GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Resurecting the Caprice

Go down 
+7
BigBlackBeaSSt
93wgn
toomanytoyz
sherlock9c1
phantom 309
brokecello
DBeaSSt
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Resurecting the Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:56 pm

A couple years ago (yeah it's been that long) I purchased a 96 Caprice wagon from a certain forum member here who happens to live in Michigan. Well it's been sitting in my "lot" for a while and this spring I finally got around to starting to get her back on the road. Thanks to Chris for helping me out... okay, taking care of the initial engine work.

Before I could drive it, she needed a starter, water pump and power steering pump. While at it a gently used Opti was installed along with a better condition vent harness.

Inspection folks said front brakes too so new pads installed.

Next is the body work. I've been collecting the necessary parts and have them all sitting around. So yesterday I took the car to a local shop. and got an estimate and scheduled a date for the work. Today I picked up the inner fenders from my powder coat guy and over the weekend I'll be stuffing all the 'new' parts into the wagon for drop off Monday. Didn't quite make my WF10 deadline to get her fixed but won't be long now!!

A few pics for those who expect them. Wink

Powder coated inner fender wells. This is semi-gloss black, I can't imagine full gloss.
Resurecting the Caprice Fenderwells

A couple shots today of the damage before:
Resurecting the Caprice Caprice-before1

Resurecting the Caprice Caprice-before2

Last edited by DBeaSSt on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Wow, those inner fenders look so nice...

Glad you got an estimate and are moving forward!! Can't wait to see more progress pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 pm

love those inner fenders,.if i was to do a set i,d do them body color,. (not such a good idea with white tho,.)
Nick
ps i have a white 95 parts car sitting here with no motor trans with red interior,.and 4 caprice wire hub caps too,.
and the white 94 1a2 body with blue plastic guts,.all parts available if you need something,.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Well the Caprice sat at the body shop for a month without being touched. Evil or Very Mad Picked it up last Thursday (8/26) and stopped in at a less local but more trusted shop. Took the car up Tuesday (8/31). Got a call today with the estimate and stopped in at lunch to check the car out. Gave them the go ahead so they'll be starting the work today.

No meaningful pics yet but will try to get a few more as things are added and removed. Smile

Finally, progress!

Looks like the quarter is fixable which will save a lot of welding and window removing.

Anyone have the lower chrome for the dogleg on the quarter and the chrome trim around the wheel well? I don't have replacements for those pieces. Sad
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Is the body shop installing those new inner fenders? If not, and you're doing it, go to the hardware store and buy a big roll of blue painter's tape. then put it on every single edge of the fender and the car. Trust me on this.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:13 pm

The body shop will be doing the right side since they'll have almost the whole thing apart anyway. Good idea though, when it comes time for the left I'll do that. Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 pm

replace all the bolts with cad plated ones or stainless,.

nick
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Dropped off a couple more things at the shop today. Progress is slow but moving.

B pillar is pulled and lined up, quarter is roughly pulled out with the finishing touches once the back door is installed. Front door is installed and lined up.

Quick phone camera shot:
Resurecting the Caprice Newdoor
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Why on Earth would you bother saving THAT thing???? Wink

(Lookin good!) Razz
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh, like I didn't see that one coming. Razz

I'll stop on the way home, can someone loan me a sawzall? Suspect
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm

LOL... I thought you had one????
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Looking good Mike! I will check my local yard this weekend for those missing pieces you need.
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Looks good! I also heard it is in paint right now?!!? Smile
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Door jambs and inside the replacement back door were done yesterday.
Resurecting the Caprice Newpaint

Outside paint should be done soon!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 4:34 pm

pretty valid question tho,. why save a wrecked caprice and kill a wb4?
I,d have thought the wb4 is more desirable?

so 'splain yourself lucy,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 4:47 pm

That one's a 96 Caprice wagon...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Which One Is Better???????   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Reading all this stuff reminded me of a question that I have been meaning to ask but kept FORGETTING!
Of the LT-1 wagons which year is the best the 94,95 or my personal pic the 96 giving equal options and
mileage?
If this question sounds kinda stupid I have a very good reason.
How many of you genuses has heard of a Adult Formal Circumcision?I had the pleasure of getting one yesterday.
It was outpatient and was suppose to take 30 minutes.Well they started at 11am and I hobbled out of the
hospital at 4PM.Ended up taking a my urologist and a vascular surgeon 4 hours to fix my PROBLEM.Believe me
when I say DONT DO THIS NO MATTER WHAT THE DOCTOR TELLS YOU because you cant begin to imagine what
this feels like even with 4 syringes of lidocaine.
And no I am not under the influence of any special medications just what I always take.I am seriously thinking
about buying a gallon of Jack Daniels but I wont because I would have to piss if I drank it.
Glad you are getting the 96 Caprice back together.
Hope You Listen And Heed My Advice
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 5:59 pm

WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm

That hurt to read. Feel better soon Jim. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My Apologies   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I am sorry if I have offended anyone ahead of time but I wouldnt wish this on any adult.If any ladies happen to read
this I am not a crude person but I left out the really nauseating stuff because of all the weak (Canadian)stomachs.
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
I am sorry if I have offended anyone ahead of time but I wouldnt wish this on any adult.If any ladies happen to read
this I am not a crude person but I left out the really nauseating stuff because of all the weak (Canadian)stomachs.
Jim aka Flasheroo

ha,. now you're only half the dick you used to be,.

