GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Clifton Springs Hauler

Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Empty
PostSubject: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 10:23 am

Does anyone have experience removing the driver and passenger seat cover to replace foam. My car has 304000 miles of completely flattened seat foam. Can it be done with the seats installed. Also, the fully electric with heat passenger seat only moves forward and backwards but the heat works.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Yes, I've done it. Seat has to come out. Once you flip it over, you'll see the clips and rings that need to come off to get the skins off. Various screws etc, to get trim and switches off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Moving up/downl/tilt requires two motors. I would look at the switch(s), or wiring first. The springs and webbing may be failing as well, giving that sagging seat. Limited seats work like the FW seats, and are different from the standard 6 way tracks.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks Jayoldschool and Fred for the advice.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 11:45 am

From experience, the RMW Limited seats are prone to metal structural failure, adding foam would not cure the problem. A welding shop may be able to fix the issue. I had a 95 RMW Limited, I replaced the seats with non Limited seats.

Tom
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Very good advice from Tom, I think the non-lim RM seats are the best B body seats out there. I put them in my 94 Caprice... with some help from Tom and Sherlock.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Maybe the Limited seat covers could be adapted to the standard seats, or the seats to the base tracks. The design of the seat stitching is different, and would look odd without the rear seats, and you would lose the extra functions of the Limited seats.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Tracks aren't removable on the Lim seats (the base model RM are, like SS/Caprice) and the foam is different.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Depending on the ability of the individual, adapters could be made to mount the Limited seats on the 6 way tracks. I made adapters to mount Recaros on the original 6 way tracks, so with the necessary ability, adapters can be made. It may require some irreversible changes, but could be done.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks again for the great advice.

Tom- can the non limited seat tracks bolt down to the floor with out mods if I can not easily re use the limited tracks? I'm not in love with the seat covers so swapping out the seats sounds good to me.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm

They both use the same studs on the floor.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks. I guess i'll start looking for a set.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 2:48 pm

What color are you looking for?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2019 6:23 pm

My car is deep cherry, but I have no plans on building a show car (too much rot) so any color would do.
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Not sure if you are looking, but I have a drivers and also a passengers seat from from a limited leather set, as well as complete seat frames, should you need anything from them before they go to the recycling place. I sold the skins to a member here a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi Garrett,

Sorry, didn't see your entry till just now. Already installed a set of non limited seats up front.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?   Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing leather seat covers on RMW limited?
Page 1 of 1