both and you get yours modded back (There's too many people doing these for it to be that complicated).

My hobby is repairing and designing tube guitar and stereo amplifiers so I should already have all the parts, you'd just need to tell me if you want the aux port on the face (somewhere, I'm not sure where there's a gap) or like me, I'll be routing it out the back so I can do a hidden bluetooth setup.

Please let me know! I'm going to be trying to get all this done for Wagonfest FL, so I've got a little over a month to do it!

Thanks!

*edited to add factory part number*
Back to top Go down
turnofftheradio

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 am

I'll keep my eyes out at the yard this weekend, if the weather isn't too cold/wet. I have a few small silly things to find if I can get out. $14.99 per oem stereo there.

I'd hit the yards before ebay to avoid hard to find parts markup, 100-250 is a lot of coin for an old stereo. Are you sure that is the radio you want? there are a lot of gm radios out there with eq capability. I might suggest the monsoon version that usually has a working 7-9pin plug in the back where you can add an input with a module readily available, without the hassle (for a price). But, it sounds like a fun project to hack a stereo too.

Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for helping the hunt!

I like the idea of easier, I think there were some that had a seperate cassette or CD unit that would probably use that smaller plug and would make things tons easier. I just don't want it to look too modern, and it should have the factory green led lettering, so it'll match.

Would the more modern Roadmaster radios fit I wonder? Those things are selling for darn near 50 bucks shipped and they're new with cassette and cd. I thought the 94+ models got a double din radio? I'm probably mistaken as I haven't seen it in person to judge size. I'll be looking through the forums to get learned.

Back to top Go down
turnofftheradio

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2017 2:58 pm

rauldelp wrote:
Thanks for helping the hunt!

I like the idea of easier, I think there were some that had a seperate cassette or CD unit that would probably use that smaller plug and would make things tons easier. I just don't want it to look too modern, and it should have the factory green led lettering, so it'll match.

Would the more modern Roadmaster radios fit I wonder? Those things are selling for darn near 50 bucks shipped and they're new with cassette and cd. I thought the 94+ models got a double din radio? I'm probably mistaken as I haven't seen it in person to judge size. I'll be looking through the forums to get learned.

You are correct that the 94-96 are double din. I don't know about that swap, but the Caprice guys can do it.
If I remember correctly, the suburban was very common to have the remote cassette. I think the harness changes throughout some years that do fit din an half, and the Saturn one has mp3 capability but it's yellow lit. If you google GM aux-7 or aux-9 I think that was the fancy connection on the back. If you want to attempt the double din I have a 96 stereo with a tape problem and CD eject problem. More work than worth it probably.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm

I have one of those 5 band EQ head units. It was in my 92 RMW. I'll dig it out. I'll be in FL mid March. I'm always up for a visit to Hollywood beach.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 am

Very cool, thanks! Might be enough time to get it put together for wagonfest!
Back to top Go down
threetimes

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I have a radio out of a 95 caprice wagon if that might work for what you are doing? I should add that it an am/fm cassette if memory serves me. Was removed from a running driving car and always stored in doors.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 am

threetimes wrote:
I have a radio out of a 95 caprice wagon if that might work for what you are doing? I should add that it an am/fm cassette if memory serves me. Was removed from a running driving car and always stored in doors.

Thanks anyway, but I'd like to keep it looking as close to original as possible. 94 and up started looking rounder and nicer.

This thing is just on the edge of things looking smooth.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 7:24 pm

This one? I found my pic in my photobucket. It's out in the garage, somewhere.

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? HPIM1939
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
This one?  I found my pic in my photobucket.  It's out in the garage, somewhere.

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? HPIM1939

Winner winner!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Found it. I'm in your area next week. I may be able to bring it with me, but I'm going carry on only. If I bring it, can you pick in Davie 33324? If I can't bring it, do you want it mailed?
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 2:11 pm

I live maybe 15 minutes from 33324. I can pick it up. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Ok, I'll get it there. Maybe we can meet at Billy's Tavern. Pine Island and 595.

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? DSC_0061_zpsrojprzli

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? DSC_0062_zpsbzoo0fsk
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 pm

The radio is safely in FL. Send me a pm and we'll coordinate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?   Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Factory EQ radio for 93 Roady?
Page 1 of 1