96 caprice wagon,. meh,. show me the critical differences between 95-96,. oh thats right pita obd2,. what else?

Nick

jim worked in a pickle factory. He had been employed there for a number of years when he came home one day to confess to his wife that he had a terrible compulsion. He had an urge to stick his penis into the pickle slicer. His wife suggested that he should see a sex therapist to talk about it, but jim indicated that he'd be too embarrassed. He vowed to overcome the compulsion on his own. One day a few weeks later, jim came home absolutely ashen. His wife could see at once that something was seriously wrong. "What's wrong, jim?" she asked. "Do you remember that I told you how I had this tremendous urge to put my penis into the pickle slicer?" "Oh, jim, you didn't." "Yes, I did." "My God, jim, what happened?" "I got fired.." "No, jim. I mean, what happened with the pickle slicer?" "Oh...she got fired too."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Please No Jokes   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Nick I am LOL and it hurts like Hell and yes I have stuck more than 1 pickle slicer in fact I lived with the second 1 for
a summer and we still keep in touch.What advantages is the OND2 system over the OBD2?I have seen over on the
other side where guys are converting back to OBD1 on the radical engined cars.
By the way how is the reincarnated old gold wagon doing?Hope she gives as good as the first one did!
Take Care And I Will Be In Pain For A Long Time!
Jim aka Flasheroo
Oh by the way my little brother beat you to it ! He told me not to come home HALF-COCKED
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: What The Hell   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

Yo Nick I dont know if it was my "adult circumcision story" or your funny but very OLD joke but this entry "Resurecting
the Caprice" has disappeared from the normal sites.The only way I found it was by going to my posting entry
list.
See if I am right and yes I am still hurtin!I wonder if we are being monitored at this very moment!So much for free
speech.
Been up all damn nite so it might be my imagination!
Take Care Nick
Jim the walking funny man
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:40 pm

No, nothing has been done to this thread. But yes...the language is being watched.

I do hope your private heals soon Flasheroo.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 pm

there's a 96 caprice wagon in these parts for sale,. nice maroon car,.
4000cdn,. had it for sale for a long time,..3:42's
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1996-Chevrolet-Caprice-wagon-Wagon-last-year-must-sell-3995-W0QQAdIdZ231929591
Resurecting the Caprice 4818h72_19

so chrissy, watching language eh?? give a guy a title and he turns all tough,..

go row yer bow, kid,..

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks Nick but I think that when I do buy it will be a car from the south west like Texas.That Caprice looks good though but Fred has taught me
to look underneath the car before you do anything else.
Nick what do you think about my idea of starting a thread where we all list all the cars and bikes that we have owned from day one.Also list any
and all mods no matter how stupid and useless.This will keep me busy for quite some time.havind owned at least 20 cars,vans and trucks plus 5 motorcycles that I can remember off hand.
Take Care
Jim the Limping man
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

so chrissy, watching language eh?? give a guy a title and he turns all tough,..

go row yer bow, kid,..

nick

Just handling it the right way this time around Nick. Out in the open Smile

Lol...I actually just got back from rowing my bow. Wink

I think that is a great idea Flasheroo, start one!

Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Well this is a little delayed. Picked up the Caprice from the body shop on the 1st. While it ran fine on 7 cylinders I figured that should be fixed before doing any real driving.

So plugs, wires and she's running well. Got it inspected and spent last weekend doing some cleaning and various maintenance stuff.

Resurecting the Caprice Fixedwagon1

Resurecting the Caprice Fixedwagon2

That's all that'll be done for now. More in the spring as funds permit.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:36 pm

hows the paint matchup?? looks just about ready,.. for the sawzall,.

nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Looks AWESOME! Really sharp!
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Looks really Good Mike. I actually remember seeing it at wf 08.

I spoke to Frank last month and he spotted one this past summer while out at dinner one nite.

He left the meal to go get a closer look. The owner came out and said he bought it new. White 96,low miles, and said he would sell it.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm

It needs some flames
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks guys. The paint work was the b pillar, back door and quarter. Fender and front door are Fred sourced from a 9C1 and the hood from a certain WB4 Roadmaster. Color match is nearly perfect.

Came out quite nice and the body guys did great work. Doors open and close nearly perfectly.

Of course the "Coupes are for Chickens" sticker stayed on the back window. Wink
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Looks good, Mike! Another 96 Caprice saved. Smile

...and no one cares. Wink lol
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Sweet! Glad it came out so nice!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 pm

The chrome trim on the side and bumper of that car look SO GOOD. What did you use? Or is that new trim? Mine looks like crap. So crappy I've considered just pulling it.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:45 am

It's all factory trim. It was a Michigan car before coming here. They don't get baked like the southern cars do so the trim holds up a lot better. I didn't even have to polish it up, just a simple wash and wax on the trim.

Edit: I should qualify that "factory trim". Front bumper is original, to my knowledge anyway. Fender and front door are from a 9C1 and already had the right trim on them. Back door and quarter is from a set of spare trim I bought from someone who de-trimmed their car.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 3:15 pm

I want lol! Gorgeous car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resurecting the Caprice   Resurecting the Caprice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resurecting the Caprice
Page 1 of 1