GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

weight distribution hitch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

weight distribution hitch Empty
PostSubject: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm

Considering a weight distribution hitch but concerned about it dragging worse than the jack does not. The other route is to just put sway control on the hitch. My trailers are not that heavy (3500 lbs worse case) and no plans to tow more weight, would just like it to be a bit more quite when passing trucks.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 am

At 3500lbs, a weight distributing hitch is not strictly necessary and I personally believe that sway control arms are more of a band-aid than a cure. Make sure the car's suspension is in good shape and make sure your tongue weight is around 10% of the trailer's weight.

That said, a weight distributing hitch will not cause the rear of the car to sag -- just the opposite. It transfers some of the tongue weight from the rear axle to the front, which tends to lift the height at the hitch. This leveling of the car has the benefit of reducing any tendency to sway -- the rear axle is much less of a pivot point and the front wheels have a firmer grip to keep things in line.

I will also mention that most North American jurisdictions require trailer brakes on at least one axle if the gross trailer weight exceeds 3,000 lbs.* so if you are towing 3,500 lbs you should probably have electric brakes installed. In the event that you run into sudden and unexpected trailer sway, such as from a sudden crosswind, a touch of trailer brake from the manual lever on the controller can help steady it down before things get out of hand. Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

*There are exceptions, one or two don't require it at all, some have a lower weight threshold, some require brakes on all trailer axles..
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am

Yup I understand all above.  The Wagon does not sag now, airlift bags helped this.  WD hitch will hang lower and with the rear overhang it scrapes on the driveway now.  It only sways when loaded up heavy.  Might try s little more air in the car and trailer tires on the next load.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Number of plies in the tires, air pressure,
Tire weight ratings etc
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Number of plies in the tires, air pressure,
Tire weight ratings etc

Agreed Nick. I have radials on the trailer but I think I need to run a few more PSI for the next trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weight distribution hitch   weight distribution hitch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

weight distribution hitch
Page 1 of 1