GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?

Go down 
+4
jayoldschool
sherlock9c1
95BRMW
44whoo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
44whoo

impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Empty
PostSubject: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm

is it worth it to put a impala ss steering box and front sway bar on a 95 rmw?i drive mostly on city streets and the steering is slow and It leans like no other car I own.the wagon has new steering linkage and ball joints and shocks all around.are the box and bar a bolt on deal?will it be a big improvement? would a small crown vic rear bar be any help?

Thanks!
Dave
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm

For leaning the now discontinued rear Ford sway bar did a great job.  Don't know if the regular CV bar would help much as it is much smaller than the one used in the mod.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Check your end links first; are they still there?  No benefit to an Impala SS steering box.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 pm

There is a benefit to an SS box, it is faster ratio.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

I put a 9C1 box (same as the SS box) in both of my wagons, and I like the faster ratio. The front sway bar is a bolt on if you use the mounts for the larger bar. A 9C1 bar should be the same. You should get the heavy duty end links as well. You will probably have to use a nut breaker to remove the old end links. Be careful with the bolts holding the clamps for the sway bar to the frame. The threads are in thin metal, and are easy to strip out. Gentle torque, and thread locker are the ticket to long life for the threads.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
There is a benefit to an SS box, it is faster ratio.
Don't think so:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/pdf/1983-96saginaw800fastratiogears.pdf

FE4 is not specifically called out, but would seem logical to include the thicker .195 torsion bar of the FE3

- J
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Interesting,.

I changed the box on the 95 caprice wagon for a 96 SS box,.

definitely less turns,.

nick
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 am

How does one identify an SS steering box? As far as the wagon leaning into a turn,I have a 9C1
rear sway bar and in my humble opinion it really reduces the lean on turns. I was very surprised
the rear bar helped as much as it did. ed
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 am

The SS and 9C1 box are the same. Turn the input shaft to the left stop, then turn it to the right stop while counting turns. If you get just over 2.5 turns it is the one you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?   impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

impala ss steering box and front sway bar on wagon?
Page 1 of 1