GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
roadm96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roadm96

RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Empty
PostSubject: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

Good Morning, I have a RMW parts car I've been stripping down.
Question: Is it worth the effort to remove the windshield, vista glass and Quarter windows?
I suspect removal is not simple.
If there is a need for these glass items, I will attempt to take them out.
Thought I'd check with the experts first.
Thanks for your input.

Bill Healy
96 RMW DCM/Burgundy
68 Country Squire - 428 with Factory Buckets
69 TR6
69 Pontiac Grand Prix - 400, 4 Spd
02 MB E55 AMG
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 8:29 am

I stripped down a RMW.  I did remove the vista window and quarter glass.  I would not bother again.  There is seldom a need for them.  Unless someone wants them, send them to the crusher.  If I remember correctly only one quarter glass made it out in one piece. But make sure you take out the front door panels, especially drivers side.

My 2 cents Bill

Tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

Rear gate glass with working defroster elements is with keeping in my opinion. But that's all it is, my opinion.
Back to top Go down
roadm96

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks, I did remove the tail gate and flip up glass. Based on the feedback so far, its not worth the effort removing the Windshield or Rear Qtr glass.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 pm

I have only ever seen one vista glass break, brokcello I believe, with a rock coming through it. The rear corner glass is easy enough I have heard of few of those falling off.

Tim
Back to top Go down
roadm96

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks, Can the rear Qtr windows come out, without removing the entire side rear window assembly?
According to my shop manual, it's one unit.
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm

If the windshield is a "Sungate", which would be the original, and it's free from stone chips and scratches, then it should be well worth saving. On the negative side, windshields have to be cut out, using special tools.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am

I have removed all of the glass from my wagon and replaced it because some idiot did not use a blanket on them when he was welding the holes on the roof shut. There are no new pieces of glass for either the vista or quarter glass. Each one is worth about $150-250 if someone needs one. Packing and shipping runs about $150-200.

I would save the vista glass and the quarter glass, if you can get them off. A 94-96 should have the vista glass secured by the nuts, and butyl caulk. You do have to remove the roof rack perimeter to get it off. Once you remove the nuts, you should be able to push up on it, and have it come off. The butyl makes a mess with a hundred sticky strings.

The side glass is a lot more difficult to get off, but it can be done. You must remove it from the inside, or you will damage the reveal. You can not wire it off. I use a vibrating cutter with a custom made knife blade. Keep it close to the metal, and make sure it does not go too far under the window, or it will damage the reveal. The reveal is permanently attached to the glass, and if it is damaged around the outside, there is no fix for it. Put a piece of tape on the vertical hinge mount to keep from scratching the finish off.

Save the gas tank if it is in good condition. There are no replacements, and the junk yards always punch a hole in them to drain them. Almost impossible to find.

OEM doors and fenders are getting hard to find. Good wheelhouses, and core support are hard to find items. The left rear axle should be good (the right one takes all of the punishment). Things like the upper radiator mount, the fan clips on the radiator, gate glass hinges, antenna, hood, rear suspension arms, front bumper, headlight switch retaining nut, spare tire hold down clip in the D pillar, rear view mirrors (inside and out), steering column, steering intermediate shaft if the upper rubber boot is good, vista window trim with sunshade, door seals can not be bought new.

If it has the mechanical fan, save the tensioner. It is not available aftermarket.

The wing windows can be removed by detaching the lower lock/hinge, then you can use a long screwdriver and hammer to tap the hinge pins out. The lower hinge/locks seldom break, but can, and are not available.

If it has a Sungate windshield, it is probably delaminating around the perimeter, and usually worthless.

I think that is all for now.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roadm96

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks for taking the time to provide thorough feedback Sir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?   RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RMW - Body Glass - Worth Saving?
Page 1 of 1