GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Impala SS front sway bar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wojtek

Wojtek

Impala SS front sway bar  Empty
PostSubject: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Just wondering if anybody has swapped out an Impala SS front bar on their wagon and and did it make a noticeable improvement ? Ran across one for sale locally and I know they are a bit bigger , I'm not going to autocross the wagon but I'm always interested in improving the handling . Thanks in advance !
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 5:42 pm

I have found on my wagon that adding a rear sway bar, or going larger in the rear, is a much better way to improve handling. Increasing the front bar will increase understeer and the wagons already have way too much understeer. Increasing rear bar size will decrease understeer.

I currently have the matched front and rear Hotckkiss bars on my wagon and have to say they are excellent for handling. I haven't taken the car to the limits, but it feels almost at neutral but a bit to the understeer (safer) side. They are huge at 1 7/16 front and 1 3/8 rear, but they are hollow. Hotckkiss claims they are the same rate as the old solid bars which were smaller, but heavier.

They aren't cheap, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat as they are very good at what they do.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 9:24 pm

I have a 9C1 bar on the fronts of my wagons, and I do not notice anything different. The 91 OCC is lowered a lot, and seems to be much better in curves. I do not have a rear anti-roll bar on the rear of either.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 10:14 am

I've got the Crown Vic rear bar set up and a complete set of poly bushings for the front just wondered if this would be a noticeable improvement as I'll be removing the front bar to clean and paint it and add the bushings .Thanks for the responses !
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 12:23 pm

Wojtek wrote:
I've got the Crown Vic rear bar set up and a complete set of poly bushings for the front just wondered if this would be a noticeable improvement as I'll be removing the front bar to clean and paint it and add the bushings .Thanks for the responses !

I think it all depends on how the car handles and what you are looking for. I had a stock front bar in the RMW and the smaller Crown Vic bar in the back and it took out some, but not nearly all the understeer. Certainly took out a nice bit of the built in wander these light steering cars have. If you have the bigger Crown Vic bar, the bigger bar in front might help some, but probably would just increase understeer at the same time. Some people like a car that understeers quite a bit, but personally I don't and much prefer something close to neutral as long as it isn't driven on snow and ice if it is a rear drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impala SS front sway bar    Impala SS front sway bar  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Impala SS front sway bar
Page 1 of 1