GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering gear bench adjustment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jamlip

Steering gear bench adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 2:11 am

I'm working through reducing the steering slop in my 1995 RWM.

My steering box needs tightening-up. I've seen the YouTube videos showing how to adjust the allen screw on top, but I understand there's a more comprehensive method that involves making some additional adjustments with the box removed from the car.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find info on this procedure?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 8:57 am

It is in the FSM. To adjust the torrington bearing, you must loosen the lock ring at the input shaft (a BFH and piece of bar stock will work), tighten the adjuster with a spanner that fits the two holes, and retighten the lock ring. The setting for the adjuster is to tighten until it stops, then loosen it 1/2 inch on the perimeter. Hold it in that position while tightening the lock ring. There is a trick to it...the box must be at center, and you must approach top cent from the clockwise direction. If you do not do it that way, the gear will push the shaft out, and you will not get it tight. You must tighten the torrington bearing first, then the post. There are some torque specs that are stated in the FSM.

It can be done in the car, but is much easier on a bench,, especially if you want to make sure the torque specs are correct.

I posted the instructions on the forum, and on ISSF some time ago, and if you search for them you should be able to find the thread.
Back to top Go down
jamlip

PostSubject: Re: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks Fred. I did search but couldn't find it. 'Torrington' is a useful search term - I'll try again now.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 9:25 am

I do not think I used the term torriington in my instructions.
Back to top Go down
jamlip

PostSubject: Re: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 3:35 am

OK, job done.

The reason for not simply swapping the box for a supposedly reconditioned unit was that I kept reading reviews which suggested that many of these units are just used units that are cleaned and painted. I wanted a box that felt new, or as close as I could get.

Turns out there were plenty of guides available on the web. I used this one.

The hardest part was reinstalling the ball-bearings. It took me ten or so goes to get my head around it. Also, make absolutely sure the steering worm and valve body are aligned with each other. The slop in my box meant the two had separated - difficult to explain, but there's a pin that keeps everything in register, and it had skipped out of the notch in the valve body and re-seated (bound?) itself off-centre. I think this may have contributed to my steering not centering correctly.

I also fitted a new rag joint to the stock steering column. I had done the Jeep XJ column mod, but I felt that it didn't suit the character of the car. The new rag joint made a world of difference. The steering is now isolated, but there is no central play. You can palm the wheel with very little effort, and it rolls back to center with that big, lazy GM cop-cruiser vibe. I think it feels like a big Buick should.

Whilst I was oily, I fitted new spark plugs and leads. I cracked a plug (cylinder 2) and it took me three days to source the misfire. That was annoying.

Also cleaned the MAF. Tried the hockey-puck intake thing but couldn't get on with it either, so I put the intake home plate / resonator back on.

Anyway, the car now steers and goes beautifully. Really worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering gear bench adjustment   Steering gear bench adjustment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering gear bench adjustment
Page 1 of 1