GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Missing anything?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94Woody

94Woody

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 1:47 am

I am slowly aquiring a lot of parts to perform a tuneup/hunt down a miss and stop oil leaks on my Wagon.

So far I have purchased:

New Opti--Delphi
Opti Vent Harness--AC Delco
Plugs--AC Delco Platinum
Wires--AC Delco
Valve Cover Gaskets--Felpro
Intake Gaskets--Felpro
Front Cover gasket/seal set--Felpro
New Oil Cooler lines
Air Filter
PCV Valve
Fuel Filter

Still need to purchase:
Oil Cooler Gasket Set
O2 sensor(s)

This is my first LT1 so my question is...Am I missing anything that I should tackle at the same time? Such as possible oil leaks.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 5:07 am

Don't forget that if you don't know when the last time the trans fluid was changed, now is as good a time as any right along with the rear gasket and fluid.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am

Krzdimond wrote:
Don't forget that if you don't know when the last time the trans fluid was changed, now is as good a time as any right along with the rear gasket and fluid.

Agreed. HOWEVER, don't flush the trans, it's a prescription for trans failure, especially if you've got some miles on the trans. Just drop the pan, change the filter and gasket and refill with new fluid.

Not a requirement, but you have to remove the water pump to change the opti. So this is a convenient time to slap a new water pump and thermostat in there and while you're at it, flush the coolant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:52 am

Should have mentioned that I have a new Water Pump and Thermostat already from fixing the heat.

Had the rear in mind already, does this wagon (94) require the special cover gasket or am I ok with RTV like every other car?

Was gonna make a seperate thread about the Trans but will ask here since it was brought up. The fluid in it is brownish in color. Doesn't smell burnt or anything just dirty. Would it be safe to change it or not? Don't have a lot of trans experience but know that messing with old fluid can sometimes cause problems.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Not sure about the '94, but my '96 with posi has a special gasket.... the axle has "bleeder holes" in the gasket that RTV may cover. Not good if it does Evil or Very Mad (is the gasket "special"? No, it's made of the same stuff all the gaskets are made of, just shaped special)

About the trans, go ahead and change the filter and fluid. If nothing else, it gives you a reference point for the service interval.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 4:35 pm

I read somewhere about people using the wrong gasket on some rear ends and that caused a problem. That is what I meant by Special Smile

Will check with the parts places and get the proper gasket when I buy the trans filter.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Got the gasket and such after making my last post. Just waiting on the horribly slow people at FedEx to deliver my vent harness. First they said it would be here today, now Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Missing anything? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing anything?   Missing anything? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Missing anything?
Page 1 of 1