GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sending Unit Question

Go down 
+3
sherlock9c1
Fred Kiehl
Fizzix
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fizzix

Fizzix

Sending Unit Question Empty
PostSubject: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 11:23 am

ok, 2 questions...

Hi, new here... did post in introductions.

93 RMW

Yesterday I began smelling raw fuel near the rear of the car. I have been doing some searches here on the sending unit and fuel lines on the top of the tank.

Before I drop the tank, I want to be ready.

If the car still runs well despite the fuel smell, the sender is probably fine??

Be ready to replace the O-ring and lines?

I figured I order the the O-ring at least and look into those patch hoses....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 2:58 pm

The tanks have a history of leaking from the top. It may be the tank itself. It could also be the vent line to the filler tube. You must remove the tank to determine what the problem is. The sender is probably OK, although one of the lines could be corroded, or loose in the flange. The vent hose to the filler neck is 18mm, but if you clamp it tightly, a 3/4 inch hose will work. Make sure it is a hose for fuel.

If you disconnect the fuel line from the output line of the filter, and attach a partial line, you can use the pump to remove almost all of the gas from the tank, and put it in a fuel container or two. The tank is not that hard to remove when full, but you should empty it before trying to install it.

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm

The "sending unit" includes hard metal lines that rub against the body and do rust over time. It's likely that one of those lines has rusted, and the best fix is a whole new sending unit. I would not bother with just the big o-ring.

If the 91-93 cars are like the '94-96 cars, I disconnect the output of the fuel filter in front of the driver's side rear wheel and then use the test wire under the hood to pump the tank out.

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fizzix

Fizzix

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm

Simple job. A jack and a properly sized piece of Plywood. Don't have to remove the neck from the tank, heck you don't even have to fully pull the tank from under the car.

Sending Unit Question L0MeFE8
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am

94Woody wrote:
Simple job. A jack and a properly sized piece of Plywood. Don't have to remove the neck from the tank, heck you don't even have to fully pull the tank from under the car.

The filler vent hose can be seen at about 1:00 in the pidture. As you can see it is not accessible with the tank installed. Be careful with bending the filler hose, as they are getting old, and can only be replaced with a straight hose, and a diameter adapter for the tank end. Should you need one https://www.fillernecksupply.com/ has them.

There should be a rubber strip where the tank hits the frame. They are usually attached to the frame. If it is missing, an old bicycle tube will work.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
94Woody wrote:

The filler vent hose can be seen at about 1:00 in the picture. As you can see it is not accessible with the tank installed. Be careful with bending the filler hose, as they are getting old, and can only be replaced with a straight hose, and a diameter adapter for the tank end. Should you need one https://www.fillernecksupply.com/ has them.

There should be a rubber strip where the tank hits the frame. They are usually attached to the frame. If it is missing, an old bicycle tube will work.

No hoses were bent or damaged in the making of that picture. Third time the tank was down that week and everything was unbolted from their mounting points. The entire neck was just left in place because it had no reason to come out from under the car.

There is far more room under there than people think. I'm used to working in much tighter spaces daily. This old wagon is much simpler than say a PACCAR MX-13 stuffed between the frame rails of a Peterbilt 579. MAXXFORCE 15 turbo replacements, that's an exercise in flexibility.

Wrestle one of these beasts out from under a 25 year old dump truck and a full B Body fuel tank is a joke.

Sending Unit Question H2lA62h

Had one slip off the jack once after I got it back under the truck (in my current shop without that fancy 4 post lift) that took some grunting and groaning to get back in place, lol.

Sprocket and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm

You may be in better shape than most of old farts who own these antiques. When I was 46, I did a lot of stuff that I have trouble doing now.

94Woody and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pm

You are correct on that one. Although I will say that even at 46 work is no longer very easy. Doing this crap every day for 20+ years is taking it's toll.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 pm

If the sending unit lines are rusted out, you can fix them for ~$20 vs ~$100 for a new sending unit/lines. Not always the best option, but something to consider.

See post below

https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-this-week.260225/post-12138464
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 am

Fix Until Broke wrote:
If the sending unit lines are rusted out, you can fix them for ~$20 vs ~$100 for a new sending unit/lines.  Not always the best option, but something to consider.

See post below

https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-this-week.260225/post-12138464

There is no fix for rusted out sender lines. A new sending unit is the only "fix".
Back to top Go down
dwardo

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 pm

OK. I don't want to derail or hijack this thread so please forgive me. One of the things I'm planning to do to my RMW is to take the fuel tank down, clean it, and replace the fuel pump. For all I know it could be the original pump but it has worked well so far. I've been reading a lot of things about Delco and other fuel pump assemblies failing because the pressure hose is of poor quality and also the wiring. What do you think of me pulling my assembly out and just replacing the fuel pump itself? I'd install new wiring and put a new sock on it. My fuel gauge reads perfectly and I don't really see that I want to replace a known-good American unit with some Chinese crap of uncertain quality. What pump unit would be the most reliable from your experiences?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 5:26 am

Is the pump available separately??
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 6:33 am

Yes the pump is available separately. Get the original AC Delco, Delphi, or Walbro. Make sure you note what engine you have for the correct unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sending Unit Question   Sending Unit Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sending Unit Question
Page 1 of 1